SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
Cordate
Cordate is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Having a hard time saying goodbye.

I bought my 99 blackberry SC2 just over 10 years ago. Took a chance despite the salvaged title. That decision has bitten me a few times, but overall I don't regret it.

I love this stupid little car. It's just my size, fun to drive, unkillable.

That third door came in insanely handy. I've hauled straw bales, compost, giant planters, 2x4s, fencing, furniture... so many times I pulled it up to load something and was told "That's never going to fit in there!" but we always proved them wrong. I even had a trailer hitch installed so I could pull a utility trailer.

Thanks to the wonderful people on this forum (and richpin), I've done many many repairs myself over the years. The shifter cable, brakes, thermostat, spark plugs, motor mount, the exhaust (twice)...

Unfortunately it just doesn't have anything left in it anymore. It's only got 165k miles, but it has two major problems - serious structural rust on the underside, and a car accident two weeks ago that looked minor at first, but actually caused a fair amount of damage to the front end. This is on top of all the little problems that have been piling up.

I'm having a hard time letting go. It's stupid, it's just a car, and not even a nice one anymore... but seeing the Haynes Saturn manual in the garage even made me tear up!

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with it, or what I could possibly replace it with. There's a slim chance I can cannibalize some parts from it to get my brother's old 99 SC1 functioning, but it would be a lot of work and probably lead me back to a lot of the same problems I'm having now. It just doesn't seem realistic. But I can't let go of the idea.

Just wanted to vent to some people who might understand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cordate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cordate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cordate is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Magicman
Magicman has a spectacular aura aboutMagicman has a spectacular aura aboutMagicman has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Having a hard time saying goodbye.

I totally understand. Last year, I parted with my first Saturn.....which also happened to be my first new car ever. I held on to it with hopes of putting back on the road, but finally gave up.

with the damage you're describing, wouldn't it be better to get another one an maybe pull some useful parts from yours?

Thanks,

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Magicman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Magicman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote