SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Eren09
Eren09 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Dizzy Sl2 cranks but wont start

About a month ago I was driving on the fwy.heard a loud knock, which I thought was my transmission shifting hard. About 5 miles down the road I noticed my dashboard had dimmed out like I had lost power. Exited the freeway and when I went to take off from the light. It took the car awhile to get up to 45 mph. Then all off a sudden I lost all power and it dies out. I called aaa and he jumped the car so I could drive it on the tow truck. The tow truck driver said it was my alternator. Fast forward to this week and I had a friend go with me to pick up a alternator from pick up a part. Luckily he had a code reader and it was only giving me p0906 and p0907 errors. Which I believe are trans related. He then looked under the hood and saw that the seal around the air intake had melted . and that I had oil in two of my spark plug wells. So my question is that it I replace the air intake and drain the engine as well as replace the sparks. Would that get me up and running again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eren09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eren09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eren09 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Sl2 cranks but wont start

I think you have a few things going on.

Firstly, low voltage will cause transmission codes so I believe testing the alternator and replacing if deemed necessary will likely resolve those. You'll likely want to trickle charge the battery and/or test it too and make sure all the connections and grounds are tight.

Second, oil in the plug wells is usually typical of a bad valve cover seal. You'll need to remove the valve cover, ensure that it is true and not warped, clean off both the valve cover and the mating surface using acetone to ensure all oil is removed and then install the valve cover with a new seal.

It wouldn't hurt to replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires if they have 20K mi or more.

Third, I'm not sure why the seal on the air intake would be melted. This will need more investigation to figure out what happened and then resolve. Perhaps posting a photo will help.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (403,500 km @ 04/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (240,500 km @ 04/2017)
2005 Suburban Z71 (290,500 km @ 04/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Eren09
Eren09 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I'll have to find someone to help me test the alternator.
And am headed to the scrap hard to check out valve covers and air intakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170726_095025.jpg (77.3 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eren09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eren09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eren09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
trottida
trottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of lighttrottida is a glorious beacon of light

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren09 View Post
I'll have to find someone to help me test the alternator.
And am headed to the scrap hard to check out valve covers and air intakes.
So your current valve cover is warped then? You should be able to grab an aluminum valve cover from an earlier DOHC; they do not warp like the composite valve covers.

Wow, I can't imagine how the air intake melted like that.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (403,500 km @ 04/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (240,500 km @ 04/2017)
2005 Suburban Z71 (290,500 km @ 04/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote