SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #1
Duhminic
Duhminic is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 Saturn sl SOHC shifting points

Hey everyone quick question, I have a Saturn sl SOHC engine, just wondering what's the best shifting points for the best acceleration? I've hear that anything over like 4.5 rpm is worthless. Just curious for when I need to accelerate fast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Duhminic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Duhminic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Duhminic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: 2000 Saturn sl SOHC shifting points

Max HP is 5k rpm so over 4.5k isn't "worthless" lol
Max torque is 2.4k rpm however and just drops from there.

I'd shift between 4.5k and 5k rpm in a SOHC for max acceleration, maybe play around with it to see if higher or lower works better. Of course...it's a SOHC, the gas pedal is pretty much broken for any performance test that doesn't involve distance's between gas tank fill-ups anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #3
Duhminic
Duhminic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Max HP is 5k rpm so over 4.5k isn't "worthless" lol
Max torque is 2.4k rpm however and just drops from there.

I'd shift between 4.5k and 5k rpm in a SOHC for max acceleration, maybe play around with it to see if higher or lower works better. Of course...it's a SOHC, the gas pedal is pretty much broken for any performance test that doesn't involve distance's between gas tank fill-ups anyway.
Thanks for the reply! I will see what works best

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Duhminic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Duhminic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Duhminic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:37 AM   #4
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhminic View Post
Thanks for the reply! I will see what works best
Are we talking part-throttle acceleration here, or wide-open throttle?

If you are only using 10-15% throttle, and wait for 4,500rpm, you are merely wasting fuel at that point. I drive my SC2 in "Performance" mode, because the DOHC doesn't make peak torque, until 4,800rpm. This holds the gear longer, between each shift. At about 10-15% throttle, it will hold until about 2,700-3,000rpm, and shifts back to 2,000-2,250rpm. However, the DOHC is being driven well-below the start of its peak torque curve, so to shift early actually creates excessive heat and reduces fuel economy slightly, due to increased "lugging" of the engine.

With your SOHC, peak torque occurs very early, so you do not need to hold gears during part-throttle acceleration for quite that long. Shifting from 2,000-2,500rpm should me more than sufficient to keep the engine at the start of the torque curve, as you accelerate through all five gears. This won't hurt your engine, because it was tuned for easy driving at low speeds, and achieves much better fuel atomization at its lower speeds.

When talking about wide-open throttle, ideally, you want to shift at your peak HP rpm and back to your peak torque rpm or just a few 100rpm after peak torque. Shifting early may not hurt this particular engine, due the the torque curve, but it certainly won't make any noticeable difference than shifting at 5,000rpm. Running past 5,000rpm is fairly useless, because your torque drops off sharply, and once the engine reaches 5252rpm, it is doing more work(HP) than the power(TQ) it is generating. This is a universal law of physics, for all engines.

Peak torque is 114 ft-lbs @ 2,400rpm, which equates to 52hp.

At 5,000rpm, you are making 100hp, which translates to 105 ft-lbs of torque.

Like I said, you won't really "feel" 9 ft-lbs of difference in lateral g forces.

You should see your best fuel economy, during cruise, at pr about 1,500-1,800rpm.

Just keep a close eye on your oil level, and make sure you check it weekly.and after/during long-distance trips. If you don't, you won't have your Saturn for very long.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 142k - Iron Duke w/auto
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 183k - DOHC w/auto 1qt/100mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

You'd shift at or near redline as usual for max acceleration. For daily driving, I'd shift between 2k-3k revs. The sooner you can shift to keep RPM's low, the less oil you're going to burn through.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
gpfaster
gpfaster is on a distinguished road

Best way to have a sohc acclerate fast is to drive it off a cliff lol.

2400-2500 keeps up with the flow of traffic nicely for me. Might wind it out to 3500 on a short high way on ramp

2001 SC1
2014 Ram 1500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpfaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpfaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpfaster is offline   Reply With Quote