SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 AM   #1
dylanlobbestael
dylanlobbestael is on a distinguished road

Default Bad ECM?

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I was looking for some help.
I currently have a 2004 Saturn Vue 2.2 five speed and it is having some issues.

A few days ago I left the car running to warm it up and when I came outside it was shut off with the ignition forward, I thought it was weird so I tried starting it again and nothing happened, it would crank but not start. I tried reading the codes and I came up with four, all for Open Injector Circuit in all four cylinders. (code p0201 - p0204).
I cleared the codes and nothing happened, the car would still not start. So after much diagnosis and troubleshooting, the codes refer to the ECM being bad, the wiring harness being bad, or all four injectors are dead (which i doubted).

After a few days of letting it sit, I went to go start it again and boom it fired right up. Drove it up and down the street a couple times, then parked it for about thirty minutes running. I also shut it off and turned it back on again a couple times just to see if it would start. After that I drove it once more down the road and at about 4000 rpm the car stalled and wouldn't start again, I had it towed back to my garage where I parked it.

I tried diagnosis the issue since it seemed fuel related (started on starting fluid then died) and I tested the fuel rail and got around 60 psi which is fine. The car wouldn't start for about an hour and then randomly while testing the fuel pressure it started back up and ran fine, for about three minutes and then died. I have also replaced the CPS just to make sure it wasn't the issue.

Now the car sits and waits for the next repair, I was thinking ECM since the fuel rail will get fuel pressure and then decide to not fire the injectors randomly. Any advice is welcome, thank you guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dylanlobbestael's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dylanlobbestael reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dylanlobbestael is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Bad ECM?

I HATE INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS........

Start by cleaning the electrical grounds on the engine. This is a common problem with these cars as they get older, and can cause intermittent weird problems.

Remove the bolt that has the ground wires under it., Use a wire brush and sandpaper, clean both sides of the electrical lugs, clean the bolt and the mating surfaces, reinstall the ground lugs.

Don't forget the battery MINUS lead, It attaches on the drivers side fender.

I also added a couple ground wires to make sure I have good ground connections on the engine, ECM, and the Ignition coil assembly.

Look at this link to see grounds. Post #1 shows some connections on top, Post #3 shows ground connections underneath near the starter.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216101

ALSO - Reseat the ECM connectors, i.e. back them off a little, then plug them back in.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 02-07-2017 at 08:24 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Bad ECM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanlobbestael View Post
Now the car sits and waits for the next repair, I was thinking ECM since the fuel rail will get fuel pressure and then decide to not fire the injectors randomly. Any advice is welcome, thank you guys.
Next no start condition I suggest you remove the ENG MAIN Relay (underhood fuse block) ... determine which sockets match with relay pins 30 and 87 ... and then insert a small wire (paperclip?) between those sockets to see if engine starts/runs.

If it does you can assume with some degree of confidence there's a broken wire between ECM and ENG MAIN Relay.

You could review following thread - there are diagrams in post 45 and 47 which could be helpful and you'll also note in later posts several owners found bad wires between ECM and MAIN Relay.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=193925&page=4

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote