SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #61
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Default Re: Saturn TDI

Thanks for the update. Was wondering whatever happened with this project.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 142k - Iron Duke w/auto
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 184k - DOHC w/auto 1qt/100mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #62
Jimmy123
Jimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura aboutJimmy123 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL
Default Re: Saturn TDI

Since the weather is turning colder I've had some spare time to start working on this project again.

I extracted the broken bolt that snapped off many months ago after soaking it in penetrating oil several times and working it in with the air chisel. It finally broke loose and came out turning it with a pair of pliers.

I also removed the factory belt tensioner and sawed off the boss that it goes through on the front to make room for the new tensioner mount I need to fabricate. As I said before Iím using jimboteís setup which retains the A/C compressor but deletes the power steering pump. Iíll have to do some calculations and figure up exact how everything needs to be.

I removed the side motor mount as well (the one right in front of the turbo), as Iíll be fabricating mounts similar to CFMís designs and wonít be needing it. Will probably end up selling any leftover VW parts I end up removing on this conversion.

The intake manifold was very gunged up after 335k miles so I removed it to get it ready to clean. I plan on soaking it in diesel fuel and scrubbing it with a brush etc. to loosen and remove the carbon. Thereís also a bit built up inside the cylinder head, so Iíll rotate the engine around until the intake valve for the cylinder Iím cleaning is closed, and clean and scrub the port with a brush and blow it out with compressed air, plugging the other open ports of course. If anybody has any tips or suggestions about doing this please let me know.

Iím going through the wiring harness now and labeling all the connectors to see what I need to keep and what can be gotten rid of. I've figured out almost all of the wiring on the ECU harness, but there are a couple connectors I can't figure out what they go to.

1st connector (4 way)

Pin 1 - T68/10
Pin 2 - T68/33
Pin 3 - T68/56
Pin 4 - T68/33

2nd connector (2 way)

Pin 1 - T68/27
Pin 2 - T24/9 (VSS Pin 1)

According to all the wiring diagrams I can find, ECU Pins 10, 27 and 56 are listed as "not used", so I have no idea what they are for.

Cleaned up the intake manifold a little bit yesterday by soaking it in a drain pan filled with diesel and scrubbing with a wire brush. It removed a good bit of the carbon, but it could still be better so I plan on doing it again tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jimmy123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jimmy123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jimmy123 is offline   Reply With Quote