SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
Alexkepa12
Alexkepa12 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Turbo 1998 Sl1

I have this idea about taking my stock 98 sl1 and doing an engine swap to an 01 sl2 5 speed, I got a person in town with a blown motor and good trans willing to sell for like 100 bucks, but what would I need to do to get a good powerful engine, Im not looking to spend 5 grand though. I know I will need to rebuild the sl2 engine, but I wanted someone's opinion on what mods should be done. I want a higher rev limiter, as well as a decent amount of power with a cheap turbo setup.

Thanks a Bunch,
Alex

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alexkepa12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alexkepa12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alexkepa12 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Turbo 1998 Sl1

OldNuc has a point with SOHC -> DOHC swaps...if you aren't going to look up "how" and just ask a ton of questions that have already been asked a ton of times then swapping isn't for you. Just too many little change's. It's a fairly simple swap for '93-'98's if you stick with a '93-'98 motor (more challenging if going from a '93-'94 motor to a '95-'98 but still simpler than '99-'02 into '93-'98).

Mostly complete swap guide that so far hasn't been shut down: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88699

If you want NA power then what's been nicknamed "Deebs Rebuild" has the parts list you need; following that can bump compression close to 11:1 which isn't much fun with boost so kinda go the opposite way it says to to lower compression if boost is the goal.

Research MegaSquirt. It's the cheapest standalone PCM I know of and you'll need a laptop as well to tune it; the stock PCM can't handle worthwhile boost numbers.

If you can't find what you want on SaturnFans, I'd be sorta surprised but can happen so head over to Sixthsphere.com where the "big boys" at least used to live (400+hp out of our little 1.9L DOHC...lol) and still has more performance related info than here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote