SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
Duhminic
Duhminic is on a distinguished road

Default Question about ECTS Saturn sl 2000

Hey everyone i just have a quick question about my car. Ive seen that everyone is saying that the ECTS before 2001 were not the best and should be replaced and the temperature should indicate at the 1/2 mark. Well today I've replaced the sensor with a junkyard one of the newer ones, i thought maybe it would show a difference since the older one was cracked, but its still showing it at the 1/4 mark. I will be going to auto zone tomorrow for a brand new one and see if that changes it. But i guess the question here is for my car should it be at 1/4 mark or 1/2?
Saturn sl 2000 140,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Duhminic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Duhminic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Duhminic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Question about ECTS Saturn sl 2000

Don't go nuts over this. If the one you installed is the brass tip, you're most likely fine. I have owned 3 Saturn SL2 models. And my oldest girl still has her 2002 SL. My own were a 96, 99 and a 2001. Only the 96 ever ran the gauge nearby the 1/2 point. The other 2 I have owned and my oldest daughter's all ran a needle width above 1/4. I attribute this to perhaps different actual gauges. Because when checked with an actual thermometer in the tank they all ran the coolant at the same actual temperature. All had brass ECTS sensors, all had the same Stant thermostats also
So if you're a needle width above 1/4 don't worry about it

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
00_SL1
00_SL1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

It's has less to do with where the gauge reads than it does what the actual temp is reading, which you will need a scan tool for. ELM327 on Amazon, and a smartphone app (Torque) will help you out there. Generally though, the 3/8 mark on the temp gauge is more often than not considered "normal"

Visually inspect the connector for the ECTS, common for a broken wire there.

Also, consider replacing the thermostat with a Stant brand.

Less commonly talked about is the IATS and it's connector (same as ECTS connector)

A quick search will give you many posts with more details.

Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00_SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00_SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

You know the scan tool gets the same data as the gauge right? So you won't see anything different. Sometimes you have to resort to old basic t/shooting and drop a thermometer in the tank watch the flow and the like. This and ONLY this will give you a TRUE temp

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhminic View Post
But i guess the question here is for my car should it be at 1/4 mark or 1/2?
For most people with 1996-2002 S-series, it should be 3/8 (about halfway between 1/4 and 1/3) but see below
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood
You know the scan tool gets the same data as the gauge right? So you won't see anything different. Sometimes you have to resort to old basic t/shooting and drop a thermometer in the tank watch the flow and the like. This and ONLY this will give you a TRUE temp
this is true, but I think what he was trying to say is that the temp gauge is not a precision instrument.

So while the actual coolant temp may be in the right range when hot (200~215, IIRC), the temp gauge could show 1/4, or it could show 1/2 - depending on the car, pretty much what you said in your first post.

Dropping a thermometer in the tank may not be a bad idea, actually.

I had no change after I replaced my ECTS with a brass one, had to solder on a new ECTS connecter (grabbed an IAT connector from the JY)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Duhminic

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I think what I'll do is change out the thermostat and see if that changes and I'll let you guys know!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Duhminic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhminic View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I think what I'll do is change out the thermostat
That seems unnecessary and won't do anything for your temp gauge reading.

It would be cheaper and easier to put a thermometer in the surge tank (reservoir/overflow) and see what the temperature is.

If the car is new to you, then I suppose it doesn't hurt to change the thermostat if you were planning on putting in new coolant, anyway. Are you having other symptoms (no heat in the car, reduced mpg?)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Duhminic

Currently just having lower mpg, car has 140.000 miles most things still stock so I thought might as well change it since I need to replace coolant anyways, I also hear that sometimes the thermostat gets stuck open or something like that? Maybe that could be affecting me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!