SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
jklein337
jklein337 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default Parts Frankenstein questions

First post! To give you some background as to what my goal is, I'm going to turbo my car. But the questions I have are about mixing a 00+ bottom end (crank, block, pan and tie plate) with 93 rods and pistons out of my current car. What i'm not sure of with this block will the rod lengths give me a problem since the 93 rods are .151 shorter than the OEM 00+ rods? I'm trying to obtain a lower compression with a higher strength crank and block to possibly prevent any fault issues when i go turbo. I will also be using the dished valves from a 94+ with the 93 heads and would like to know if there is any machine work involved to make them work?

Last edited by jklein337; 09-22-2017 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: TItle correction

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jklein337's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jklein337 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jklein337 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Parts Frankenstein questions

Might be okay with running 1st/2nd gen rods and 3rd gen piston's, should lower compression by a decent amount. Going the other way results in piston->head contact unless the piston's are machined down.

Look up the Deebs Rebuild. It generally calls for all the stock parts that result in a high-compression engine...use the opposite parts for lower compression.

Don't forget to either buy pistons with oil drain back holes or drill them in factory style pistons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
jklein337

1993 SC2

Will the 3rd gen pistons work with the older style rods? I know they moved the wrist pin up on the 3rd gen pistons. Also where can i find Deebs build? Still new to some of the direct forum searching lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jklein337 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Swap guide http://www.saturnwiki.com/wiki/index...tle=Swap_Guide

1st/2nd gen pistons on 3rd gen rods: http://www.saturnwiki.com/wiki/index...6_3rd_Gen_Rods
I assume the same procedure can be used to test going the other way, they physically interchange fine it's just when it's installed in the block with the head put on that issue's pop up.

Semi-guide on FI: http://www.saturnwiki.com/wiki/index...rced_Induction

Mod a 4G63 manifold to fit the LLO head that's worth playing with: http://www.saturnwiki.com/wiki/index...TURBO-MANIFOLD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
jklein337

1993 SC2

So even with the shorter travel distance of the 93' rods and pistons, it would cause interference? This is based on the swap guide you referenced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I don't think anyone's actually tried it, for the cost's involved it's far safer to buy forged pistons and rods for boost rather than trying to reuse stock parts. You won't have to worry about the rods & piston combo hitting the head or block, but the longer piston skirt may need to be clearanced for the rod.

This is what I'm thinking of, for lowest compression & strongest stock parts:
  • '95 DOHC head, dual-intake cams (has longer duration than the exhaust cam), stock valves
  • '94+ block
  • '99-'02 pistons
  • '91-'98 rods
  • '93-'98 crankshaft
  • '00+ oil pan if using the '00-'02 tie plate on an earlier block
  • '92-'98 timing cover/set

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
jklein337

1993 SC2

Thanks for the info! Will the liner EGR require any converting electrical wise? And are the temp sensors in the same locations with the came connectors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
jklein337

1993 SC2

Also i was curious as to whether or not the 00+ heavier crank would be more beneficial in my case than the earlier models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

EGR doesn't matter much, if you want to keep the "stock" '93 EGR then use a '94 head instead of the '95. I believe most just block it off and don't add anything in to Megasquirt's tune for it's action anyway.

Heavier rotating mass = slower revving (takes longer to increase rev's, similar to a lightweight flywheel). Tad bit smoother running, but heavier.

The PCM temp sensor is in the same spot, same wires, same part number '91-'02.
The gauge sender is in the same spot, same wires, same part number '91-'95 (different part number and connectors from the PCM temp sensor).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!