SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
puck_ya
puck_ya is on a distinguished road

Default Rear Deck/Dash Removal

Looking to see if anyone has removed the rear deck/dash carpet from their 2000 Saturn LS and can guide me on how to remove it. I removed the obvious 4 or 5 visible pins but it still is stuck in there. I plan on putting in 6x9 speakers in rear deck area and wanted to take the carpet off first to see how hard the speaker install will be (Some cutting will need to be done). Has anyone attempted putting 6x9's in before?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to puck_ya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help puck_ya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
puck_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
soulsurvives
soulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura aboutsoulsurvives has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rear Deck/Dash Removal

I will take a peek later at mine, but have you tried installing from underneath?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_ya View Post
Looking to see if anyone has removed the rear deck/dash carpet from their 2000 Saturn LS and can guide me on how to remove it. I removed the obvious 4 or 5 visible pins but it still is stuck in there. I plan on putting in 6x9 speakers in rear deck area and wanted to take the carpet off first to see how hard the speaker install will be (Some cutting will need to be done). Has anyone attempted putting 6x9's in before?
There are no wire connectors on the back read deck/dash carpet that I recall besides in the doors themselves. And only the upgrade Audio model had a single sub-woofer looking speaker back in the truck rear deck location. Unless you pulled wires for rear speakers there is no actual wiring for rear speakers back there from factory. All I seen were the speakers were on the door locations and one in the back with Premium audio upgrade. The is only one spot from factory were is had for a Sub-woofer placement and that is all. For my money I would replace your door speaker and tweeters that would do more to help with the sound system playback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_ya View Post
I have not attempted to install any aftermarket speaker into the rear deck. Obviously, that's a customization and you'll have to tap into existing wiring at the center pillars and extend new wiring towards the rear on each side to accomplish this task. It will necessitate creating at least one completely new speaker opening and perhaps a modification of one already present as the subwoofer location (left-hand side) of the rear deck. Lastly, the deck cover itself would need grating cut into it to allow for sound to pass through it more easily.

As for the rear deck's "shelf" (as it's called in the FSM)

REMOVAL

1) Remove C-pillar trim moldings (around small rear quarter glass, left and right).
a) Remove rear seat shoulder belt cover to expose the shoulder belt fastener.
b) Remove shoulder belt fastener and shoulder belt.
c) Lower rear seat back.
d) Remove shoulder belt out of C-pillar trim at access slot.
e) Remove C-pillar trim assembly by puling gently at C-pillar trim locations. (Around window opening: three at rear of trim - upper, middle and lower [near bottom]; two at front of trim - upper and lower [near bottom].)

2) Lower seat back assemblies.
3) Remove rear shelf panel push pins using a door trim tool.

IMPORTANT: Center retainer can be disengaged by inserting a flat blade tool in side of structure box surrounding retainer.

4) Remove rear shelf panel from vehicle by pushing on (5) rear shelf panel retainers in trunk area.
5) Remove rear shelf panel.

INSTALLATION

1) If rear shelf panel is being replaced, transfer rear seat back latch insulators to new shelf panel.
2) Position rear shelf panel to vehicle making sure the rear seat back insulators are properly installed over seat back latch brackets.
3) Push at rear portion of shelf panel to engage rear retainers.
4) Install remaining push pin fasteners.
5) Install C-pillar trim.
a) Position C-pillar trim to vehicle.
b) Install C-pillar trim by pushing gently at clip locations.

IMPORTANT: USE LOCTITE 242 OR EQUIVALENT ON ALL RESTRAINT FASTENERS BEFORE REINSTALLING THEM.

c) Install rear seat shoulder belt to C-pillar.
TORQUE - 35 N.m (26 ft-lbs)
d) Install rear seat shoulder belt fastener cover.
e) Route shoulder belt into C-pillar trim at access slot.
f) Raise rear seat back.
g) Function rear seat should belt to ensure proper operation.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-20-2017 at 07:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote