SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
itrangs
itrangs is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default AT problem during cold start

Hi, Saturn Vue08 /128kmiles

Having problems shifting to second gear on cold start. Within couple of miles of driving,it gets fine. Tranny fluid changed but no use. The mechanic says its safe to drive right now but costs upto $2k to fix and then will run for another 30-50k miles. Is it worth spending $2k ? i mean i'm ok to spend if it really runs for another 30k miles but wanted an opinion of previous owners or Gurus, Thanks !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itrangs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itrangs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itrangs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: AT problem during cold start

Is the slow shifting a problem that existed before you changed your fluid?

Did you change the transmission fluid yourself or have it done? Using the correct transmission fluid for your model year is very important.

Do you know what type of transmission fluid was used?

The answers to these questions will help guide us to troubleshoot.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Which engine and which transmission are in your VUE? Placing the vehicle model information into your User Profile is helpful.

Click on the User CP>Edit Your Details>scroll down to Primary Saturn Model Year and Primary Saturn Model Type and fill in the blanks. The information will then appear with each post written underneath your log in name.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-02-2017 at 11:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
itrangs

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post

Did you change the transmission fluid yourself or have it done? Using the correct transmission fluid for your model year is very important.

The answers to these questions will help guide us to troubleshoot.
Hi , Here are my responses.

No..the fluid change was the first thing suggested by my mechanic after i started experiencing hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear all of a sudden one morning.

The fluid change was done by the mechanic not by myself and he confirmed he has completed full hydraulic line flush.
My saturn is a Vue XE 2.4 2008 model with 128k miles. I'm the third owner and drove 20k miles in the last 3 yrs.

I checked the work record it says.." Filter 4 Auto "

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help itrangs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrangs View Post
Hi , Here are my responses.

No..the fluid change was the first thing suggested by my mechanic after i started experiencing hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear all of a sudden one morning.

The fluid change was done by the mechanic not by myself and he confirmed he has completed full hydraulic line flush.
My saturn is a Vue XE 2.4 2008 model with 128k miles. I'm the third owner and drove 20k miles in the last 3 yrs.

I checked the work record it says.." Filter 4 Auto "
Dexron VI transmission fluid is specified for your model year. Some claim that it can be used on earlier years but this very dubious.

The work record Filter 4 Auto does not tell us as to what type fluid was used.

At this point, there are several possibilities. Your fluid was well past needing changing. This can cause the symptom you described. However, if the wrong type of fluid was used, the hard shifting could remain an issue.

The other possibilities are a failing/balky shift solenoid or other internal problems.

If it were me, I'd change the transmission fluid/filter again making very sure the correct Dexron VI fluid is used.

Start with the easy stuff and go from there.

Keep us posted.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2 218K Miles
2004 L Series Wagon 2.2 68K Miles
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0 48K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

From the information available it appears that the transmission in your VUE is a 4T45E. There have been reports of shifting problems following a transmission flush in this family of transmissions. I had that experience. Apparently, the flushing process causes the flow of the transmission fluid to be opposite of the direction it travels when in operation. This puts "strain" - for lack of a better word - on the solenoid operation at the valve body (four of them altogether). In my case the problem was intermittent and eventually disappeared. It's possible that this is a transitory problem and may end after enough time and mileage has passed by.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
itrangs

2008 VUE 2.4L

All, Thanks for the response, quick update. I had a chance to call the mechanic and he confirmed he used the recommended fluid and that he even test drove the car (cold start). I called him today again saying that i'm seeing the maintenance light 'ON' and that oil change is not required as it was done just couple of months back. He said its safe to drive the car and the maintenance light can be reset. He says i can get back to him when i have budget to spend $2k and its going to take 3-4 days to get the transmission fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you for the update, itrangs ! What was the mechanic's final diagnosis to correct the shifting problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
itrangs

2008 VUE 2.4L

Well ! He says its safe to drive the vehicle the way it is in short term but the fix for this he says is to replace the solenoid, clutch, i think he also mentioned shaft and assures that it will give the car another 30-50k miles of life. Given the fact i cannot afford a new car at least in the next 1-2 yrs i think i'm convincing myself to spend $2k to get through this for now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Well ! He says its safe to drive the vehicle the way it is in short term but the fix for this he says is to replace the solenoid, clutch, i think he also mentioned shaft and assures that it will give the car another 30-50k miles of life.
Far be it from me to say that your mechanic is giving you bad information, but I'm just dubious about the need for at least some of the work he's recommending.

Was this the first, second, or third transmission fluid change on your VUE?

Quote:
Given the fact i cannot afford a new car at least in the next 1-2 yrs i think i'm convincing myself to spend $2k to get through this for now.
I can understand this point. If it's repaired correctly then your VUE will have many more than 1 or 2 years of service life remaining. I have serviced my transmission according to the factory recommended interval for my driving circumstances. In my case that's every 50K miles. I have a transmission fluid change service coming up fairly soon. It's annecdotal, but this transmission hasn't been much of a problem for me and it's just a slightly "smaller" version of yours. It's a 4T40E.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
itrangs

2008 VUE 2.4L

Thanks for your time and inputs. As each morning when i hit gas and it roars to 4k rpm and does hard shift with a jerk i'm kind of worried i may be ruining the vehicle and inside of it. I dropped the car today for the service and he said it will take at least 4 days (excl the sunday) to finish the "WORKS" ...fingers crossed and i will post once i get back the car and test drive for few days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
itrangs

2008 VUE 2.4L

Hi, My Vue is back after the overhaul and i can certainly feel a big difference better than before i even did not have the hard shift problem. Runs very smooth now and i received one year warranty/12k on paper for the repair that was performed though the mechanic gave a verbal assurance there should not be any transmission issues till next 50k miles. So far drove around 200 miles and looks good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!