SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Sound familiar?

Just got this tidbit of info from LLN's Chicago Auto Show preview.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nine-che...age-94493.html

That said, as the story indicates, there are no mechanical changes to any of the Chevy models, whereas Saturn did use Red Line as a way to promote performance.

I wonder if GM is going to resurrect the Red Line badge from Saturn.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Sound familiar?

GR898SL2, thank you for sharing the article! This is an interesting development. You needn't ask if GM is resurrecting the "Redline models" concept. It has been resurrected and given to the Chevrolet division! This isn't unusual since GM commonly reuses historic, and sometimes outdated model names - not that Redline is outdated - in many cases simply due to brand legacy. The name Impala, for example, has little meaning to a new generation of car buyers who couldn't care less about legacy. Use of the "Redline" makes sense for Chevrolet, but not for the other car divisions of GM (Buick and Cadillac) in North America as those are considered upscale products relative to Chevrolet. Interestingly, Cadillac has wisely chosen to drop their legacy model names and Buick has retained only one to the best of my knowledge - Regal. C'mon GM, find some more new names for gasoline powered cars apart from Cruze or the other shoe boxes on wheels. (Thus ends my rant on GM's penchant for lack of imagination about car model names. Yes, I know this wasn't the focus of your thread.)

Since Saturn's Redline vehicles were never strongly in the imagination of the car buying public - apart from those of us who followed Saturn - GM can make it look like something new roughly ten years after the last production Redline vehicle was produced and thirteen years after they first appeared on the scene. It's also possible that the re-emergence of the Redline name is an homage to Saturn and a subtle suggestion by GM to current Saturn owners to look seriously at the Chevrolet division when they consider buying a new car. (Sadly, the Saturn nameplate is likely to remain in the ash heap of automitive history.)

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 02-09-2017 at 06:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote