SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
buffumjr
buffumjr has a spectacular aura aboutbuffumjr has a spectacular aura aboutbuffumjr has a spectacular aura about

Default Sirius XM Install Install in Saturn Radio

I have a 2005 Saturn Vue. It had the "base" radio in it. The radio died. I replaced it with the tall face Saturn radio with RDS, RCL, single CD, and AUX button. I love it.

The instructions say it's Sirius XM capable. Yes, I know I need the Sirius module and antenna.

Now, the question.

There are two connector sockets in the back of the radio. The OEM harness plug sits in one, and all is working. The second plug socket is empty. Is this socket where the XM stuff is plugged in?

I just watched a YouTube video on installing XM. It seems there is an antenna module you plug the standard antenna into, then plug its antennal connector into the radio.

So... which is it? Is there something I buy at the GM store, or do I go to a stereo shop for this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buffumjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buffumjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buffumjr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Sirius XM Install Install in Saturn Radio

According to the '05 service manual, a stock radio with CD, aux, RDS and XM radio is all inclusive. No external XM module is needed as your stock radio already has XM in it. You'll probably need to call XM and subscribe to their service to activate your XM ready radio before it can receive and play XM channels. You may need to provide the radio and XM serial numbers. XM radio is a subscription service similar to cellular service. What you may be seeing on the back of the radio, if it's a three pin connector plug, is for OnStar. OnStar needs a connection to the radio for muting purposes while sending voice thru the speakers. The OnStar rear view mirror is the other connection (visible) for cellular communications. There's also a VCIM, vehicle communication interface module hidden either under the ceiling roof panel or somewhere in the front dash area. The VCIM is the OnStar module electronics. OnStar needs its own antenna. AM/FM and XM use the same antenna.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
buffumjr
buffumjr has a spectacular aura aboutbuffumjr has a spectacular aura aboutbuffumjr has a spectacular aura about

I tried XM chat. What an incredible aggravation! Each time I would ask a question, it was three minutes by the clock before she'd get back to me. Then, it was as if she couldn't see half my questions. GRRR!

According to XM chat, none of the numbers found on the data plate of my radio are XM identification. The empty plug socket was two rows of pins (10 each?). The XM chatter said it was for controlling back seat video, but I suspect not. No knobs for that. She said I'd have to get either a dock or a behind the dash module, and wire it in.

I'm going to go to Best Buy, to talk to someone face to face.

We have an XM unit we don't use, wired to my Sansui 8 Deluxe. I think I'll go with the dock kit. That way, I can move it between car and house. The salesman should know if the radio is XM capable, if he has experience. I'll take enough tools to remove the radio, to prove there are no XM ID numbers on it, and to show the empty plug socket. We can then figure out what to do.

I sincerely hope you are right about this being already XM capable. I can't figure out where to install the dock, if we go with dock. I'd rather pay the extra for a second subscription, and not clutter up the dash area. Only a face to face examination of the system can yield all of this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help buffumjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So, its another Saturn radio system other than what I found in the '05 manual? Perhaps GM customer support can help? While a little unusual, moving a GM radio around from one Vue to another shouldn't be too difficult for GM (live support?) to provide assistance since it is their product. The model year of Vue this radio came from can help too. Any info from turning on the radio, displaying XM info for use? I'm not familiar with newer radios with XM, GPS, etc., so I'm guessing here. I would think all serial numbers are labeled and printed for a visual reference and guessing the digital display may have more. Perhaps your radio uses the extra connections for an external amp?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
buffumjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
So, its another Saturn radio system other than what I found in the '05 manual? Perhaps GM customer support can help? While a little unusual, moving a GM radio around from one Vue to another shouldn't be too difficult for GM (live support?) to provide assistance since it is their product. The model year of Vue this radio came from can help too. Any info from turning on the radio, displaying XM info for use? I'm not familiar with newer radios with XM, GPS, etc., so I'm guessing here. I would think all serial numbers are labeled and printed for a visual reference and guessing the digital display may have more. Perhaps your radio uses the extra connections for an external amp?
BTSOM! No, there's no XM info on turning it on. When off, there is only the time displayed. There's no serial, no id no nothing. When powered on, it goes straight to the radio station display. Pressing the AUX button does nothing. I read the same manual you did. This is where the XM chatter said you have to have XM hardware, and turn to channel 0 for the ID. Well, if there's no response to pressing the AUX button, you can't select channel 0.

I was excited, reading the manual, and tried all the menu items. I set 24 hour time format, English language, and text display. I set RDS to "on", and turned off "A.SET" display. I synced radio time to radio station time. Then, when I came to AUX, nothing.

I contacted the radio seller. He said that the XM components are inside the car, but are not transferrable, somehow. I did offer to buy those components, but he said they would need remanufacture, and GM wants a high price for that. Remember, my Saturn came with the "base" radio, so would not have that hardware.

XM? "A Bridge Too Far?" Nah. Just gotta figger it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think someone is BS'ing you about a separate XM module. The service manual for '05 Vues describe the radio with your descriptions as having the XM circuitry built into the radio and not as told to you by a bull*****er. I can only surmise from presumptions; when XM satellite radio first came out, no one made a car radio for it and everyone had to go out and buy a separate XM receiver that connected to the car radio to play XM stations. There were/are XM portable unit sold to allow XM radio with an earpiece for total freedom for anyone wanting to carry it around like jogging and then plug into the aux connection for radio speakers or car radio play. Fast forward and most car radios allows the option to have XM radio already setup with a subscription service. Similar to OnStar. Pay for it and its enabled. Stop subscription service and lose XM. With electronics advancing every day, its not too much to imagine XM circuitry built into car radios and enabled/disabled simply by registering the unit with XM tech support. I cannot believe your radio doesn't have XM built in unless you were deceived to begin with and this radio doesn't have XM. This would explain XM telling you the numbers you gave them doesn't indicate XM in the radio. Unfortunately, if this is the case then you may have recourse to return the radio for a refund or contemplate the idea of buying an external XM receiver to connect to this radio.

Below are partial reprints of an '05 Vue with XM as part of the radio system. The scantool mentioned throughout all GM service manuals are in reference to GM's Tech II scantool, not Tom and Jerry's reader, SnapOn, or any other high end scantool.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (94.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information-1.pdf (111.8 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
buffumjr

OK, then the first visit should be to the stealership. Let them tell me what's what. Makes sense. Of course, the stereo store, Best Buy, and the stealership all have families to feed, and so their message is tailored to that interest. But yes, it's decision time. Stealership it is.

They'll be open, tomorrow. I'll tell you what they said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The OP's radio is satellite capable meaning it is compatible with the separate, external tuner module. The radio itself does not have a satellite radio tuner built into it. This should be no surprise because the satellite tuner is very rarely built into the radio itself. A few years ago some aftermarket companies (Alpine and Kenwood come to mind) made a couple models that did have the satellite tuner built into them, but that's about it.

The factory-installed tuner module communicates with the BCM and radio via a serial data connection (see wiring diagram below). Once the radio sees the external tuner is connected to it, the user is able to select XM1 or XM2 via the AUX button (as stated in the owners manual).

2004-2005 Vue satellite radio wiring diagram.pdf

The seller is incorrect in that the tuner module is transferable. The tuner and radio would just need to have the VIN of the new vehicle programmed into them with a Tech II.

As far as what tuner the OP needs, I'm not exactly sure. When looking for part numbers I found that there is a long chain of part numbers that are either obsolete or have been replaced with a newer part number. I think that any of these tuners within the chain would work, but it would take some trial and error to be 100% sure. To play it safe I recommend getting a tuner module from a 2005 Vue or Ion. A tuner module from a 2004 Vue/Ion should also work.

The second, smaller plug that goes to the radio is for the tuner module and OnStar.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
buffumjr

I guess I'm locked in to the stealership. I contacted GM help, and this was their "official" reply.

Quote:
Based on our dealer franchise agreement, Saturn recommends that you contact the Parts Department at your local dealership regarding your request. They have been established as a comprehensive resource for all part information concerning pricing, availability and compatibility. If you are not working with a dealership yet, you can locate one by visiting www.gm.com and clicking on “Dealer Locator”. You may search for your preferred dealer by zip code, city and state, or dealer name.
Tomorrow, the stealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #10
buffumjr

Late breaking news! The seller, on Ebay, discountoemradios , has informed me he will look for the unit and the antenna. If he has them, he'll give me a price. I may be able to escape being pillaged by the stealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
buffumjr

No, that's not how it is. The radio is just the control buttons and the display. There's an ECM module mounted outside the radio. That's what that second gang plug is all about. It's like plugging the keyboard and monitor into your desktop computer. By themselves, they show and can do nothing. You need the CPU. You can press buttons until your fingers fall off, and you get nothing. Been there. Done that.

The CPU, or ECM, in this case, has an anti-theft feature, the vehicle's VIN. This intimidates many, and they are hard to find, as the salvage yards ignore them, and leave them to scrap, preferring not to hassle with the technically challenged. The stealership will, for a fee, I'm sure, reprogram it with the VIN.

The seller says, so far, he can find only '07-'09, but he's still looking. I'm guessing those years would not work in my '05. Tomorrow, I go to the U-Pull-It, to see what I can do.

Worse comes to worse, I can get a vehicle dock for my home XM panel. We hardly use it, as we have a great CD collection. If the CD dock doesn't fly, I can carry CD's and forget about XM altogether.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
buffumjr

I just bought, at ridiculously low prices, two kits on Ebay. One is an Onyx receiver and vehicle install kit. The other is the FM direct Adapter. Totaling both, including shipping, it's under $50. The kits, at a brick and mortar store are $79 and $69.

I'll not use their Onyx. I already have an Onyx that is registered.

On to my shop to fabricate a mount, if their mount won't work.

The FM direct Adapter is a box like that ECM box we were discussing, only, it takes the output from the XM receiver, and sends it to your radio via the antenna cord. All your channel controls are done on the XM receiver, and all volume and tone controls are done on the radio.

Once it gets here, I'll let you know how it went.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #13
buffumjr

The install went well. The XM works well.

One note on the install is that the cord from the plug in to the receiver mount is TOO SHORT! My plug is located inside the center console, where it is connected to a wire that is hot only when the key is on. The cigarette lighter plug is hot always. I had to move this plug up behind the radio, so the cord to the receiver mount could reach. By the tiny diameter of the cord, I dared not try to extend it by cutting and soldering in an extension. It all works, but the cord is not optimally located. I'm hoping it doesn't fail, somewhere down the road.

The screen is bright at night, and is a distraction. I used the menu item to decrease the brightness, but it is still a distraction.

Love the blues channel, and the Joel Osteen channel. This was a good addition to the Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
buffumjr

I live in a small town where all the stations I pick up are at the fringe of their reception. It depends mightily on the weather what you can pick up on any given hour. While XM's jazz channel is not quite as good as WUCF of Orlando, the XM jazz channel fades only if I'm under an overpass. The Orlando and Daytona stations don't have full time blues.

XM rocks.

If you want to do this, I strongly recommend DIY, watching the Youtube videos, and buying CAREFULLY on Ebay or Amazon. You'll need
-the receiver of your choice
-the car mound kit *
-the EMDA kit **

* There are several ways of mounting: suction, stick-um, or vent mount. I have no idea what would be best for you. Stick-um worked for me, but I didn't trust it, so used 3 #6 sheet metal screws to help.

** The EMDA kit takes the signal from your receiver, converts it to FM, then inputs to your radio through the FM cable. The alternative, the AUX cable, works only if you have an AUX socket in your radio.

Many late model radios are XM capable, with no additional hardware needed. Your (ab)users manual will tell you.

I have a stereo mount kit in the home, as well. I can unplug from my car mount, and plug in to my home mount. All the presets stay. Only one subscription. Saves $$$.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!