SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
bigcougar
bigcougar is on a distinguished road

Default Looking for small Discontinued parts

I am in Terrace, BC and will be replacing the rear control arms and bushings on my 2000 LW1. The problem now is I cannot order some bolts as they are discontinued.

For example bolt #19 below which is GM #09231141

Also looking for bolt #16 and possibly other bolts. What is a good reliable place to find these or replacements that would fit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigcougar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigcougar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Looking for small Discontinued parts

Go to a good hardware store and pick-up some Grade 8 bolts, washers & nuts which match the GM hardware. Grade 8 Hardware matches or exceeds the strength of the GM parts.

Bring the bolt with you to the hardware store. If you do not have the bolt to compare, do some research on the length and dia needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

These two sites are good for metric parts if your local Home Depot, Lowe's, whatever doesn't have them. A few minutes spent measuring the bolt for thread pitch, shank diameter and length should help you find a correct replacement. 10.9 is the strength for metric bolts.

Belmetric.com; https://www.belmetric.com/12mm-coars...6_510_406.html

BoltDepot.com; https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_tap...m_x_1.5mm.aspx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
bigcougar
bigcougar is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys!

The local Canadian Tire store, which will also do the repair say they will find the bolts. I hope the whole procedure goes smoothly. It will be a $1,700 repair on a car that cannot be sold for more than $1,000 but what the heck; it is my car.

I figure it is better for our environment to drive small engine cars for as long as they last and my fuel efficiency is still 7 litters per 100km on the highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigcougar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigcougar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcougar View Post
I am in Terrace, BC and will be replacing the rear control arms and bushings on my 2000 LW1. The problem now is I cannot order some bolts as they are discontinued.

For example bolt #19 below which is GM #09231141

Also looking for bolt #16 and possibly other bolts. What is a good reliable place to find these or replacements that would fit?
Try Rock Auto...they seem to have tons of discontinued parts from various auto makers but they are in the U.S. and you will have to pay shipping and taxes as applicable. Not to mention the exchange rate but give it a try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote