SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Alternator Pulley? Saturn Doesn't Have the Tool? HELP!

Can have the pulley tool for a rather cheap price:
CTA Tools 8088 Bosch Alternator Wrench for VW/Audi
$15.00 from Amazon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #42
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As a follow up to this thread and for anyone not familiar with one-way bearings (as used in every starter), here's a link to Gates and their description/repair of any car using an alternator decoupler pulley (one-way bearing); http://www.gatesprograms.com/adp. As often as I've become introduced to 'new' parts and 'new' terminology, I find that familiarity with 'old school' terms still holds true to new school parts. When this thread started out, I was unfamiliar and misled by the drawing from the 'service manual' until I revisited this thread again only to find out how more complicated things became. What was once a simple bolt on pulley is no longer the case and understandable why certain dealers did not have nor attempt to acquire the special tool needed to replace these ADP's/one-way bearing/pulley assemblies. The inexpensive tool shown is sized for whatever application needed and in this case for the Astra alternator. It appears that there are OEM issues with original alternator adp's that were/are being replaced either in or out of warranty. I don't know how long adp's have been used but if Astras were made back in '91 and adp's were made then, these tools are readily available. Before Saturn folded and sold/serviced Astras, these tools should have been in a dealers tool room. smwalker made it easier to research this information and clear up my confusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alt decoupler tool.jpg (47.2 KB, 32 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #43
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I am also just getting up to speed on this new stuff. What is surprising to learn is that this type of pulley is now a service item. So one more item to buy when the tensioner starts to go. But if it makes everyday driving quieter and smoother thats a good thing.

That gates site is great. Cool videos of the pulleys in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #44
smwalker

2008 Astra XR

Seeing the videos of the tensioners and belts flaying around even with the OAP clutch pulley makes me want to investigate if an OAD Decoupler pully exists that will work on an Astra. Event though they seem to say that is a no no to interchange them.

Video with easier to understand narrator: ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOtW...e_gdata_player

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #45
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Arrgh!? An overrunning alternator pulley besides the plain one and overrunning alternator decoupler? Talk about over simplifying things; the plain straight pulley evolves to a one way clutch (oap) that's improved on with an internal spring that softens the load upon clutch application (oad). Misapplication may cause unintended consequences; incorrect loading on the belt drive system, premature (accelerated) belt/bearing wear on belt driven items. etc..

Bet these aren't cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #46
smwalker

2008 Astra XR

Replaced my pulley this evening with the overrun model. As suspected just a standard pulley on there from the factory. I did not have any A/C chirping but just wanted the latest technology on there ;-) about $50 for the pulley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-05 18.01.14.jpg (116.0 KB, 57 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #47
AstraFasta
AstraFasta is on a distinguished road

I am going to replace the alternator pulley with 55560294 this month as preventative maintenance.

Does removal of old pulley and reinstall simply require:
- CTA Tools 8088
- 1/2 inch drive
- open-end wrench?

Or does old pulley have different removal tools?

Has anyone removed original pulley without an impact wrench?

Finally, torq specs for new pulley and any other suggestions?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #48
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I were in your shoes, I would check your alternator pulley and compare it to the replacement. If they're exactly the same parts, you'll have to ensure the tool will fit. Have you tried checking Autozone to see if they have the Gates tool kit (previously posted with a link to their video) or something similar? The gates tool kit has several sizes to choose from and if Autozone has the kit for loan, you won't have to buy the CTA Tool 8088.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #49
smwalker

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
Does removal of old pulley and reinstall simply require:
- CTA Tools 8088
- 1/2 inch drive
- open-end wrench?

Or does old pulley have different removal tools?

Has anyone removed original pulley without an impact wrench?

Finally, torq specs for new pulley and any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Yup those are the tools you need to make it easy.

Old pulley will require an opened ended wrench in the 15-18 range (can't remember). You would use the TORX bit on the CTA 8088 to hold the center shaft while unscrewing the bolt holding the pulley with the wrench.

I removed the old pulley without an impact gun and also installed the new pulley without the CTA tool. Just used some large channel locks to hold the pulley and tightened the TORX on the center shaft. Just got it good and Tight did not bother with a torque wrench or anything. The one way clutch helps to hold it so you can get good torque on it. But if you want to do it right the specs are:

Use the EN 48958 Torx® socket and generator pulley insert to tighten the pulley nut to 80 [n-m] (59 lb ft).

And remember the pulley is threaded counter clockwise so to tighten it you tighten counter clockwise. Loosen Clockwise. Reverse of a normal Nut.

Good Luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #50
AstraFasta

Thanks for the very useful and prompt responses!

Will keep you posted on how it goes...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #51
Burgandy25
Burgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura about

Here is the TSB for those who are interested. I plan on doing this some break I get, maybe thanksgiving. I have the old Pulley on my alternator.

Last edited by Burgandy25; 10-07-2015 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: re-do pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Burgandy25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Burgandy25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Burgandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #52
AstraFasta

FYI, as a followup on my very noisy chirping belt when AC was on and engine was around 1000 rpm, particularly at idle.

Accessory belt tensioner was shot so replaced that and the accessory belt.

Did not require changing the alternator pulley (yet...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #53
Burgandy25
Burgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura about

I guess I would like to ask. According to the bulletin I posted they lower the subframe I see that as being unnecessary. Did those of you who did it simply remove the alternator, replace the pulley and then re-install the alternator? That sounds like a more logical process.

looking on rockauto I would bet that Chevy Dealers would most certainly have the tool on hand now. Reason being: The Sonic/cruze with the 1.8l and 1.4l have a similar alternator as ours (although not same part number) And they have a similar pulley that needs the same took to replace. I would imagine since high volume sonics/cruzes with these are around it can now be done in a dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Burgandy25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Burgandy25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Burgandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 AM   #54
smwalker

2008 Astra XR

Yea on mine an XR automatic I raised and lowered the engine to get it completely out through the side hole but did not mess with the sub frame. But if you can avoid disconnecting the wires and can do it on the car that is a bit of a time saver. Looks like pretty good access to the pulley in the photos.

You would think the tool would be widely distributed now but it still may not be. For this simple reason: Techs at dealerships do not replace pulleys. If a car needed a new pulley they would sell a new alternator with the pulley already on there. They are not going to risk doing the pulley with the same amount of labor is takes to replace an entire alternator only to have the customer come back in a month with a bad alternator and complain "but you just fixed the alternator, why do I have to pay again???"

That stuff sends the CSI score into the toilet.

Now an alternator re builder, they would have the tool for sure. So if you do not want to buy the tool for $20. Take the alternator over to your local re builder and have them swap out the pulleys, they might charge you $10.00 if anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #55
AstraFasta

Removing the factory defective alternator pulley on my Astra XE automatic is incredibly painful and time consuming.

My pulley has a spline shaft & a deep seated bolt:

- The spline seems to be a size smaller than that of the 8088 tool but not sure

- The bolt seems to be 24mm (my 15/16" big socket fits)

The TSB photos show all kinds of clearance but I think GM completely disassembled the car for the photos.

I guess I'll just battle for a few hours to remove the wire connections then figure how to sneak the alternator from the wheel well. Then get a shop to remove the old pulley with an impact wrench.

Any tips on what size bolts are holding on the wires? How to remove the alternator harness without breaking it??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:52 PM   #56
AstraFasta

Absolute nightmare.

Took me total of about 10 hours of very hard labor to solve the factory defective AC squealing / groaning belt issue. For reference, I am a hobbist mechanic with access to a lot of tools and I have replaced 2 engines in a prior life. I see GM estimates 0.8 hours in the TSB.

First, I replaced the accessory belt tensioner and belt. The AC squealing / groaning was exactly the same.

Then, I tried replacing the alternator pulley with the reengineered AC Delco part. The factory alternator pulley shown in the TSB matches mine and is a hunk of steel with no clutch.

- Removing the negative battery terminal, airbox, accessory belt, etc. took less than 30 minutes.

- I could not get the pulley off with the alternator in the car (even with the alternator unbolted) so had to take the alternator out of car. Just two very long bolts that are easy to access. 10 minutes max.

- My Bosch 120A alternator was connected to 2 very short cables (like 3cm of slack). Tilting the alternator so the pulley was facing dowards, I could see the connectors somewhat with a good flashlight. Removing the cables is done blindly as there is so little space.

-- One is a bolt that a 13mm (?) socket can easily remove. On tightly but took 2 minutes.

-- The second is the infamous connector which took one terrible hour to remove. I found out after disassembly that my connector was oval and about 2cm x 1cm. There is a hidden inside tab at the center of the 2cm side which was the furthest from reach. GM or Bosch must have a tool like a bent fork to remove that type of connector. Be careful as that connector would be difficult to replace.

- Getting the alternator out of the car was the worst project I have ever done. I finally got it out by jacking up the car, removing the passenger front wheel / liners, unbolting the passenger side engine mount, jacking up the engine a bit. Probably 3 hours of back-breaking work as the alternator is not light. Finally got it out using some tips here but it was nothing but pain.

- I removed the pulley with the alternator on the sidewalk with a 15/16" socket wrench & large vice grips on the old pulley. Took 2 minutes. The factory Bosch 120A alternator spins silently with no play whatsoever.

- I tested the new AC Delco pulley (which has a clutch system) and the CTA 8088 tool for 30 seconds. To make installation easy I decided to install the pulley after putting the alternator into the engine bay. I don't think that mattered. Probably two hours later finally got the alternator into the car.

- Installed the new pulley, cleaned the contacts-wires, installed two cables in 10 minutes.

- Getting the alternator perfectly aligned and installing the two long mounting bolts took a long painful 1 hour. Probably because the alu was somewhat oxidized. Oil might have helped but I didn't think of that then

- Reinstalled the new belt and put everything else back together and cleaned up tools in 30 minutes.

- Test drove about 50 miles and defective AC chirping / groaning sound is gone. The engine is not quite as quiet as I had expected after watching all the fancy Gates alternator pulley marketing videos. And the car seems to be a bit less peppy (the battery was disconnected for a few days so maybe the computer needs to remap).

Overall happy with the results. Massive amount of effort for simple replacement. Forearms have dozens of bruises. DIY NOT RECOMMENDED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #57
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Just to summarize, and correct me if I'm wrong:

- All Saturn Astras came with a standard (non-decoupling) alternator pulley
- Belt noises can be resolved by switching to an alternator decoupling pulley
- Swapping pulleys on the alternator can be a huge pain

Questions:

- Is this problem specific to automatics or manuals? I noticed Rockauto has two P/N's for alternator pulleys; standard pulley for manual, decoupling for automatic. My manual Astra at 85k miles with original belt assembly and accessories has never made a belt noise.

- Why not buy a new alternator that already has the ADP (alt decoupling pulley) on it? Many of us are getting into the mileage where you might as well replace the alternator while you're at it. I did that to my wife's minivan after struggling (and failing) to remove the pulley.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #58
AstraFasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinenbauer View Post
Just to summarize, and correct me if I'm wrong:

- All Saturn Astras came with a standard (non-decoupling) alternator pulley
- Belt noises can be resolved by switching to an alternator decoupling pulley
- Swapping pulleys on the alternator can be a huge pain

Questions:

- Is this problem specific to automatics or manuals? I noticed Rockauto has two P/N's for alternator pulleys; standard pulley for manual, decoupling for automatic. My manual Astra at 85k miles with original belt assembly and accessories has never made a belt noise.

- Why not buy a new alternator that already has the ADP (alt decoupling pulley) on it? Many of us are getting into the mileage where you might as well replace the alternator while you're at it. I did that to my wife's minivan after struggling (and failing) to remove the pulley.
See the official TSB document from Burgandy25 a few posts above. The defective part is the alternator pulley for automatic, not manual, transmission cars.

The Astra has plenty of sloppy engineering & poor workmanship. GM engineers did a terrible job of mating a superb Japanese automatic transmission to this car.

But I havn't seen the alternator as a trouble spot for US and UK forums. I will say that the Bosch 120A alternator on my 60k mile Astra spun like a new alternator; tight as a drum and virtually silent. For those reasons, I did not "proactively" replace the alternator and would not be surprised if it lasts the lifetime of the car.

For automatic transmission owners who replace the alternator, I would make sure to the updated alternator pulley is installed.

Removing the pulley from the alternator (once the alternator is outside the car) is easy. If you can't get if off, go to a local garage and ask them to remove the pulley with specialized tools (best option) or an impact wrench; should take 5 seconds.

Relating to the defective alternator pulley, the biggest Astra challenges for the home-gamer are not resolved by purchasing a new alternator:

1. Removing the wiring harness

2. taking the alternator out of the engine bay and putting the alternator back in the engine bay.

My automatic transmission car had a solid metal alternator pulley (I'm 99% sure that was a factory pulley). I don't know what the manual transmission cars had.

My engineering buddy with a manual transmission Astra XR told me the replacement alternator pulley has a different part number than the automatic transmission car does; that is not obvious on some sites so use caution. He did not have the same loud belt chirp / groaning. . . but recently is getting a very slight bit of chirp from a stop with the AC engaged. He replaced the serpentine belt 18 months ago. My guess is that could be a worn accessory belt tensioner or bad belt; both are easy to change. Obviously I suggested that he not consider changing the alternator pulley DIY. . .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #59
AstraFasta

I think these Bosch photos give a good view of typical location for the alternator wiring harness that is so difficult to remove.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....1442052&jsn=11

https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com...tor-0124425060

If I recall correctly there was one wire held in with a nut & one wiring harness.

- The nut was easy

- The challenge was trying to figure out how the wiring harness was clipped in. If I recall correctly there was one tab on the harness that needed to be moved to remove the harness. The photos seems to indicate that tab style.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #60
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Quote:
where's you get that sweet drawing? a pdf repair guide for our car?
Autozone has some really good drawings/schematics. If you log into their site and go to MY ZONE, one of the options under My Vehicle will be Vehicle Repair Guides.

At least for the Ion, they have tons of good stuff.

Peter in Lansing MI

current cars:
94 SW2 (White, automatic)
99 SL2 (Silver Plum, manual)
99 SL2 (Dark Blue, manual)
04 Ion 3 (Berry Red, 2.0L automatic)
07 Ion 3 (Cypress Green, 2.4L, manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote