SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
DWW
DWW has a spectacular aura aboutDWW has a spectacular aura aboutDWW has a spectacular aura about

Default Codes and more Codes

Replaced/did the following:

Removed/cleaned throttle body
Installed new plugs
Replaced Coil Pack
Replaced Mass Air Flow Sensor

Took it on a 60-70 mile drive. Afterwards it was still showing all the same codes plus the two new ones listed below.

P0068 - Throttle Body
P0102 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Ciruit Low Voltage
P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire
P0300 - Multiple Misfire Detected

But now two new ones have popped up

P0313 - Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned
p0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency (Bank 1)

I cleared the codes and am waiting on an update from my daughter when/if the light comes back on. I open to any/all suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DWW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DWW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DWW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
David R
David R is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
1997 SW2
Default Re: Codes and more Codes

Had to look up P0313, as I haven't heard of relearn conditions except when crank or cam shaft positioning sensing is involved.

For a google of P0313 I got "P0313 Misfire Detected at Low Fuel Level". A little more googling suggests lean fuel conditions, and possible fuel delivery problems.

However some of the Vauxhall/Opel sites suggest problems with the EGR system. Read defective EGR valve, and/or clogged channels.

I don't know about the Astra, but on my old S-series you could cut the lid of a cat food can into the shape of the EGR gasket without a a whole and install it between the EGR valve and the manifold connection. This effectively shut-off EGR system. With the S-series it was a night and day difference in engine performance. Worth the 1/2 hour to test it.

The P0420 is most likely from raw fuel getting into the exhaust from the misfires.

~I'm not an authority on anything~

2009 Astra XE 5sp 175K km
2000 Honda Civic SI 5sp 172K km, AKA EX Coupe - Gone
1997 SW2 DOHC Auto 325K km - Stored for winter, used in summer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
DWW
DWW has a spectacular aura aboutDWW has a spectacular aura aboutDWW has a spectacular aura about

I appreciate the input. I cleared the codes on Sunday and so far she has put over 150 miles on it and none have returned. Will continue to monitor and keep my fingers crossed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DWW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DWW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
DWW

P0420 came back, Catalyst code. I am going to have her run a couple tanks of premium gas and see if that doesn't clear it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DWW's Reputation
Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
AstraFasta
AstraFasta is on a distinguished road

Do a search here on P0420. The flexpipe is a very popular failure point. Some need to replace an O2 sensor. Could also be the cat converter. There are some tests you can do included in the links below and some other less common issues.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ighlight=p0420

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote