SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
saturnroam
saturnroam is on a distinguished road

Default L200 Catcon

Hi all, I have a 2002 L200 that pulled a bunch of codes in the middle of a roadtrip. I was driving through the mountains and started having trouble going above 60.. when I stopped a local autozone, here is what i got.

p0172 fuel trim system rich (bank 1)
p0420 catalyst system low efficiency (bank 1)
p0420 catalyst system low efficiency (bank 1)
p1137 h02s-12 (bank 1 sensor 2) circuit low voltage

I tried running cat cleaner from autozone through it to make it though the trip, but by the end of the drive it was really struggling.

After doing a bit of reading I suspect my Catcon is to blame and was about to buy this...

carparts.com/details/Saturn/L200/Evan_Fischer/Catalytic_Converter/2002/Base/4_Cyl_2-dot-2L/REPS960304.html

Evan Fischer 48-State Direct Fit REPS960304 Catalytic Converter - 48-State Legal (Cannot Ship to CA or NY) Direct Fit - Center

... but though I would check here to see if this is the right part, and if it's something I can do myself. From the videos I see, it appears to just be a few bolts under the car, am I right in assuming I can just make this easy swap with this part and all the sensors should reset themselves after driving a bit? I assume I will know right away if the car is fixed because I can feel the performance issue and hear a slight metallic noise.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Also if anyone knows exactly what tools i need to do the swap that would be great.. because like i said... im on the road and will need buy them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnroam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnroam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnroam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L200 Catcon

If you can, an easy way to determine whether or not your catalytic converter disintegrated, falling apart and blocking exhaust flow is to remove the front upstream O2 sensor. The hole serves as an alternate exhaust path before the catcon and engine power should return. While the exhaust will be loud, if power suddenly returns, the catcon is blocked. You may have to create a soup can diverter to prevent hot exhaust gases from melting nearby plastic. Either an O2 sensor wrench, socket set or adjustable is needed to remove the sensor. If you can try this test first, you can determine what to do next. If you're near AutoZone, they may have all the tools for loan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 AM   #3
soulsurvives
soulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Doing exhaust work is rarely easy or straight forward. Nuts and bolts are usually rusted good and a saw or grinder is usually needed. Your best bet is to take it to a local exhaust shop, they can probably weld in a new cat for a decent price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

I'd go along with Soul Survives.

I had a catcon go on a GMC Safari van I had several years ago. I got the replacement online and took it to a local exhaust shop who removed the old one and welded in the new one. They were not bothered that they weren't selling me the catcon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
saturnroam
saturnroam is on a distinguished road

Any idea what that should run me at a muffler shop? assuming its the catcon?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnroam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnroam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to allfloridasl22002 is a name known to all

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnroam View Post
Any idea what that should run me at a muffler shop? assuming its the catcon?
How long is a piece of string?

You can get some idea of a catcon by checking prices at places like RockAuto without leaving home. You then need to find a shop that either will supply and fit a new catcon or one that is willing to simply install your new catcon.

Cost of the catcon aside, it's just down to how long the job takes and how much they charge labor. Only you can find that one out. Personally as a rough guess maybe 1 hour $ $75.00 per hour. But is a maybe guesstimate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Just a reminder that the exhaust section with the cat for the automatic transmission and manual transmission are distinctly different parts due to the routing of the exhaust and the location of the engine in the car (varies by about 2"). Make sure you have the correct part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
nancy gilbert
nancy gilbert has a spectacular aura aboutnancy gilbert has a spectacular aura aboutnancy gilbert has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2009 AURA XE

Just a couple of quick comments here fellas ...

I had some spare time Friday afternoon, and stopped by a Midas shoppe and an independent muffler shoppe and asked the questions from above.

Both places would be willing to use the replacement part supplied by the customer PROVIDED it was the proper/accepted part for the car.

Midas quoted $125 for the job, and the independent quoted $90 (using customer supplied part).

Both places had a generic part available for about $110 (no difference there).

Remember, I live in Mississippi, so the prices may vary in your area ...

Nancy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nancy gilbert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nancy gilbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nancy gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy gilbert View Post
Just a couple of quick comments here fellas ...

I had some spare time Friday afternoon, and stopped by a Midas shoppe and an independent muffler shoppe and asked the questions from above.

Both places would be willing to use the replacement part supplied by the customer PROVIDED it was the proper/accepted part for the car.

Midas quoted $125 for the job, and the independent quoted $90 (using customer supplied part).

Both places had a generic part available for about $110 (no difference there).

Remember, I live in Mississippi, so the prices may vary in your area ...

Nancy
^^^^ Very nice of you to do this Nancy. That is information all of us can use.

Thank You.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #10
Dsaturn
Dsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I guess i am spoiled, I have a local good ole boy Brake and muffler shop that will weld in a catcon that I buy for $40 bucks. He did my 94 Jeep grand Cherokee cat back to bumper for $100.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #11
tahoebigah
tahoebigah is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Saturnroam:

Did this fix your problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tahoebigah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tahoebigah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tahoebigah is offline   Reply With Quote