SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
BNelsonAZ11
BNelsonAZ11 has a spectacular aura aboutBNelsonAZ11 has a spectacular aura aboutBNelsonAZ11 has a spectacular aura about

Default 2008 Saturn Vue XE 2.4L Serpentine belt replacement

Hi all,

Serpentine belt making a flapping noise because half of the belt was peeled off. Figured it needed replacing.

Looked at the tensioner, and saw the 1/2" square hole, and thought "no problem" I can just put a socket or breaker bar in there and move the tensioner out of the way. However, there is not enough room between the tensioner and the sidewall to get a wrench in there. Sidewall is steel, not plastic and is spot welded around. There is a hole in the wheel well, but it doesn't line up with anything. It's close to the nut on the tensioner, but would require a wobble and quite a bit of maneuvering.

I thought about grinding down my favorite breaker bar.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BNelsonAZ11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BNelsonAZ11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BNelsonAZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2008 Saturn Vue XE 2.4L Serpentine belt replacement

Knowing clearance needed to fit a tool, tried Autozone or Advance Auto for loaner tools? They may have a special extended square drive that's slim enough for the job. They have a good assortment of loaner tools.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
BNelsonAZ11
BNelsonAZ11 has a spectacular aura aboutBNelsonAZ11 has a spectacular aura aboutBNelsonAZ11 has a spectacular aura about

Trying the Serpentine tool now that I got from Oreilly. The 1/2" tool is too big for the hole, and the 3/8" is too long to get any purchase. I'm going to cut down the length and see how it goes.

Can't tell if I should be going CCW or CW. (?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BNelsonAZ11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2017, 01:00 AM   #4
BNelsonAZ11

Finally got it changed after chopping the tool down. TH
hanks Y'all for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
bghouse
bghouse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

BNelsonAZ11,
I'm trying to replace an alternator on a friend 08 VUE XE 3.5L. Just curious if you were able to relieve the tension CW or CCW? It appears it should be CW but I got the tool from auto zone and going CW but unlike other tensioners I've worked w/, its not moving & relieving the tension. I don't want to snap the bolt either. I've never worked on a Saturn so I want to make sure the bolt doesn't need to loosened by wrenching CCW in order for the tensioner to move.
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bghouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bghouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bghouse is offline   Reply With Quote