SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
Felix Zane
Felix Zane is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2006 ION-1 Sedan
Default Saturn sc2 engine with s10 transmission

First off I'm new. I have owned my 1997 saturn sc2 going on 4 years now. I have changed the transmission once. From its original that blow a whole inside the bellhousing, to a 1997 saturn sl1 transmission that I still have in there at the moment. I have put a stage two clutch, that I'm still trying to get the damn thing to bleed out. But anyway to the real question. i also have a 1992 chevy s10 that I'm about to but another transmission in form an 87. I don't really want to just throw away the trans. So I had an idea of converting my saturns engine to longitude and making a bellhousing to fit. Or at least try to. I know that I'll have to probably make a new subframe to fit it and all that good stuff. But I was wondering if that would really be possible. within reason. I have seen or should I say I've watched youtube videos of people putting 350s and making there saturn rwd. But I want to do it with my original engine. Till it blows up of course. I don't really have a good paying job 8 an hour.and most of my work will probably be done by my cousin. Sense I don't have any of the skills or equipment to do so myself. I have very big ideas of all I want to do with the engine itself. but at the moment that is my bigest question at the moment. so again but this time without all the rambling. Can I make my saturn engine loniguted and make/ or find a bellhousing to use for my s10 transmission. How easy would it be, what all I could have to modify, and would it work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Felix Zane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Felix Zane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Felix Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Saturn sc2 engine with s10 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Zane View Post
I don't really have a good paying job 8 an hour.and most of my work will probably be done by my cousin. Sense I don't have any of the skills or equipment to do so myself.
#1 thing you should do is to learn welding. Learn MIG and TIG.

Quote:
I have very big ideas of all I want to do with the engine itself. but at the moment that is my bigest question at the moment. so again but this time without all the rambling. Can I make my saturn engine loniguted and make/ or find a bellhousing to use for my s10 transmission. How easy would it be, what all I could have to modify, and would it work?
This is not meant to the rude, this is just straight facts. There is nothing easy about what you want to do. Saturn engine was never available as RWD, there is no RWD bell housing, you will have to make one or pay someone to make one. $$$$$

Customization of automobile is just that, you'll need TIME, MONEY, and SKILL/EFFORTS. If you lack one, you won't be able to do it.

Car is an expensive hobby and you will get 1/10 of it back in term of money, if you're lucky. If you lack money, I would suggest you look for another hobby.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Felix Zane

1997 SC2
2006 ION-1 Sedan

I'm not looking into getting anything back in terms of money. And I have all the time in the world. Once I get a better job. When ever that will be. It will be more achievable. This is a hobby that I love to do. I've always loved working on cars and will never quit doing it. And mainly this is a way to see how far I can push myself in terms of skills motivation and determination. I know it is going to be hard. But this is something that I want to prove to myself that I can do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Felix Zane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
Dsaturn
Dsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Just take the suspension and everything else from under the Saturn then find a way to adapt Saturn engine to s10 trans and bolt it to the s10 frame. Would be the cheapest easiest way to do that. You would also need wiring harness and computers from Saturn to adapt to s10 body. Be really cool if s10 was 4x4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Pretty sure this is way easier...lmao

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
Felix Zane

1997 SC2
2006 ION-1 Sedan

Lol. Wouldn't want to do that. I currently drive both the s10 and the Saturn. So I'm not going to do that. I know the Saturn is two inches wider and two inches shorter than the s10. But. I'm going to replace the trans anyway so why not make the old one come in good use. Like the picture. Way to tall lol. And these are my two vehicles that I have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0335.jpg (168.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.JPG (107.8 KB, 12 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
I'm not looking into getting anything back in terms of money. And I have all the time in the world. Once I get a better job. When ever that will be. It will be more achievable. This is a hobby that I love to do. I've always loved working on cars and will never quit doing it. And mainly this is a way to see how far I can push myself in terms of skills motivation and determination. I know it is going to be hard. But this is something that I want to prove to myself that I can do.
With the rear suspension setup, you will likely need a lot of fabrication to convert to RWD. Yes, it has been done with 350 V8s and other large engines. Yes, is CAN be done.

You will be undertaking a very large, time consuming project, to do this. The Saturn 1.9L engine was cast as a FWD application, so you will have to have a machine shop fabricate a bell housing. You will have to completely fabricate a new intake manifold, which will require the power steering pump and brackets to be moved where the AC system is, and the AC system will need to be deleted.

The hoses for the radiator to the heater core will be blocked by the engine, and the EGR valve/upper radiator hose will both likely hit the firewall. So, the engine will need to be as far, forward in the engine bay, as you can get it. You will need a completely new subframe, for the dogbone mounts to both up. The tooming cover mount will interfere with the cooling fan assembly, ehich poses another clearance issue.

There are no areas of the block, for mounting bosses that would be similar to V8s, so you are taking a chance at destroying the engine block, by drilling/tapping mounting bosses.

Both front spindles will need to be changed over to a 4WD/RWD hub bearing assemblies, as removal of the axle shafts(half-shafts) will cause the stock hubs to be crushed under the car's weight.

A custom driveshaft, properly balance and splined to fit the S-10 transmission will be required. Probably will have to use a carrier-style rear axle, with independent suspension, over a live-beam rear axle.

And once again, when you get into precision machining and fabrication, these will only be a "dream" on $8/hr. I make $12.06/hr, and finding the $1,500 to buy a rebuilt engine is hard enough, let alone labor to swap it out, gaskets, and core charges, or having the stock engine actually tore down and fully rebuilt.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Pretty sure this is way easier...lmao

That is beautiful o .o

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 226,000+ miles and purring smooth.My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.
I Want SAAB Soccerballs. But they're 4x115

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

sounds like a fun, but expensive and time consuming project.

You'll probably ignore my advice, but I'm going to give it anyway.

Sell your extra S10 transmission and buy some stock or invest in an index fund. Save your time and invest your money. You are probably younger, so time is on your side. Lots of places that will give free advice, like r/personalfinance on Reddit or Motley Fool

Some people are hit the "birth lottery", and end up with a last name like Rockefeller, Clinton, Trump, etc. For them, money is not an issue. Other people have skills, work hard and/or get lucky, and become rich as movie stars, athletes, recording artists, etc.

Most other people get where they are from the choices they make. Small choices, like whether to do your homework or play Pokémon, to read a book or play a videogame, to try marijuana, cigarettes, etc. Big choices, like going to college or not, try crack or meth, taking a loan to buy a car, getting married, etc.

Every choice you make is a crossroads that can lead to a better, or worse, financial future.

I made a choice in my early 30s to open up a retirement account. Future Me is very happy that Younger Me made that choice. Because decades later, I can look at that account and see that the money I saved is making money. If I hated my job, I could take a big dump on the boss' desk and say, "Consider that my resignation" and I'd be fine, financially

I know lots of folks who make more than I do, who spend their money and are living paycheck to paycheck. One interruption or emergency, and they are screwed. And no that they are getting older, some of them are realizing they can't retire, they owe too much money. And now, they are too old to make many more choices that will be meaningful in the time they have left.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Felix Zane

1997 SC2
2006 ION-1 Sedan

See I've always like the s13s with there 24v 4c rwd. And that's kinda the goal I want to accomplish. Make it unique. I have another question as well. Sense I know this is going to take time to do all this while my car is stock. (Which I might make another thread to) I have a problem with the clutch.

I know that it would probably to way cheaper to hunt down a Nissan s13. But that ain't what I want to do. I like them and all. But I love my Saturn. I wonder how much harder it would be to make a custom frame to fit the existing body. Hmm. So many ideas so many questions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
See I've always like the s13s with there 24v 4c rwd. And that's kinda the goal I want to accomplish. Make it unique. I have another question as well. Sense I know this is going to take time to do all this while my car is stock. (Which I might make another thread to) I have a problem with the clutch.

I know that it would probably to way cheaper to hunt down a Nissan s13. But that ain't what I want to do. I like them and all. But I love my Saturn. I wonder how much harder it would be to make a custom frame to fit the existing body. Hmm. So many ideas so many questions.
By chance, do you happen to have a local tech school. For what you want to do, I forsee you will need some engineering experience, because a lot of this will be fabrication.

Now, i graduated in 1999, but the last engineering type classes they had back then were based on Drafting, with a PC program called "AutoCAD".

Taking a course in Drafting may give you the ability to blueprint your project. A lot of fabrication and machining is precision, so you will need a lot of talent with algebra, geometry, and arithmetic.

And yeah, it WOULD be easier to find a Nissan S13......

BUT......

how many S13s do you see being driven everyday, versus how many oil-burner Saturns?

Maybe there is a reason, that car is no longer in production or sold poorly.(Unlike the Saturn S-Series which sold very well DESPITE its oil-burning habits)

And trust me, from what I read in these forums, everyone that gets rid of their Saturn eventually comes to regret it.

and honestly, my ONLY regret with my Saturn? I didn't but my Saturn soon enough in life. I don't even care, that I need to put 1/2-quart of oil in it everyday. I love my little oil burner, and I am going to hopefully break 1,000,000 miles in it(hopefully without using 500,000 barrels of oil along the way)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Kids these days. . . .
Do your orthographic drawing with these

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote