SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
carlc376
carlc376 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Wrench Aura XR 3.6 Front Cat Flex pipe

My Aura XR with the 3.6 has developed a loud exhaust. I got under the car and can see where there is an area of the Flex pipe that is wet. I started the car and confirmed that this is the exhaust leak I am hearing as I can feel exhaust in this area. I have seen that this is part of the the front Cat tube and does not seem to be sold separately (except universal). The car has around 133,000 miles. I have considered just replacing the whole cat/pipe combo (found online at $250, installed myself), but this seems an overly expensive fix considering the cat is still working properly.

Has anyone replaced just this flex pipe and know the dimensions (or what the replacement was? (I searched for it on this site, but only found an entry for an Astra 4cyl).

On an online parts site, I did find EASTERN CATALYTIC 80071, which kinda looks like the part, but it states it is Pre-Cat, and the one in question is clearly after the cat, but before the connection to the rear cat assembly.

Thank you for any input on this.

Chris
Kent City, Mi

2007 Saturn Aura XR
3.6L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlc376's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlc376 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlc376 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Aura XR 3.6 Front Cat Flex pipe

There are several ways to handle this repair. One would be a straight replacement altogether as you're buying most likely stainless to reflect the costs for less corrosion over a longer lifetime. The flex pipe is stainless for the braided portion. The inner flex tube may or may not be stainless - flexing stress hardens metals until they crack. Yours has the flex pipe at the end(?) with a flange coupler. If that's correct (looked at rockauto parts), you'd have to consider removing the section for cutting and welding a flex pipe and flange. This may be more trouble than its worth unless you weld it yourself or bring parts to an exhaust shop willing to weld parts.

While many presume stainless as shiny, factory exhaust systems leave an unfinished surface that grows surface rust but not rust thru. GM and maybe others decided to use stainless (409) for better corrosion resistance from higher water vapor generated from emissions from EFI systems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote