SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2
Default ECM from 2.2L to 2.4L 2007 Ion 3 manual

I just put a salvaged ECM into my 2007 Ion 3 2.4L manual after pulling it from a 2007 Ion 3 2.2L manual at the salvage yard.

There is now the following:
  • Hard starting (usually)
  • High idle (usually)
  • Sometimes both
  • Sometimes neither, but usually it is one or the other

Obviously, the ECM is looking for a 2.2L engine and I have a 2.4L so am guessing that there must be some differences in the program settings.

I can't get it scanned/reprogrammed until about 10 days from now.

QUESTIONS!
  1. How simple is the programming switch for the computer? Seems that there should only be a little check box that says Engine Type.... What is the reality since I have never seen one of these babies programmed.
  2. How much will the engine/car get screwed up with me driving it for these 10 days? When I drive it, the operation is normal at all times except when I let the clutch out (very beginning) and I have to deal with the idle issue, and when I lift up on the clutch (obviously, because of the idle). Usually starts on the 4-5th crank attempt.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: ECM from 2.2L to 2.4L 2007 Ion 3 manual

I have zero info about GM's scantools and what can or cannot be programmed. A scientific wild ass guess might be the ecm needs to relearn crankshaft positions. Since the ecm is 'customized' to each engine, a 2.2L is a 2.2L so one ecm should be interchangeable with another but maybe not with a 2.4L. A slightly larger displacement may mean slightly different ignition and fuel injection timing. Fuel maps may be 'tweaked' too but that's all guessing on my part. The people to ask are tuners and if none are knowledgeable, going direct to GM. Whether a local GM dealer can answer questions depends on their ability to see a larger perspective - using a 2.2L ecm in a 2.4L. I would describe this as inside info similar to Tesla releasing news to Hurricane Irma Tesla owners an extra 30 miles of driving capacity in their batteries as they escape parts of Florida during mandatory evacuations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Follow up and end of thread.

I had the computer re-flashed. It required a Tech2 scanner at a local repair shop. Cost was about $100.

They did not do individual line editing, only erased the entire old program (for 2.2L) and downloaded the new programming (for 2.4L).

I caused the problem I admit but I am glad my car is running right now.

New problem is patching some wiring in driver's side rear door, 12vdc power to window switch. I tore the outer door skin off last night, pulled the wiring into the car, and found (no surprise) a broken wire. This makes me wonder about the quality of the wires used on at least the 07 Ions because it seems to be a common enough problem but I had never run across this on any of my 4 SL/SWs.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Good to know the ecm needed to be reflashed with 2.4L parameters in order to work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote