SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
joshsteinbring
joshsteinbring is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default P0455-is it worth diagnosing?

I just got an 04 Vue 2.2 FWD 5 speed in really nice shape, just under 160k, runs like a top. That being said, it is throwing a P0455 code. I've already replaced the gas cap with an OEM AC Delco and cleared the code. CEL came back on less than 100 miles later. It's running fine, I'm not smelling any major fumes, and it's the only code showing, after doing some research and seeing others go nuts trying to find the leak I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to diagnose or if I should just leave it be? How hard is it to visually check the EVAP system (canister and hoses)? I'm currently displaced and staying at a hotel without any way to jack the thing up. I know you guys have some insight into this!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshsteinbring's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshsteinbring reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshsteinbring is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0455-is it worth diagnosing?

If you look up P0455 from well recognized sites explaining the possibilities for a fuel vapor leak, you'll be informed on what its going to take to correct it. On the other hand, if you're in a state not requiring emissions inspection then ignoring the cel may be easier but not when other error codes occur where you'll have to periodically check for them. Annoying but that is what it is.

While my L300 is not a Vue, P0455 applies to almost every vehicle using similar emissions equipment. My original error code was another error code with cleaning the gas cap and lubing the seal correcting it. This occurred after the car was a few years old. Fast forward two years ago when P0455 popped up and wasn't a gas cap (replaced) but was a severely corroded fuel vent pipe, adjacent to the fuel fill pipe. The fuel pipe was fine but the smaller fuel vent line corroded (NYC winter salting) rusted until it disintegrated, opening the line. The fuel system is sealed at some point and tests are made to detect (low) pressure and vacuum. This is done every time the car is driven. No fuel leaks or vapors were smelled as these two pipes are the filler lines to the fuel tank. Other L-series members posted this problem so I had a hint of where to look and verified once I crawled under and looked things over. Replacing the fuel filler and vent pipes went easily and the error code went away on its own. The smaller fuel vent line broke at a bracket connecting it to the fuel pipe once I had it off the car (pictures in one of my posts). If you have winters and salting to accelerate vehicle corrosion, this may be your problem and simply requires crawling under with a strong light to see if severe corrosion is acting on these lines. Mine are exposed like other fuel pipes so normal corrosion sets up and voila, a new error code. All clamps, rubber hoses and wiring are fine in the area related to the evap system.

Last edited by fdryer; 04-11-2017 at 01:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote