SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Shout out from BC

Hey all, love the site. (Proud?) owner of a 1999 SC2 I picked up at an auction for $1500, all taxes and paperwork in, with 240k-ish kms on the odometer, now around 347k-ish. So far this site has helped and/or inspired me to replace drivers window motor, re&re the brakes, rear sway bar link, inner and outer tie rods, lower control arms, oil pan (some idiot at a jiffy lube use an impactor on the drain plug, so it broke off the nut inside when i went to loosen it to drain the oil...), change all plugs and wires, replace a few burnt out lamps, replace thermostat, ECTS, etc.

Still on the to-do list: find and seal the rear quarter panel leaks, swap out seats.

I've owned a mazda 626, ford bronco II, toyota tacoma, toyota pickup, toyota tercel, gmc envoy, and this saturn sc2, over the years. The saturn has been relatively easy to work on, and cheap. Parts are still easy to find, though the local GM dealer is a rip-off for OEM bolts and nuts (LCA nut and bolt, singular each, $32 out the door! just the nut and bolt mind you!)

Anyway, great site, good to meet a bunch of like-minded mechanical types, anything I can contribute I will, keep up the great work!

Robb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robb_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Dusten
Dusten is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Shout out from BC

Welcome

1997 Saturn SL2 | 2001 Ford Lightning | 1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009 | 1993 Gen 1 Lightning #5194 | 1968 Ford Mustang | 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ | 2015 Hyundai Sonota | 2008 Ford F-250

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dusten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dusten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Old Crow
Old Crow has a spectacular aura aboutOld Crow has a spectacular aura about

2001 SW2

Welcome to the Saturn family. Too bad we are all orphans now

My spousal unit and I have gotten GREAT service out of our two Saturns. Wife's was running like a top with 210k miles when it got crunched. Hoping to get a good bit more out of mine -- engine is still strong at 257k miles and not using too much oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old Crow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old Crow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:05 AM   #4
awelch
awelch is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Hi Robb,

This is a belated welcome to the Saturn Fans website. I have been on / off here. I spend more time on the SixthSphere (Boosted / Significantly Modified Saturn) site. I just saw that you are a Canadian Member and in BC too.

I am the original owner of a 1992 SL2 with rebuilt engine (new piston rings, oil consumption fix, all seals - August 2015). The body metal is in good condition (no rust holes in the floor etc.). It is a Daily Driver and is not modified. It is very much a stock engine.

I don't know where you are in BC but if you ever want a spare car (although it's Gen 1) contact me. I may be moving to the USA in summer 2016 and want to find it a good home. It's too good to send to the junk yard.

Feel free to PM me or ignore this message,

Sorry for the blatant pitch. I am tired of talking to people on Craigslist who know little about Saturns.

-Al

Last edited by awelch; 02-03-2017 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Typo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awelch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awelch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
awelch

1992 SL2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Here are a few pics of the 1992 SL2. (Time ran out on my editing above).

It's just turned over 120,000 miles (bought it originally in the USA).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3577.jpg (149.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2598.jpg (211.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (210.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (102.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2727.jpg (169.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by awelch; 02-03-2017 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: added mileage text

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help awelch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Judging from the third picture of your motorized wrap around shoulder belts, if they're still in working condition, a long term suggestion may help. Find a way to lube the motorized belt assembly and track. Like motorized sun/moon roofs, taking the time to lube them periodically can lengthen their service life. While not a testament to 100% reliability, I lube my roof drive with lithium grease at least once a year with mine still working as it approaches its fourteenth year of service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #7
awelch

1992 SL2
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Shout out from BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
...While not a testament to 100% reliability, I lube my roof drive with lithium grease at least once a year with mine still working as it approaches its fourteenth year of service.
You must have read my mind...I was just thinking how much slower the seatbelt retraction mechanism had become due to extra friction when I wacked my head on it while getting into the car today. I will lubricate the slider & track again since I have not done so in over 2 years. By the way, it is all original hardware (almost 25 years old as I bought the car in May 1992). Some things like this mechanism are surprisingly robust even if only a short-lived design feature to meet the new safety laws at the time.

Thanks for the advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!