SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
surpontiff
surpontiff is on a distinguished road

Default Radiator fans running flood blast at all times

My radiator fans have been running full blast immediately after starting the car, and the level of noise it generates is obscene, made worse by the fact the fans themselves are pretty worn and generate a lot of noise anyway.

I brought it to a mechanic, and he said it was an electrical problem, he fixes it, and the bill was around $250, the replaced part being $21.

Unfortunately, it reverted back to always running full blast almost immediately, the only time the fans ran at the correct speed was the first time I started it after the repair, by the very next day the fans are back to running full blast.
It doesn't seem to actually be doing any harm other than being very loud and wearing out the fans, but I could be wrong.

I assume the actual problem may be somewhere else down the line as opposed to the part he thought it was and fixed. Is it worth bringing it back to get it re-done, am I incorrect in assuming he'd have to charge me again to find the actual problem?

It's a 2003 l200 4 cylinder 200,000+ miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surpontiff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surpontiff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surpontiff is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Radiator fans running flood blast at all times

Do you have any check engine warning lights on? The reason I ask is I had this same situation in the past. The cause was a bad thermostat causing the engine to run too cool.

Your temp readings should be 3/8's -1/2 way up on the gauge. If less than this, replace the thermostat. If these engines run too cool, this can cause the fans to run at very high speeds.

Keep us posted on what you find.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What was fixed and what part was replaced? Since the problem wasn't fixed and there should be a warranty for work performed, taking your car back and insisting the problem was never fixed should not incur more charges. If this shop can't fix the problem you may demand your money back. If the shop refuses to refund your money for repairs that didn't correct the problem, you may have to go to small claims court. Try to see if this can be resolved first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by surpontiff View Post
My radiator fans have been running full blast immediately after starting the car, and the level of noise it generates is obscene, made worse by the fact the fans themselves are pretty worn and generate a lot of noise anyway.

I brought it to a mechanic, and he said it was an electrical problem, he fixes it, and the bill was around $250, the replaced part being $21.

Unfortunately, it reverted back to always running full blast almost immediately, the only time the fans ran at the correct speed was the first time I started it after the repair, by the very next day the fans are back to running full blast.
It doesn't seem to actually be doing any harm other than being very loud and wearing out the fans, but I could be wrong.

I assume the actual problem may be somewhere else down the line as opposed to the part he thought it was and fixed. Is it worth bringing it back to get it re-done, am I incorrect in assuming he'd have to charge me again to find the actual problem?

It's a 2003 l200 4 cylinder 200,000+ miles.
As another said take it back to the repair shop and tell them to fix the problem they were suppose to fix as it is obvious they didn't fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

As was pointed out by rb6667, a thermostat which is stuck open can cause this problem. Other members have reported the incessant running of the cooling fans with conditions similar to yours and it was corrected after the thermostat was replaced. This is a correction noted in the Factory Service Manual (FSM).

Obviously, this was not an electrical problem in the way that your mechanic thought that it was. If you would like to have information from the FSM to support your position in discussion with the mechanic please send a p/m with an email address.

If you don't already know, with 200K miles on the odometer your L200 is due for a cooling system service: flushing the system, replace all hoses, replace the thermostat, and replace coolant. Additionally, spark plugs are to be replaced.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-02-2017 at 10:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
surpontiff
surpontiff is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the replies.

My check engine light is on actually. The codes seemed to imply something about an 02 sensor.

I'll take the car back to him and let him know the problem wasn't fixed.

The temp gauge usually reads right around the half-mark while I'm actually driving it, sometimes lower if it's idling ect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surpontiff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surpontiff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surpontiff is offline   Reply With Quote