SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Kcarr65
Kcarr65 has a spectacular aura aboutKcarr65 has a spectacular aura aboutKcarr65 has a spectacular aura about

Default Guys I need your help please. I'm broke down 475 miles from home.

I have a 2002 Saturn l200. I was driving and the battery light ( alternator ) and the service engine light came on. I pulled off the road and turned the switch off. I restarted the car and it would not come out of park. In the mean time the service and battery light was off but as soon as I have it gas they came back on. I took the car to a shop and they put a voltage tester on the battery and it was wa y overcharging . Also when I give it gas the lights on the dash, driving lights and rear tail lights go out also. Could a bad alternator keep it going from out of park ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kcarr65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kcarr65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kcarr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Guys I need your help please. I'm broke down 475 miles from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcarr65 View Post
I have a 2002 Saturn l200. I was driving and the battery light ( alternator ) and the service engine light came on. I pulled off the road and turned the switch off. I restarted the car and it would not come out of park. In the mean time the service and battery light was off but as soon as I have it gas they came back on. I took the car to a shop and they put a voltage tester on the battery and it was wa y overcharging . Also when I give it gas the lights on the dash, driving lights and rear tail lights go out also. Could a bad alternator keep it going from out of park ?
I don't know why the transmission shift inter-lock solenoid not allow the gear selector to be shifted out of park. It would require some research and I don't have the time for that presently. (As always, the brake pedal must be depressed when shifting the transmission out of park.)

Charging system voltage should range from 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Anything over this will result in overcharging the system. Depending on the severity of the problem it is possible damage the battery. In a worst case scenario, it could cause the battery to explode. (I am not kidding. I'd seen the result of such an explosion once at my father's service station and it was ugly.) I would expect that other systems could be compromised as well so this is a very serious issue. When a charging system is showing excessive voltage it means that the voltage regulator has failed. It is an integral part within the alternator - mounted inside of it - meaning the alternator must be replaced. What was the voltage reading on the system when it was checked at the repair shop?

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-27-2017 at 11:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
Kcarr65
Kcarr65 has a spectacular aura aboutKcarr65 has a spectacular aura aboutKcarr65 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks I already knew everything you wrote. I really only needed to know the stuck in park problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kcarr65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So has the alternator been replaced, or has the high voltage situation been otherwise corrected?

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcarr65 View Post
Judging from the next to last sentence, it seems that a problem could have developed with the BCM. Since the SES (engine) lamp or illuminated along with the battery warning lamp it means that there should be a trouble code stored. Did this event occur while the vehicle was at the shop? Is the car still at a shop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2017, 12:03 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In regards to the locked shift lever, you can thank the dimbulbs not knowing the difference between the gas and brake pedal that became ghostly runaways creating the phrase 'unintended acceleration' of Audi 5000's. All car makers went to incorporating the brake pedal application before allowing a solenoid to unlock the shift lever in autos. If you have to, pull up the shift boot cover to reveal the mechanics underneath. You'll find a plastic tab and solenoid that locks the shift lever from moving until the brake pedal is first applied. The brake signal tells the bcm to unlock the shifter mechanism to allow shifter movement. Push, pull with finger or pen to move the tab away to release the shifter. This should allow driving home or repair shop to diagnose what broke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
Kcarr65

The car has been fixed. The problem was the alternator and it fixed everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!