SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
chad878262
chad878262 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Question Where is the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

Hoping someone can give me pictures or a video or something really clear because I have searched for several days and reached out to my brother who is a mechanic (but lives in a different State, so it's hard for him to explain it to me). My bro informed me that he looked on a service the company he works for has and the ECTS should be located above the oil filter, but I can't see it from under the hood or when I get under the car (and I did remove the plastic cover under the bumper, still can't find it).

Does anyone have any way of providing me help with finding where it is? My wife's car is due for inspection and it has an issue where the car says "engine hot, AC off" even when she starts it cold. It also has a code P0128, so I went and bought a new temp sensor and thermostat, figuring I would just change both, but I can't find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chad878262's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chad878262 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chad878262 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Where is the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)

I can provide service manual extracts but need engine type: 2.4, 3.5 or 3.6?

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
chad878262

2008 VUE 3.6L

whoops! It's a 3.6 L V6.

Thanks Far2Grumpy, much appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chad878262 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad878262 View Post
whoops! It's a 3.6 L V6.

Thanks Far2Grumpy, much appreciated!
The FSM ECTS replacement extracts are too large to post so I've posted thumbnail ... ECTS is item 3 and mating connector is item 10.

Appears to be very near the oil dipstick.

I have files for ECTS and thermostat pulled and ready to email ... PM address if you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.6 ECTS R2.jpg (115.5 KB, 13 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although my engine is a 3.0L V6, the same P0128 error code appeared a few years ago. The coolant sensor is fine (verified by displaying operating temps with a reader). For whatever reason, the t-stat was faulty and needed replacement. For my engine, it was a two day ordeal with many upper engine parts removed to access the t-stat.

There seems to be a few here with this error code and not relegated to one engine size.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
chad878262

2008 VUE 3.6L

PM sent Far2Grumpy...

Thanks fdryer, but I'm going to go ahead and replace both as I think in this case the ECTS is the possible culprit. It reads the temp most of the time, but it has shown a "---" a few times as well. Not very happy to hear that the t-stat is going to be equally painful to the ECTS though. Why did they make these cars so difficult to work on? Working on my Sierra is a breeze, but when I have to do something on the wife's car (even changing the oil!) it always takes so much more time just because it's so difficult to get to everything. Honestly, is there a worse location for the oil filter on any car ever?

Again, thanks to both of you, will be taking another look at it when it get's light out in the morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!