SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
phoenixwaller
phoenixwaller is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Question 2001 LW200- Headlight switch replacement question

Hopefully a quick question here.

I need to replace the headlight switch in my 2001 LW200. But I've heard that I need to disable the airbag for this???

I watched a video on replacing it on a 2002 l200, and I don't think they had to disable the airbag and it looks easy, like a couple of torx screws, pull off the cover and fumble with lock tabs.

I know this is 100% in my comfort realm as long as I don't have to mess with the airbag.

So am I in luck with just a disable the battery while I work on electrical stuff, or do I have to call a mechanic to deal with the airbag?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phoenixwaller's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phoenixwaller reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phoenixwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 LW200- Headlight switch replacement question

Disconnecting the battery will be sufficient to disable the air bag.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I forgot to add that, after disconnecting the battery, you should wait at least two minutes for back up power to be depleted before commencing the repair.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

For whatever reason, I couldn't find procedures for '01 but '02 service manual instructions include it. Presuming light switches are the same, you can review the procedures without concern about airbag deployment. Disabling airbags requires removing the 10 amp IGN1 fuse and disconnecting paired yellow wires to airbags. Disconnecting battery negative as pierrot suggests is just as good a suggestion to remove power to the main airbag module that retains power using a pre charged component in case battery power is lost during a crash with the airbag module supplying power. Even with all the precautions, replacing the light stalk switch doesn't require disabling airbag power. Review the procedure below.

If in doubt, removing the IGN1 fuse and paired yellow wire connection to the steering wheel airbag disables it for safe light switch removal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Headlight switch replacement.pdf (136.5 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
phoenixwaller
phoenixwaller is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Thanks both of you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phoenixwaller's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phoenixwaller reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phoenixwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You don't have to mess with the air bags to change the headlight switch. Just remove the shroud around the column and release the tabs and the switch slides out. 2000 and 2001 have an off position and take the same switch. 2002+ have automatic lights and take a different switch. Make sure you get the correct switch.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car finally on the road!
2002 L200 grandson's car now
2002 LW300 sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I just did it to my 2000 LS1. Unsnap just the top steering column cover. Unsnap the wiring next, If you don't the wiring will block you from removing the switch. Fish a bent probe under the switch and unclick the bottom fastener. Push down on the top fastener til it clicks and slide the switch out. If you want take the bottom column cover be careful the center fastener is a 7mm socket. You can rip this cover and make it unusable very easily. The two front ones are 15 mm torx.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote