SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
rinyotsu
rinyotsu has a spectacular aura aboutrinyotsu has a spectacular aura aboutrinyotsu has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default My Saturn is finally getting to rest

After 9 years as the second owner and getting her up to almost 250k, my Saturn L200 finally gets to rest.
The engine oil leak got too bad before I could fix it and it now has a rod knock. Yes she still runs and drives but the knock and 3 opinions saying she's going to need a new engine scared me into getting a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am SE v6 (Terra).
However, somehow I managed to get her to drive 50 miles on the knocking engine when I thought it was just the exhaust. Maybe I didn't damage it too much but I couldn't rely on her to get me to work and back anymore.
I loved driving her and had a lot of good times, and if I could shrink her down to the size of a HotWheels car, I'd keep her forever.
Alas, my first car is resting finally but I can't keep her at my apartment much longer. Does anyone know a good way to send her off? I contacted a local junkyard but the price they quoted was about $170. Think I can get anything better? Has anyone gone through the process of sending off their Saturn L to the grave?

2002 saturn L200, 222k miles
In my possession since november 2008.
DIY mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rinyotsu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rinyotsu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rinyotsu is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Dsaturn
Dsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura aboutDsaturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: My Saturn is finally getting to rest

If you have the time and ability strip all good parts off of it then sell them. Where are you located? I may be interested in the front door inside panels and speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Where are you? There are people eveywhere looking for parts cars. $170 is a pretty decent junk yard offer.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car finally on the road!
2002 L200 grandson's car now
2002 LW300 sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm sorry that you're L-Series car is headed for its end. I hope that all goes well for you with the replacement vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinyotsu View Post
Does anyone know a good way to send her off? I contacted a local junkyard but the price they quoted was about $170. Think I can get anything better? Has anyone gone through the process of sending off their Saturn L to the grave?
The wrecking yard's price offer is not surprising. What they value most in the car is a working engine and transmission. I discovered this when my wife and I sold her '94 Camry, 2.0L, with a bad engine to a wrecking yard nine years ago. The body and interior were in great shape, but that doesn't impress a wrecking yard's vehicle purchaser. 02 LW300 has a point. There may be some one out there looking for a "parts" car and perhaps you can be paid more money by selling it to a more motivated buyer.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
sirlarkspur
sirlarkspur has a spectacular aura aboutsirlarkspur has a spectacular aura aboutsirlarkspur has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

or you could rebuild the engine and tranny which what im eventually planning to do to mine. (so i can keep it longer) its insanely CHEAP at the moment, unlike other types of cars in which the cost can become insane. so try that i bet it will cost $5,000 at the most and i rather spend $5,000 on my Saturn than to buy a $5,000 car with god knows how many issues. plus you will get 9 or more years with your car, thats less than $600 for each year you keep running your rebuild car afterwards. try and shoot for a rebuild DONT GIVE UP!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sirlarkspur's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sirlarkspur reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sirlarkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That is a good thought! I bought a rollover with a perfect engine for $100. That 200K mile engine is in my driver. It burned one quart of oil in the first 1000 miles. I changed the oil today at 5000 miles and it quit burning oil.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car finally on the road!
2002 L200 grandson's car now
2002 LW300 sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #7
uccoskun
uccoskun is on a distinguished road

you can donate to some non profit organization and get alot of tax credit. I never did this but it is on advertisement all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to uccoskun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help uccoskun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
uccoskun is offline   Reply With Quote