SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default grinding from rear at low speeds

Hey all,
Yeah, I am going to be posting on here as my 08 Nox Sport is essentially an 08 Vue, and there is not much action on the Equinox pages.
So, I have a nasty grinding/thunking sound coming from the right rear/rear diff, when I turn at slow speeds. I did get on drain and refill done on the RDM with Mobile 1 full synthetic 75-90 gear oil, which is the correct stuff for the bigger RDM in the Sport model. NO, it doesn't take Versatrak fluid. The stuff that drained out was NASTY!!! And the noise is a little bit better, but not much. Should I switch to the GM fluid for the rear??? Or should I look somewhere else. Also, I should say that I had the car in the shop, they had it on a lift and I ran it up to 60 MPH for several minutes and they listened to both rear hubs and the RDM, and no odd noises from anywhere. And te RDM stayed cool to the touch.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
Mustangman03
Mustangman03 has a spectacular aura aboutMustangman03 has a spectacular aura aboutMustangman03 has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: grinding from rear at low speeds

I would only use the GM fluid for the RDM's.. they seem to have a taste for only Gm fluid if is was as bad as mine (lol another story) it didn't like the mobil1 Syn and wasted what was left of the clutches... I was running a full spool for a while😂

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mustangman03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mustangman03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mustangman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: grinding from rear at low speeds

Mustangman,
I am taking the car to a dealership tomorrow to get something else checked out, and I will ask them about it. I know that the regular RDM in a non-sport model requires the Versatrak fluid, but the beefier rear in the sport version takes a difference fluid. It is actually the same fluid as in the rear of Corvettes, Silverados, and a couple of others. So I might have to check out those sites for more information.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote