SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
Shalkar
Shalkar is on a distinguished road

Post 1996 Saturn SL2 4-DR Sedan

Vehicle: 1996 Saturn SL2 4-DR Sedan

I'm pretty well S.O.L. if y'all can't help me. I have a situation here where somebody had lost the keys to this vehicle, tried (poorly) to hotwire it, and now I have an entire steering column as the replacement part. How do go about this? They had mutilated the ignition cylinder so bad that it was rather easy to take out. Only God Almighty knows what is what with these wires. So I figured just replace the entire steering column... It was also the only option from my closest junkyard. lol

Preferably a step-by-step guide with one, or two pictures for each step. Beggars can't be choosers though, and I just need to get this done before I get my rear end handed to me for not getting it done in time. I had searched, and searched in my area (that being any place I could find within fifty miles) for any kind of help. I could barely find the replacement steering column.

Last edited by Shalkar; 07-27-2017 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Added vehicle details. My bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shalkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shalkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 1996 Saturn SL2 4-DR Sedan

If you're savvy with Torrent files you can obtain the factory service manual which should have the steps. Search for "GM Official Service Manual Software, 98-04" & "Torrent".

The file will install an instance of a virtual PC with a Windows XP OS. The GM Manual is on the XP desktop.

96 and 98 S Series are pretty much the same with not much variance.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Clarify: Is this *only* a column replacement, or did the wiring external to the column get damaged and need repair? If the harness didn't get damaged, reconnecting to the replacement column should be fairly easy, as long as the column is the same year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

^^^Clarify. The actual complete column assembly replacement is a simple straight forward job. Need to know what you have as a replacement assembly and what is left of the car wiring.

This can be fixed and the FSM info is not overly complex or lengthy.

Depending on exactly what you have as a replacement assembly will determine what is required for the remove-replace operation.

Last edited by OldNuc; 07-27-2017 at 11:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote