SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
bodydoesntrust
bodydoesntrust is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Ion engine cradle interchangability

Hi. Does anybody know for sure if the engine cradle from an 05-07 Ion or 05-10 Cobalt is compatible with a 2003 (or '04) Ion? Did they change the subframe in some way after 2004? The pictures I've seen online sure do look the same. I'm thinking about taking a stroll out to Pull-A-Part this afternoon to take a close look under some Ion's and Cobalt's and see if I can spot any differences. Thanks in advance. ~Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bodydoesntrust's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bodydoesntrust reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bodydoesntrust is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2
Default Re: 2003 Ion engine cradle interchangability

Do you have any new information for us to report? I am kind of curious.

My previous daily drivers were 99 sl2s and there is tons of information on parts interchangeability out there. On the Ions, I am disappointed by how little there is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
BobWolf
BobWolf is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

The ION and Cobalt are the same format and subframes are usually consistent. 2000-2005 should bolt up 2006-2010 to a 2003 should unless GM decided to tweak something.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobWolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobWolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

A little investigation via OE parts websites shows that the '03 and '04 Ion engine cradle/sub-frame has a differing part number from '05 to '07. The Cobalts from '05 to '07 do share an engine cradle with the Ion.

Ion
'03 - '04 engine cradle: p/n 22611060
'05 - '07 engine cradle: p/n 15918781

My two cents worth: assuming that the part numbers are meaningful, there isn't compatability with the engine cradles between '05 and up Ions or Cobalts with the '03 and '04 Ion. However, the change in part numbers could reflect the deletion of the dreaded CV Transmission and how it would mount within the earlier engine cradle. If there is another transmission which is shared between earlier and later Ions then an engine cradle swap may be possible. (I don't know one way or the other.) Other part numbers should be verified as to whether or not they would fit on to earlier and later model year engine cradles, i.e., engine mounts, engine cradle mounting parts, control arms, steering knuckles, sway bars, etc...

(I only hope that this new member didn't feel himself ignored by the rest of our members as the replies came along time over two weeks after his initial post.)

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I would say it's a safe bet that if your vehicle has a manual transmission, you can more than likely use a subframe from any year ION or Cobalt. Throughout the ION's run, as well as the Cobalt's run, only the Getrag F23 5 speed manual was mated to the 2.2 Ecotec. So regardless of the year, the subframes should be setup for mounting for the manual.

If you're vehicle has either the Aisin 5 speed auto (sedan's or swapped coupes), or the CVT, you will probably want to confirm that all of the mount points for those transmissions are present and in the same positions on the '05 and later subframes. The front mounts in particular for the Aisin 5 speed auto and the CVT are substantially different from the front transmission mounts used on the '05 and later vehicles with the 4 speed Hydromatic auto. The rear mounts appear to be consistent between all of the transmissions used in the ION/Cobalt, but the fronts are pretty different.

All other parts including control arms, sway bars, knuckles, etc. are all swappable between all Delta platform cars (ION, Cobalt, G5, HHR) of all years, so you shouldn't have any suspension fitment issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote