SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
VictoriaG
VictoriaG is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Happy Service light goes off when I turn A/C on

I have a 1999 Saturn SL1 and my service light (not check engine light) is on. But when I turn my A/C on the service light goes off. I've tested this theory several times and it's always true. Is there something that gets closed off when I turn the A/C on? Perhaps a have an air leak somewhere???? Any suggestions are welcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VictoriaG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VictoriaG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VictoriaG is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Service light goes off when I turn A/C on

Instead of guessing and asking for more guesses, the check engine light stores error codes for retrieval by most readers. As long as the cel is on, there's a code. Either buy a personal OBD II reader or stop by AutoZone for free readings. Previous readers required writing down any codes displayed with upgraded readers printing them out for customers. Declining suggestions for parts, write or retrieve a copy of error codes. This is the first step to diagnosing before troubleshooting. Refrain from using a/c since you know it turns off the cel. Once codes are defined, post them here and follow up on your own to find the definitions so you won't be blindsided with technical terms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
VictoriaG
VictoriaG is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

My check engine light seems to be working properly. It's hasn't been on in awhile and when it does come on I do go to Advanced Auto, they are wonderful and they always give me the code and I fix whatever the problem is. My issue is not with the check engine light, it's the Service light with the little wrench next to it. Advanced said they don't read those codes and that I would need to take it to a mechanic and have him hook it to the big machine. I was hoping to find some help on here because I currently don't have an extra $75 - $80. Of course if no one on here is familiar with this problem I will eventually take it there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VictoriaG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VictoriaG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VictoriaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You are correct, the service wrench light isn't decoded with generic code readers. Unfortunately, we're required to buy moderately priced readers (may or may not have capabilities to decode wrench lights), visit better equipped repair shops that can read wrench codes or pay GM dealers to decode them. Since wrench codes are not engine/xmission/emissions related, most here find it to be about burned out bulbs. There's never been a post about an a/c problem associated with a wrench light but there's always a first. If I'm not mistaken, there are a few a/c error codes but they're not regular 'P' type codes. Other codes use 'C' (chassis), 'U' (network) or 'B' (body) prefixes where better readers/scantools are used.

Last edited by fdryer; 04-03-2017 at 05:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote