SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
noodles
noodles is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Redline AC not working, needs computer

I have had the compressor replaced on my 2004 Redline 3.5L, the system recharged but the compressor will not come on. The shop, who I trust, performed testing and diagnosed it as a bad computer. My question is which computer controls the AC system? If I buy a used computer will I have to have it reflashed? I have learned so much from this forum, thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to noodles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help noodles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Redline AC not working, needs computer

Sophistication in electronics also means communications between computers. Ecm, bcm, tcm, abs/tc/esc, OnStar, radio, hvac, etc., are all communicating to each other or to the bcm as the bcm provides the gateway for OBD II diagnostics. You should ask the repair shop that did the ac work since they're supposed to know this (unless they don't then it become a problem in more ways than one). HINT: hvac control panel if yours uses auto climate controls. The hvac control panel communicates to the ecm or pcm that ultimately turns on the compressor. If your repair shop doesn't know this................ BTW, I'm just another diyer with my own service manuals and access to other manuals to know this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
noodles

Thanks for the response. The computer is not sending a signal for the compressor to engage. I do not have automatic climate control, it is manual. He performed a pretty comprehensive diagnostics & told me the compressor is not getting the signal to engage from the computer. The previous owner did a real hack job when installing an aftermarket radio. I'm wondering if they may have cut a wire under the dash causing my issue as all the other components are functioning properly. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the AC control system? I'd like to try & trace the wiring issue myself before committing to a new computer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help noodles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does this shop use service manuals? Even with manual HVAC controls, the HVAC control panel is electronic and sends an AC request signal to the body control module, forwarding this request to the ECM or PCM. The ECM/PCM sends a command signal to the ac relay that powers up the compressor. You have three modules to choose from; HVAC control panel, bcm or ecm. I use service manuals when discussing diagnosing and troubleshooting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Mustangman03
Mustangman03 has a spectacular aura aboutMustangman03 has a spectacular aura aboutMustangman03 has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 3.0L

Just to add to fdryer's post it also has to read the right amount freon pressure in high line and low line.. if it has a clog or to much pressure or not enough pressure it will not turn on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mustangman03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mustangman03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mustangman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
noodles

All components have been checked by a reputable shop and are fully functional, the system is fully charged. The final diagnosis is that the compressor is not getting the signal engage from the computer. The previous owner hacked up the wiring under the dash installing a stereo & I'm wondering what other damage they may have done. I want to try & trace the wiring from the BCM to the ECM before I spend more money at the shop. I am in dire need of a wiring diagram for the wiring harness from the BCM to the ECM and possibly the ECM to the compressor. Everything else controlled by the BCM is fully functional so I am thinking the previous owner may have cut a wrong wire. I have been searching the web for a wiring diagram but have not had any luck. I truly appreciate the assistance that is being offered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
jco35
jco35 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
All components have been checked by a reputable shop and are fully functional, the system is fully charged. The final diagnosis is that the compressor is not getting the signal engage from the computer. The previous owner hacked up the wiring under the dash installing a stereo & I'm wondering what other damage they may have done. I want to try & trace the wiring from the BCM to the ECM before I spend more money at the shop. I am in dire need of a wiring diagram for the wiring harness from the BCM to the ECM and possibly the ECM to the compressor. Everything else controlled by the BCM is fully functional so I am thinking the previous owner may have cut a wrong wire. I have been searching the web for a wiring diagram but have not had any luck. I truly appreciate the assistance that is being offered.
PM far2grumpy. He maybe able to help you with the wiring diagram you're looking for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jco35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jco35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco35 View Post
PM far2grumpy. He maybe able to help you with the wiring diagram you're looking for.
I didn't receive request but will post a few thoughts and items in event OP still has a problem.

I assume A/C shop pulled the clutch relay and installed jumper between pins 30 and 87 to verify basic A/C system operated normally.

Regarding pressure issues - low or high pressures should set a code - check engine light will not be lighted but codes such as P0530 (sensor fail), P0532 (low pressure) or P0533 (high pressure) are generally stored.

First thumbnail is marked up diagram of A/C control circuit and second depicts the HVAC control scheme but MOST IMPORTANTLY has the TXV evaporator temperature monitoring circuit.

Last thumbnail is for blower circuit and problems there-in can result in BCM not sending compressor run data to PCM. See text on diagram for details.

Use care if you decide to substitute another HVAC controller ... wiring diagrams indicate differences between 02-04 Vues, 05 Vue and 06-07 Vues.

ALERT ... I just realized I marked up incorrect diagram ... I used 2005 Vue which indicates Circuit 60 yellow wire is routed between C2-4 and C1-11 and I should have used 2004 Vue diagram which has circuit 60 wire between C2-4 and C1-20. My bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.5 AC Cmprs Control CKT.jpg (201.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3.5 Evap Temp Sensor.jpg (123.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HVAC Control Module Mark Up.jpg (115.6 KB, 5 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 07-16-2017 at 12:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
noodles

Thank you Far2grumpy!, I have not had a chance to work on my vehicle since last week between work & family obligations.I will ask your question in regards to jumping the relay.This shop has done right by me for quite a few years, but you never know if he missed something. I appreciate your guidance & advice. I'm sure that I will be back with more questions. Have a great evening, off to trace some wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!