SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
Mvenem
Mvenem is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 ion after market radio wiring

I recently upgraded from a 2002 saturn sl2 base model to a 2005 saturn ion level 1 I had a aftermarket radio in my old car that I removed to use in the new car. I bought an aftermarket harness to install the radio into my old car and I figured that I could just unplug the harness from my old car and plug it into the new one since they have the same factory radio but I couldn't get any sound with the aftermarket radio I haven't checked my harness yet to see if my connections are still ok just wanted to know if there was anything that might be different on the vehicle side of the adapter harness

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mvenem's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mvenem reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mvenem is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 2005 ion after market radio wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvenem View Post
I recently upgraded from a 2002 saturn sl2 base model to a 2005 saturn ion level 1 I had a aftermarket radio in my old car that I removed to use in the new car. I bought an aftermarket harness to install the radio into my old car and I figured that I could just unplug the harness from my old car and plug it into the new one since they have the same factory radio but I couldn't get any sound with the aftermarket radio I haven't checked my harness yet to see if my connections are still ok just wanted to know if there was anything that might be different on the vehicle side of the adapter harness
The base U1C radio/CD player is interchangeable between the 2002 SL2 and the 2005 Ion, but the wiring is different.

Saturn installed an intermediate harness that goes between the radio itself and the 24-pin radio harness coming from the vehicle to allow the same radio (option code U1C - which is the single CD player w/orange display and pocket on bottom) to be installed into different years/models. This harness is not shown in any wiring diagrams - not even the factory service manual. I know of its existence because of firsthand experience with it.

For 2000-2002 S-Series, 2000-2003 L-Series, 2003 Ion, and 2002-2003 Vue, the intermediate harness is Saturn P/N 15357729. It has been discontinued for a few years so if you need a replacement, you will need to find one from a junkyard and can be sourced from any of the models in the previous sentence.

For 2004-2005 Ion, Vue, and L-Series the corresponding part is Saturn p/n 22726123 and at the time of this post is still available for about $30 from your local GM dealership. A junkyard is probably a much cheaper option.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote