SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
P5ych0path
P5ych0path is on a distinguished road

Question 01 SL1 Automatic: Won't Shift Gears

Hello everyone,

I've been a long time lurker here and finally decided to seek help from some of you Saturn fans.

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1 Automatic that I got three years ago with 191k miles on it. Just two days ago I finally hit the 260k mile mark and thought things were going smooth.

Until yesterday. So, background, ever since buying the car it has had slight shifting issues where it would jerk when shifting into reverse and sometimes when shifting up gears, but it wasn't a common occurrence. Usually it would happen for a day and then not happen again for a while.

I recently started delivering pizzas and it was going smooth until this past week. The jerks started occurring much more often during shifting. Yesterday though, I was on my way back from a run and the began to shift and then stall. It's like I would give it gas and it would grind to a halt. So I attempted to park it and move it from park to drive again, but same problem. It got to the point where I could not go forward without letting off the gas.

I coasted to a parking lot and tried to fiddle with the low gears, but it still wouldn't go forward. I put it in reverse and managed to get it home driving backwards, but now I'm stuck.

Today I got up and started it, put it in drive out of curiosity. To my surprise, it actually will go forward now, but won't shift up gears, so I can't go very fast without revving too much.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm not a mechanic at all, I just use this site and YouTube to do my own repairs.

I've talked to a few mechanics who seem to think I will need a whole new transmission, but I found a YouTube video where a mechanic suggests that replacing the VALVE BODY will solve the issue. I believe I can do that myself no problems.

So my question is this, what do you all think? Do I need to give up on the old Saturn? I'd rather not because I just put three new tires on it and have grown quite attached.

Thanks for the replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to P5ych0path's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help P5ych0path reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
P5ych0path is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 01 SL1 Automatic: Won't Shift Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5ych0path View Post
Do I need to give up on the old Saturn? I'd rather not because I just put three new tires on it and have grown quite attached.
It's very rare that one of these TAATs can't be fixed. You might need a new VB, but you want to check other things before jumping on that. You might get away with just replacing a Solenoid or 2 or even fixing a bad electrical connection. First step would be checking the 3 TRS Fuses, checking Alternator output, checking Trouble Codes and checking resistance on all 5 Solenoids. Also, you will get more replies if you repost this issue here . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote