SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
jcm
jcm is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2005 RELAY-2
Default Transmission Slipping

It's been a while since I've had to ask a question on here - guess that's a good thing.

Before I run off to a transmission shop, I thought I'd poke in here and ask if there is anything that can be done to fix a transmission slip problem that has started to develop on my 05 Relay (75k miles). I noticed it slipping around 70k miles and then had the transmission flushed/filled with the hope that it would fix the problem but it didn't. I know I should have had it serviced sooner, but I neglected to do so. I'm Kicking myself pretty hard right now for not keeping up with the maintenance

In a nutshell, what is happening is that from a dead stop, when accelerating, the transmission will slip and then catch. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it - hot, cold, etc., just seems to randomly do it during drives. Some days it seems worse than others. All other gears seem to be working just fine.

Is there anything I can do at this point, or am I looking at an expensive trip to a tranny shop? Is it worth looking into an anti-slip additive? My gut tells me "no" but my wallet is telling me to exhaust all other options. Could it be a computer issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Transmission Slipping

The least you can do for now are some basic checks; with the engine fully warmed up, move the xmission selector in each gear and pause for 30 seconds (brakes applied) and xmission fluid level check in Park (using Dex III only). Its not likely delaying xmission fluid replacement caused this slipping issue unless this Relay is hauling a yacht or oversized trailer all the time. Overloading the car all time would also place a load on the engine/xmission and would qualify for severe use conditions, requiring early fluid replacement.

This may be as simple as a worn out xmission range selector switch. After the easy checks, things go downhill quickly as the service manual suggests internal xmission faults. Before presuming the worst, some more things may help like engine state of health and general maintenance.

Not being Relay familiar or expert with Relay problems, pm me an email address if you need info. Troubleshooting xmission problems can get complicated quickly without a program to follow to step through procedures correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
jcm

1996 SL1
2005 RELAY-2

Thanks for the reply. I'll PM you for the info - I am willing to do whatever I can before heading to the tranny shop. Hoping & praying that it is a simple fix!

We have never hauled anything with this van, so she's never been under any kind of load other than normal driving. My yacht is permanently docked in Florida (I wish)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
SaturnRelayVan
SaturnRelayVan is on a distinguished road

Hello there, @JCM would like to know what happened (what did you do)to your transmission now as this also happening to my Relay? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRelayVan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRelayVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRelayVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
jcm

1996 SL1
2005 RELAY-2

Well, strangely enough, it sort of stopped doing it... I have no idea why - I literally haven't done anything other than pray about it. fdryer gave me some tech docs to check out, but after reading through them I realized that I was in way over my head.

I bought a bottle of transmission slip-fix, but I have not put it in. Was going to wait to see whether or not it started back up or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcm's Reputation
Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
jonnymay
jonnymay is on a distinguished road

My 2007 Relay is doing the same thing. I found this forum while Googling. No suggestions on how to resolve (I already tried the praying!)??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonnymay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonnymay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonnymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
jcm

1996 SL1
2005 RELAY-2

I wish I knew. Mine has gone from slipping to shifting hard after it gets hot. It's frustrating for sure.

Transmissions are complicated to say the least. Guess that's why entire shops are devoted to just doing work on trannies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcm's Reputation
Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Pillar2004
Pillar2004 is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2

I have a 2005 with 146k miles. Starting from a dead stop the van would stutter similar to tires slipping on a wet road before the gear would catch. A local shop changed my fluid and filter and used an additive of some sort. The stutter has gone away and after a few weeks, the transmission seems to be fine. Every now and then I'll get a hard shift, but that's about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pillar2004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pillar2004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pillar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
tripletc
tripletc is on a distinguished road

So, I just bought one of these Vans off of craigslist for somewhat of a deal. Until after a day or two of driving I noticed there was a hard 2-3 shift and a slip into first.

Things seems to be resolved for now. First off the 2006 relay has a 4t65e transmission, which is used in dozens of gm models there is allot of help out there for this transmission. I had autozone scan for codes. There were 13 different error codes! Only one was transmission related. I'll talk about how I fixed the other in a different post if I have time. P1811- Max long term shift is the code related to the transmission.

In the 4t65e this is a classic indicator the the pressure control solenoid is faulty or clogged. This is hard to reach and involves lowering the transmission a little and removing the wheel and axel and most of the suspension to get the side cover off of the transmission. I did not complete the fancy fix like this. I will if I have to though.

I found some other forum about this transmission where seafoam trans tune was recommended. At first I panicked and took it for a trans flush and filter change. $200 I had the same issue except in almost every gear all the time whenever the engine got to temp.

I ran the seafoam trans tune through. Waited a feel week and did a drain and fill with a new tranny filter. I also installed a drain plug in the pan and a transgo shift kit. This replaces the shift actuator springs with stronger springs.

Basically from what I understand the solenoid direct trans fluid to these actuators basically a piston where it build up pressure to make the shift. When the solenoid is faulty the pressure doesn't build up fast enough. The transmission is ready to shift but there isn't enough pressure so the computer tells it to raise the pressure to adapt. The line pressure can suddenly jump into the 100's of psi and slam it into gear thus creating the hard shift.

The shift kit works around this by increasing the counter pressure on the piston with stronger springs.

After this the hard shift was totally gone. It was shifting smooth but still had a slip. I did one more drain and fill a few weeks later after some more seafoam to clean out the rest of the grunge, and then added some regular transmission additive with the change. And no more slip. It's been fine for about 4 months now.

I know the solenoid will need to be replaced but this has bought me time to learn and save up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tripletc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tripletc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tripletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
theman10111111
theman10111111 has a spectacular aura abouttheman10111111 has a spectacular aura about

Hey there I have a 2007 relay also with 118km's on it. I have literally the same problems as you guys.

I talk to my local mechanic ( not a dealership ) as he owns a relay himself. He told me he tried to fix this problem but after hours of looking into the tranny he finally found out that it wasn't the tranny. It's actually a computer glitch with the abs and traction control. Apparently GMC hasn't even found a solution to this yet...

I'm still looking into second and third opinion's on the matter but I thought I share this with you guys and get some feedback on what you think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to theman10111111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help theman10111111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
theman10111111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try this; remove the ABS fuse(s) to disable ABS and drive. Removing power to the ABS electronics disables any ABS/TC from interfering with braking and any theory of interfering with engine running.

As a rule, ABS is a totally separate function to effectively have safer braking and never interact with engine running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
theman10111111
theman10111111 has a spectacular aura abouttheman10111111 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Try this; remove the ABS fuse(s) to disable ABS and drive. Removing power to the ABS electronics disables any ABS/TC from interfering with braking and any theory of interfering with engine running.

As a rule, ABS is a totally separate function to effectively have safer braking and never interact with engine running.
Thanks, I'll give this a try in the morning !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help theman10111111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

starting in 07 the abs was integrated into the tcm&ecm(transmission control module&engine control module) as an enhancement to the stability system..the ecm or the abs module can send a tourqe request via calss 2 or can or gm high speed lan depending on the communications arcatecture.. to increase or decrease delivered output tourqe from the transmission to help with the abs pulsewidth modulation of individual wheel calipers to prevent positive wheel slip(loss of traction) and stop the 1 wheel wonder effect in dumb axles or transaxles(not having a dedicated control module..most08 and newer vehicals are equipped with rear cluch modules) a wheel speed sensor or the p1811 is the most common issues on u vans...the abs harness usualy has an internal break where it goes over the lca(lower control arm) and flexes up to the hub bearing connecter or where it goes up from the subframe clips up to the body...a hub bearing can be loose and not set a dtc or can set a dtc and not be loose...diagnosticly if you have acess to a scan tool or code reader than can access the data look at all the wheel speeds at one time in the metric scale as it is finer then mph...I have had bad hubs that read ok in mph and would have intermitant failure to quickly to catch in a live plot on the tech2 but showed up and were easyer to see when in the kpm sacle....

as for the line pressure solenoid not to bad to do...

hth

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
theman10111111

I went to mister transmission and they found the problem ! I'm unsure of the part name but it's a telescopic looking piece that suppose to lock when going into first gear but the transmission put's so much pressure on this piece that it's unable to lock at times. All they did was swap this piece out with the old school way called a "sprock" and this fixed the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
jackrcurtis
jackrcurtis is on a distinguished road

This "sprock" fix requires tearing the transmission apart?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jackrcurtis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jackrcurtis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jackrcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #16
Cmacias13
Cmacias13 is on a distinguished road

Dazed Re: Transmission Slipping

I'd like to start off by saying my Relay also had that initial stutter at take off. My Relay has actually broken down now. I have no Drive gears or reverse. Is it to late to try any of these fixes on here? i.e. Trans filter and fluid change?? Please help. Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cmacias13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cmacias13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cmacias13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Cmacias13, as you can see, many members start a thread but leave without replying with a solution, leaving their threads open. It's not a rule to reply with anything but a courtesy, whether or not a solution is found, to reply. The original poster did reply but others added their problems here without a solution. With Saturn discontinued and very few Relay members posting here, your not likely to get much help.

While its never too late for a xmission fluid and filter change, don't expect miracles. Xmissions have their own peculiar symptoms when they act up. Other Relay members would be the first choice for sharing experiences with Saturn techs above them for their knowledge. Unfortunately, you're in a very small group of Relay owner's. My replies to some Relay questions are often either ignored or as described, simply left without a reply. Many members do this in other forums, not to be mean but most likely desperate for answers. My guess is they found answers and forgot to reply here........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #18
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmacias13 View Post
......my Relay also had that initial stutter at take off. My Relay has actually broken down now. I have no Drive gears or reverse......
Welcome to SaturnFans, Cmacias13! The news about the transmission is bad and I feel badly for you. I owned a vehicle which had a failing transmission and it was an awful thing to experience. If there are no warning indicators illuminated at the dash console, either SES or Wrench, then I suspect that you're probably out of luck with the transmission. Of course, I could be wrong. What is the mileage and maintenance history of this vehicle. (The only way to know exactly what you're facing with this particular problem is to have a transmission shop diagnose it. If it needs any internal repair then it is almost always beyond what a DIYer could handle. Of course, that means towing it to a shop somewhere. If it were me, and I hoped that the vehicle could run again, then I would take it to a professional and have it checked. BTW, satlite440 [post #13] is a GM Tech/mechanic at a dealership.)

If you're considering selling the Relay as it is, you should know that vehicles with either a bad engine or transmission historically lose a good portion of their value on the used car market. I hope that things will work out well for you!

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 05-20-2017 at 03:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote