SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
hoodlum
hoodlum is on a distinguished road

Default GM sells Opel to Peugeot (Opel Astra)

I wonder if Astra parts will be harder to find in a couple of years.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-op...-idUSKBN16D0J1

France's PSA Group (PEUP.PA) has agreed to buy Opel from General Motors (GM.N) in a deal valuing the business at 2.2 billion euros ($2.3 billion), creating a new European car giant to challenge market leader Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoodlum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoodlum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: GM sells Opel to Peugeot (Opel Astra)

Shouldn't affect our parts availability just yet car manufacturers are required to stock parts for at least 10 years after the vehicle was discontinued which is 2010 for the astra MK5

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hello,

I agree with nicolas_p. We'll be fine for parts.

The bigger question is the long term viability of Opel as a brand. Sadly GM never really gave it a chance in North America. Yet, in the 70's, Kadetts, Asconas and Mantas (the latter two called 1900's here) sold reasonably well, despite less than enthusiastic dealer support, were well respected and the Manta tore up SCCA Showroom Stock racing to the point of being banned. Ready to take on the Japanese onslaught, instead we got the Vega. The Diplomat was a fantastic car with a 5.4l Chevy engine that even caught the eye of Mercedes-Benz. It could have been the first Seville. GM gave us the Nova-based model. Twenty years later we got the Catera with an underpowered engine to beat back an already well-established luxury European beachhead. Our Astras were marketed as quirky afterthoughts. Shedding Opel may be a purely cost driven decision. Don't see how PSA sees Opel as an independent marque in its future plans. I'm guessing they wanted to get their hands on electric technology. Meanwhile, Opels sold well in Europe and still GM lost money? Expect Buick to source its cars from China now.

Say goodbye to a century old car company.

Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized) - OK, it's my daughter's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

I think its also part of a GM strategy to sell Chevrolet worldwide, to make it a truly global brand. Obtain the revenue from selling Opel, instead of converting Opel to Chevrolet, and then start selling Chevrolet in Europe besides Camaro and Corvette.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

PSA was after Opel's electric technology in addition to increased market share in Europe; they are playing catch-up to the Renault/Nissan-Daimler alliance on both counts.

Parts availability continues for ten years after the last model year of production. That means that Astra parts can be obtained through the end of 2019.

Since plans for the 2017 Insignia/2018 Regal were already in place before the purchase of Opel, PSA is obligated to support both products through their lifecycle + 10 years.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
GR898SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
I think its also part of a GM strategy to sell Chevrolet worldwide, to make it a truly global brand. Obtain the revenue from selling Opel, instead of converting Opel to Chevrolet, and then start selling Chevrolet in Europe besides Camaro and Corvette.
An interesting theory. A potential European lineup is certain to exclude the Impala, Traverse and the full-sized SUVs/trucks. The Colorado might have to be certified for a 2.0L SIDI turbo Ecotec in place of its V6 to avoid excessive taxation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
An interesting theory. A potential European lineup is certain to exclude the Impala, Traverse and the full-sized SUVs/trucks. The Colorado might have to be certified for a 2.0L SIDI turbo Ecotec in place of its V6 to avoid excessive taxation.

The lineup would probably consist of mostly the Korean based Chevy's. The same ones they currently sell in Asia for example. Of course the Camaro and Corvette as well as a specialty vehicles as is the case now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
C152

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post

Hello all,

Not so optimistic. GM tried Chevrolet in Europe and threw Korean models at that market. Not knocking them, I had a Chevrolet Optra and found it perfectly fine. They flopped, while undermining their own home product. Don't know how replacing a proven seller (Opel) with a tainted brand helps. Opel was not the money loser GM's bean counters would have us believe, the cars were selling (the Insignia and the current Astra won European Car of the Year honours) meanwhile GM was raiding the cookie jar for technology. Unless, I'm mistaken the Cruze and Astra are cousins, so are the Malibu and Insignia. Perhaps, they're trying to eliminate pensions costs. If Jeremy Clarkson is to be believed, the Opel/Vauxhall marque has absolutely no cachet/sex appeal in class conscious Europe, the blue bloods stick with M-B, BMW, Audi and VW is the darling of all. O/V are known as honest, decent, value for money cars. Seems like GM already had a Chevy for Europe already, doesn't it?

The truth is GM has been trying to unload Opel for many years, they nearly sold it to Canadian Magna International. Mary Barra finally pulled the trigger, let's see how this works out. Just my two cents, but I don't wear a suit and tie at my work.

Kind Regards,
C152

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by C152 View Post
Hello all,

Not so optimistic. GM tried Chevrolet in Europe and threw Korean models at that market. Not knocking them, I had a Chevrolet Optra and found it perfectly fine. They flopped, while undermining their own home product. Don't know how replacing a proven seller (Opel) with a tainted brand helps. Opel was not the money loser GM's bean counters would have us believe, the cars were selling (the Insignia and the current Astra won European Car of the Year honours) meanwhile GM was raiding the cookie jar for technology. Unless, I'm mistaken the Cruze and Astra are cousins, so are the Malibu and Insignia. Perhaps, they're trying to eliminate pensions costs. If Jeremy Clarkson is to be believed, the Opel/Vauxhall marque has absolutely no cachet/sex appeal in class conscious Europe, the blue bloods stick with M-B, BMW, Audi and VW is the darling of all. O/V are known as honest, decent, value for money cars. Seems like GM already had a Chevy for Europe already, doesn't it?

The truth is GM has been trying to unload Opel for many years, they nearly sold it to Canadian Magna International. Mary Barra finally pulled the trigger, let's see how this works out. Just my two cents, but I don't wear a suit and tie at my work.
All great points. However GM tried to unload Opel to Magna at the same time as the restructuring scheme when they went bankrupt. I still see them re-entering the market as Chevrolet again with the Korean style lineup, this time without competing/cannibalizing with Opel/Vauxhall. Currently it seems Chevy only sells Camaro and Corvette in Europe, surely as a niche product.

I could be completely wrong, and will stand to be corrected, as its just my theory without much research to be completely honest. It could be that GM just wanted/needed the cash infusion from the sale of Opel, and figure they can make up some of the residual market share with Chevy. Just a theory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
C152

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
All great points. However GM tried to unload Opel to Magna at the same time as the restructuring scheme when they went bankrupt. I still see them re-entering the market as Chevrolet again with the Korean style lineup, this time without competing/cannibalizing with Opel/Vauxhall. Currently it seems Chevy only sells Camaro and Corvette in Europe, surely as a niche product.

I could be completely wrong, and will stand to be corrected, as its just my theory without much research to be completely honest. It could be that GM just wanted/needed the cash infusion from the sale of Opel, and figure they can make up some of the residual market share with Chevy. Just a theory.
Hello again kikastra,

Thanks. I agree, you betcha a cash infusion, coupled with some unloading of pension costs is very tempting to the short-term profit eyeing, bonus-focused executive. When the Opel well dries up, I wonder what Chevrolet will offer in Europe. US or Korean designed, built-in-China models? Not to knock those designer/engineers, but I think Opel has a better insight of their home market. Heck, what will they offer in the US? Almost the whole Buick line-up is either Opel rebadges or has Opel DNA. Anyway, by the time those seeds have sprouted, Mary Barra will be enjoying her pension.

We agree, but you're more optimistic than I.

Kind Regards,
C152

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Old 03-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #11
JFS
JFS is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Interesting article from a European market analyst and car guy.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...plate=mobile02

For me, the salient point of the article is this:

"A car sold in Europe has to be safe and stable at speeds far higher than anywhere else. Automakers in Europe have to figure that the cars they design here could end up on the Autobahn and be driven at high speeds, which is one major reason why European cars have routinely out-handled, out-braked and steered far more precisely and predictably than vehicles developed elsewhere."

Before I test drove my Astra in January of 2015 (with just 34K on it), I had been in to the dealership a pair of times on my own just after hours. I was tickled the second time that somebody had left it unlocked. They must have parked it and just left, because the radio punched on and I had a chance to fiddle with the settings and get a real feel for the car as stationary.

The next day I test drove it. I'm in my 50's and I turned to the lad who was assigned me for the test drive and told him, "Son, I know this car has been on your lot six weeks. I'm gonna drive it like I stole it--hang on." About 90 seconds later during a power-slide down a highway on ramp, he was laughing out loud, I knew I wanted it. The butt-feel or seat of the pants sensations told me that while it was no muscle car, the chassis was very sweet. I had totaled a 2005 WRX wagon a few weeks before and was dreading getting into a numb econobox or even a pedestrian Civic, Accord, Camry, or Corolla. There are so many of them around here and they are hard to pass up because of reliability and that they are cheap to fix because of the huge market penetration. I couldn't afford to get back into another Subaru and I was happy to find such a great handling, inexpensive car that is so at home at 80+ MPH going up and down the San Francisco Peninsula.

Frankly, as bad-ass as my Subaru was, it was an old car tech wise by the time it arrived on American shores in 2003. And it was thirsty as hell. It would have been nothing in the handling department without the Rally tuner Brits at Prodrive influencing a great tuned suspension cross-platform for European performance Subarus in the 1990's. The Japanese had a hard time getting the same into the DNA of their cars; they needed Europeans to do it. I bought the wagon because it actually had better slalom times than the sedan. Even so, when you first got the ass to hang out to power into a corner, drifting during a wet surface turn, you would always get this fractional, momentary sensation that the car was going to swap ends before the suspension equilibrated things and corrected. The Astra does not do that. I think the basic weight and geometry of the Astra is great and comes from cultural technical discipline had in Europe. The wheels close to the corners, the weight distribution, the engine pretty low, car is not too tall.....And 17 inch wheels and 45 series tires on such a small car ?!

Anyway, too long again for me. GM will be missing out. There is no technical expertise waiting for them in China where they believe is their future.

Last edited by JFS; 03-19-2017 at 12:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
C152

2008 Astra XE

Hi JFS,

What are the chances Dr. Strangelove (one of my faves) was being aired as I was reading your post? We're also similar in age Loved your road test story.

I like what you pointed out from the article. That's one of the reasons I bought my Astra. In the late '80s, my boss would give me his car to take samples to buyers, it was an Audi 4000 and that's when I first realized what a solid, well-planted car felt like. While vacationing in Europe I noticed the rental cars all had that confidence-inspiring handling. Later, got a job selling cars to Greek ex-pats and those Opels looked good. It always irked me why GM was dismissively peddling crappy cars for small car "kooks" when they had world-class products a phone call away. They knew, stars like Bob Lutz and Chuck Jordan worked there. I get the DM/USD exchange rate issue, but we all know the plans could have been mailed to NA plants.

When the Astra arrived, I put my money where my mouth is and bought one. Yeah, it could use some more power and some stowage space, but it looked stylish, was well-equipped and as noted by every fan-boy car mag, handled great. Got my daughter a snazzy three door to drive home at an early age the importance and safety of great road manners.

This move by GM basically says they're no longer interested in being an industry leader. They'll just sell dull, dull cars to the NA market and pin their hopes on rising to dizzying sales heights in China. Europe? We don't need no stinking Europe. Asian Chevys for them. They did that already. It didn't go well. Heck, they did that in NA, who remembers Buick Opel by Isuzu? What a mouthful. Or the Korean-built Pontiac LeMans that looked like a Kadett? No, eh? Exactly. This just in as reported by a fly on the wall on the 14th floor of GM HQ: "Here's and idea, let's sell Opel/Vauxhall, it'll increase profitability, then we'll sell Asian built leftover Opel designs. What could go wrong? Yes! Great idea, give that guy a bonus"

Will be keeping those two Astras for a while. They'll eventually be restoration projects.

That's my longish story, thanks for listening.

Kind Regards,
C152

Last edited by C152; 03-19-2017 at 02:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
GR898SL2
Master Member

GM's departure is Ford's gain. Ford hasn't left Europe. In fact, they brought the S550 Mustang over to complement the Ka/Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo in 2015.

All indications to me suggest that GM thinks the real money to be made is in the growing crossover segment, China's market, hybrid technologies and self-driving cars. They've even gone publicly and said as much. They've even suggested that slow selling passenger car lines in North America could fall victim to the automotive reaper for their next generation. I'm talking to you, Impala and Lacrosse!

Last edited by GR898SL2; 03-19-2017 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: spelling goof!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
GR898SL2
Master Member

I'm old enough to remember Buick-Opel's first appearance in North America and the Isuzu connection as well.

Did not like the early '90s Pontiac LeMans at all. That was a disgrace to the name. Pontiac's heritage marques were all racing inspired and nothing about a Korean econobox even hinted at performance or driving excitement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 12:59 AM   #15
Brianvande
Brianvande is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Shame. Opel and Vauxhall made the cool cars that were sometimes brought over here to the states.

2008 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brianvande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brianvande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brianvande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
carldc
carldc is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA Green Line

I gave up on my Astra last year. I didn't want to -- loved that car. However, parts and service were becoming increasingly problematic. Mechanical parts were still no problem -- most of that was standard GM fare, but electrical and interior parts are more unique to the Astra, and service meant two trips because the Chevy dealer never had the parts on-hand.

I wound up buying a Buick Cascada -- which is based on the Opel Astra, and bears a strong resemblance to it, especially on the inside. When I got in for a test drive, my first thought was, "I've been here before."

I did not want to give up on my wonderful little Saturn Astra, but I did not see my situation getting any better.

'96 SL2 > '01 SC2 > '08 Astra XR > '16 Buick Cascada

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carldc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carldc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #17
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

How many miles were on your Astra? What problems did you have? I'm at 90k miles with only a faulty A/C compressor. Nothing else wrong, not even the common cam solenoids or coil pack (knock on wood).

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote