SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Patskeeper1
Patskeeper1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default FE5 Question

I'm planning on swapping out my suspension completely to fe5 parts. Shocks, struts, springs, LCAs, and swaybar end links. The only part I'm having trouble with is the end links. There are two different lengths that can be purchased, 11.8" center to center and 9.86" center to center. The longer ones were stock on fe1/2/3 cars and the shorter ones fe5. Even though I'm not swapping swaybars do I still need to get the shorter end links or will the longer ones work? I know a few people on here have done the swap. Any input would be appreciated.

Patskeeper1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Patskeeper1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Patskeeper1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Patskeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
mitche
mitche has a spectacular aura aboutmitche has a spectacular aura aboutmitche has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: FE5 Question

As far as i can tell the shorter ones are for the chevy's. I did the fe5 swap with a cobalt spring conversion kit. pita. I wondered about the links also but was using my old ones anyway so i didn't worry too much. I measured the mount from lower strut mount on steering knuckle to link mount and they are the same for ion or fe5. It works fine but always wondered and still trying to research it.
In gm parts websites the redline with sport suspension use longer but i'm not sure if that is fe3 or 5.
Just curious, what car are the fe5 springs your buying from?
You could try to talk to crate engine depot, they sell lots of ion fe5 stuff.
Their kit for the conversion shows the longer ones as accessory at bottom of page.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Ion-...yz-P51218.aspx

Just want to make sure you know that the cobalt fe5 springs don't fit into the ion top spring mount

I don't speed much anymore but I don't slow down for turns much either to keep the fun factor.

Last edited by mitche; 03-18-2017 at 04:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mitche's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mitche reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
Patskeeper1

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I was going to go with Cobalt ss/tc springs but from reading A BUNCH of post on various others other forums I found out that Cobalt springs don't fit on Ions. So I'm going to get new Moog springs for a redline.
As for the end links, it seems that either length will work. I read a post over on redlineforums where somebody with a redline put the shorter links on when they switched to fe5 components. IDK, I may just go with the original length since it worked for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Patskeeper1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
mitche
mitche has a spectacular aura aboutmitche has a spectacular aura aboutmitche has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan

sounds like a plan, if the originals are still good use them, and you can buy the shorter if you don't like it.

I don't speed much anymore but I don't slow down for turns much either to keep the fun factor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mitche reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Patskeeper1

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to getting everything done. I've got 125k on the odometer so I'm sure some fresh suspension components will feel great. Did you get any lower with the Cobalt springs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 AM   #6
mitche

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Yeah about an inch and half in front and maybe three in rear, the springs are the progressive ones made by a racing guy and sold thru crateenginedepot.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!