SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Heart Love my new KYB shocks/struts and new Tein springs

Just installed new KYB shocks/struts with Tein lowering springs that got a 1.5 inch drop. I have 17 inch wheels on my 04 Saturn Ion. I will upload some pics on this thread soon. Just gotta say the ride quality is amazing. If you guys have high miles on you're Ion seriously think about new KYB shocks/struts because the car is very responsive now. Wow what a difference!

I have never been a Monroe fan because I have read alot that Monroe shocks prematurely wear out so I stuck with the KYB brand and quality Tein springs that help maintain that factory ride with a nice stance for agressive looks. I will upload some pictures soon. Check back next week for pics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Love my new KYB shocks/struts and new Tein springs

What strut mounts did you end up using?
Did you also install new bellows/boots?

I need to replace my front struts soon and really want to install KYBs. I just wish KYB offered their Strut-Plus assemblies (their equivalent of the Monroe Quick-Struts) for the Ion, but they don't. I'm not looking forward to disassembling the old struts and transferring the springs to the new struts.

It appears that the previous owner installed Monroe Quick-Struts (unsure of mileage), but they are definitely bad. It feels like the front of my car rises 4 inches when I accelerate from a stop and nose dives a lot when braking.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Love my new KYB shocks/struts and new Tein springs

Actually I did purchase both new KYB bellow boots part # SB-101 but my originals were in good shape suprisingly enough the top hats were just fine. My car currently has 217 ,000 miles. I wish KYB did offer quick struts too but some extra work pays off in the end. Luckily for me im a service writer so the guys in the back did the work for me. I highly recommend KYB! I will keep you guys posted as the springs settle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
BobWolf
BobWolf is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
What strut mounts did you end up using?
Did you also install new bellows/boots?

I need to replace my front struts soon and really want to install KYBs. I just wish KYB offered their Strut-Plus assemblies (their equivalent of the Monroe Quick-Struts) for the Ion, but they don't. I'm not looking forward to disassembling the old struts and transferring the springs to the new struts.

It appears that the previous owner installed Monroe Quick-Struts (unsure of mileage), but they are definitely bad. It feels like the front of my car rises 4 inches when I accelerate from a stop and nose dives a lot when braking.
The strut compressors sold at the parts big chain tool stores are called widow makers for a reason. I have had them slip off on a couple occasions. makes for a pretty good scare.
Remove the old strut assemblies, take them to a local shop, leave them, pick them up the following evening and reinstall them.
Most local shops will do them as a no rush when they have a tech freed up, you might get lucky and they are having a slow day. You will find it well worth the 25 -30 bucks each and you don't chance a trip to the emergency room.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Did you get any new pics yet? Struts might be my next upgrade and was thinking about a small drop.

2004 Saturn Ion 3 Black Trim Headlights, Bluetooth Fogs, and Smoked Taillights
2004 Crown Vic Mostly Modified
2000 F150 Off-Road Mostly Stock
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote