SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Redmond
Redmond is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn Aura... Is this Just Drying Out or Could it be a Different Leak?

We have a 2008 Saturn Aura. A while back we noticed a HUGE amount of water in all of the floorboards. I read the postings about AC drain blockages. We had the drain line blown out, but was told there was no blockage.

We took the car to a body shop, but they couldn't get us in for a week, so we went home and went to work. We pulled off all the panels that we could and pulled up the carpets best we could without removing the front seats. We have wet faced the car, blot dried, and even placed Damprid in daily.

Ultimately, we found the leak to be the sunroof drain lines that had shrunk. (Thank you forums for that insight! We got that fixed and the leak has stopped. We have had a couple of rain storms since then and we have had no sunroof leaks.

However, I thought we had everything really dried out...except I put my hand under the front seats and only along the center console is there any dampness left.

We live in the south....so YES to rain and AC usage. We are going to check today for AC drainage, although our mechanic said they had it leaking properly.

I am wondering if the dampness is just residual dampness moving down through the foam. There is little airflow where the dampness is found. Or could we have some other mystery leak located within or under the center console?

It is not sopping wet, but you can feel the dampness in the foam. It is located on both sides of the car, if you were to put your hand under the front seats UNDER the carpet, next to the center console area. You actually have to curve your fingers up the console wall.

Before we put the carpets back down, I want to make sure we have all of the water leakage accounted for. If anyone has dealt with this I would really appreciate some insight. So far this forum has saved us tons of time and money. (thank you!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redmond's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redmond reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn Aura... Is this Just Drying Out or Could it be a Different Leak?

Can you air dry the area, propping up carpet where necessary? I made blower motors from discarded computers, the cooling fans from the power supply. They're all AC so wiring a two wire cord with plug is easy for instant fan cooling. This can be used to force air into every part of the interior to accelerate air drying overnight. Once dried out, observing the next few days of ac use may reveal whether or not ac condensation is causing wetness or rain still getting in. If you can make a small fan and have the car in the garage or at least under a car port, air drying shouldn't take too long with windows open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Redmond
Redmond is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn Aura... Is this Just Drying Out or Could it be a Different Leak?

Thank you.
Yes, we have the carpets propped up as high in the back as we can with brick supports.

We had used a fan, but currently, we are in the afternoon rainy season here in the south. So, I am fanning when we can. I think tomorrow we will just make a day of it and keep an eye on clouds.

I was told that the hump in the middle of the car over the transmission has extra padding, and therefore can absorb extra water. (We had an ark style flood inside due to broken sunroof drain lines.) SO I am pretty convinced that this is just residual drying in a tougher part of the car.

Thank you for your suggestions. Small computer fans is a brilliant idea!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redmond's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redmond reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I haven't looked lately for foam padding used in carpeting but my guess is carpet foam aren't sponges to soak up water. Wetness can be soaked up with absorbent rags, sponge, vacuum, whatever, with the rest blow dried with muffin fan. Of course, the less humid the weather the faster soaked carpeting and foam can dry out. Even on sunny days with doors or windows open, air flow thru the car with muffin fans in front and rear can help dry out the interior.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote