SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
Duhminic
Duhminic is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn ion 2005 Brakes locking up

Hey everyone I have a quick question for you guys with more knowledge than me. I have a 2005 saturn ion with 113,000 miles on it. For a while now its been locking up only one tire when i brake (and I'm not braking way hard, like normal braking) Pretty much it cannot brake on the freeway or else it will lock up badly. What I've done to try and resolve this is bleeding the brakes and putting new fluids in there, but still no luck. Any suggestions ?? I'm completely lost on what else to do. Thanks again

Saturn ion 2005 113,000 miles

Last edited by Duhminic; 01-14-2017 at 11:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Duhminic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Duhminic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Duhminic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Saturn ion 2005 Brakes locking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhminic View Post
Hey everyone I have a quick question for you guys with more knowledge than me. I have a 2005 saturn ion with 113,000 miles on it. For a while now its been locking up only one tire when i brake (and I'm not braking way hard, like normal braking) Pretty much it cannot brake on the freeway or else it will lock up badly. What I've done to try and resolve this is bleeding the brakes and putting new fluids in there, but still no luck. Any suggestions ?? I'm completely lost on what else to do. Thanks again

Saturn ion 2005 113,000 miles
Which wheel is locking up? If it's one of the front wheels, check the caliper pins & boots. Make sure the pins are properly lubed up and moving freely. Use only high temp brake grease for this. You could also have bad brake hose. They will collapse and act like a check valve if they are bad, which would prevent a caliper from being released when you let up on the brake pedal. If it's a rear wheel, you probably have a bad wheel cylinder (assuming your Ion isn't a Red Line which has rear disc brakes) or a drum that is slightly out of round.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:58 AM   #3
Duhminic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Which wheel is locking up? If it's one of the front wheels, check the caliper pins & boots. Make sure the pins are properly lubed up and moving freely. Use only high temp brake grease for this. You could also have bad brake hose. They will collapse and act like a check valve if they are bad, which would prevent a caliper from being released when you let up on the brake pedal. If it's a rear wheel, you probably have a bad wheel cylinder (assuming your Ion isn't a Red Line which has rear disc brakes) or a drum that is slightly out of round.
The rear right tire is the one that is locking up should I just replace the whole drum assembly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Duhminic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
The rear right tire is the one that is locking up should I just replace the whole drum assembly?
Yes, replace the whole drum. You could first try adjusting the brake shoes so it isn't quite as aggressive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
So that's the only one that's working and you want to replace it? I would look at the other threee corners,first, rebuild front calipers, andinspect / adjust the left rear brake so it brakes it's fair share.

Too soon to be throwing parts at it...

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
Duhminic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
So that's the only one that's working and you want to replace it? I would look at the other threee corners,first, rebuild front calipers, andinspect / adjust the left rear brake so it brakes it's fair share.

Too soon to be throwing parts at it...
Its the only tire that locks up so i think thats the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
I agree. Billy's reasoning & advice makes no sense. I thought you made it pretty clear that the right rear wheel is locking up prematurely and the three others are working fine.

Something else that could be a factor is your front struts. If they are really worn this would cause more weight than normal to be transferred to the front wheels when braking. This would cause the rear wheels to lose traction & lock up a lot easier when braking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #8
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I agree. Billy's reasoning & advice makes no sense. I thought you made it pretty clear that the right rear wheel is locking up prematurely and the three others are working fine.

If the other brakes work then why don't they lock up?. Asssuming they are working fine is no where quoted- quite the opposite.
It's been my experience that the one locking up is braking better than the other corners. I wouldn't asssume the others are 100%.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Brakes are supposed to brake. WHy aren't the other corners sharing the load?
WHen the others aren't working well and one is, well, you have this thread, maybe

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 12:19 AM   #10
Duhminic

Quote:
If the other brakes work then why don't they lock up?. Asssuming they are working fine is no where quoted- quite the opposite.
It's been my experience that the one locking up is braking better than the other corners. I wouldn't asssume the others are 100%.
I'm not sure that's what not making sense, only the back right one locks up. Maybe I should change out the whole drum assembly and see if that changes it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 03:16 AM   #11
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Brakes are supposed to brake. WHy aren't the other corners sharing the load?
WHen the others aren't working well and one is, well, you have this thread, maybe
When used properly, brakes aren't supposed to lock up in most non-emergency/panic stop braking situations (aka "normal braking").

The offramp I encounter on my way home from work everyday is a good example. There's only about 300-400 feet of straight pavement between where I can start to merge onto the offramp and where the sharp curve starts. The posted speed on the offramp is 30 MPH. Despite the relatively short distance provided, only about 50-75% of braking power is needed to slow down from 70 MPH to 30 MPH in this distance. I don't need to floor the brake pedal to achieve this. The wheels shouldn't be locking up in this situation on dry (or even wet) pavement.

I believe the OP is experiencing [premature] brake lockup in a similar situation. The cause is either an excessive braking issue at that wheel or the tire isn't providing adequate traction, causing the wheel to require significantly less braking power than normal to lock it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:02 AM   #12
Duhminic

Quote:
When used properly, brakes aren't supposed to lock up in most non-emergency/panic stop braking situations (aka "normal braking").

The offramp I encounter on my way home from work everyday is a good example. There's only about 300-400 feet of straight pavement between where I can start to merge onto the offramp and where the sharp curve starts. The posted speed on the offramp is 30 MPH. Despite the relatively short distance provided, only about 50-75% of braking power is needed to slow down from 70 MPH to 30 MPH in this distance. I don't need to floor the brake pedal to achieve this. The wheels shouldn't be locking up in this situation on dry (or even wet) pavement.

I believe the OP is experiencing [premature] brake lockup in a similar situation. The cause is either an excessive braking issue at that wheel or the tire isn't providing adequate traction, causing the wheel to require significantly less braking power than normal to lock it up.
If I were to panic brake (suddenly push the brake) the back right tire will lock for a couple of seconds and then either return normal or stay locked. In other situations like normal braking, it will be fine till a certain point then then back right will lock after pushing more, also if i keep pushing even more the tire will like LOCK up and the car will start drifting to the left. Thats the situation I'm in.
(Also if put the emergency brake goes on while going to a stop once again its only the back right tire that locks, don't know what it can be!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #13
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Front brakes provide the majority of stopping force and should haul down the car long before any rear wheel locks up.

WHy aren't the fronts working?
Have the calipers ever been rebuilt?
SLide pins inspected, greased or replaced?
Pads replaced/(brake)pistons/ bores inspected to ensure proper function?

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #14
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
(Also if put the emergency brake goes on while going to a stop once again its only the back right tire that locks, don't know what it can be!)
YOur brakes are out of adjustment in the rear and your front's aren't sharing the load.

Ever had the brakes worked on ? When ?total MIles?
Rust belt car?

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
If I were to panic brake (suddenly push the brake) the back right tire will lock for a couple of seconds and then either return normal or stay locked. In other situations like normal braking, it will be fine till a certain point then then back right will lock after pushing more, also if i keep pushing even more the tire will like LOCK up and the car will start drifting to the left. Thats the situation I'm in.
It sounds to me like your rear brakes are out of adjustment. I actually have this same problem to a lesser degree. I don't notice it unless I intentionally lock up the brakes at highway speeds. In my case the right rear wheel locks up just a touch sooner than it should. The emergency brake works good (I use it all the time because the car is a stick shift), but again, the right rear locks up just a touch before the left if I engage it at speed.

I know that I need to at the very least adjust the shoes at that wheel. I plan to inspect and overhaul the rear brakes after it warms up a bit. My drums are seized on and I wasn't able to break them loose no matter how hard I beat on them last summer. I'm sure I just need a bigger hammer.

I just got new tires a couple months ago and that made a very noticeable difference in braking too. My front struts (Monroe Sensa-Tracs installed by the previous owner) seem to be a bit weak to which I know isn't helping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!