SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #21
Hornblower
Hornblower is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Tool for removal of Drive Belt on Saturn Vue

The belt is under considerable tension with the combination of the tensioner spring and idler spring. To make a homemade compression tool that is durable and will handle the forces I would recommend an adoption of a strut removal tool to accomplish this. I sell one for around $70 which includes the tool, deep socket and instructions on ebay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hornblower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hornblower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #22
Hornblower

The strut compressors will not work since they cannot hook onto the end of the both sides of the hybrid compressor spring. You need a special tool. My partner and I have designed one and sell it on ebay for $70. It includes instructions and a deep socket usable with a 1/2 inch drive or equivalent.
Lot cheaper than going to the dealership or to Kent-Moore to purchase the commercial version.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hornblower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #23
dabatman99
dabatman99 is on a distinguished road

has anybody tried the worm clamp option? Does it actually overcome the spring pressure?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dabatman99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dabatman99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dabatman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #24
Hornblower

I know it has been awhile since my last blog. I have finished the design of a special tool which I am calling the hybrid compression tool to remove the drive belt on the saturn vue Hybrid vehicle. Can also be used on other GM vehicles that have eAssist feature which stops the car when at stop. These vehicles use the tensioner assembly P/N 12655192 and require the special tool are:
Buick LaCrosse 2012-2015 2.4L L4 - Electric/Gas
Buick Regal 2012-2014 2.4L L4 - Electric/Gas/Flex
Chevrolet Impala 2014 Eco 2.4L L4 Electric/Gas
Saturn Vue 2007-2009 Hybrid/Green Line 2.4L L4 - Electric/Gas
Saturn Aura 2007-2009 Hybrid/Green Line 2.4L L4 - Electric/Gas
Chevrolet Malibu 2008-2010 Hybrid 2.4L L4 - Electric/Gas
Chevrolet Malibu 2013-2014 Eco 2.4L L4 - Electric/Gas
Note: The procedure to remove the drive belt on these unique vehicles using this special tool is provided on Youtube under the title "Drive Belt Removal on a 2007 Saturn Vue Greenline ".
I sell it on ebay for under $90 plus provide instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hybrid Tool Compressed.jpg (32.0 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #25
Hornblower

This is an update. I have redesigned the tool to use a acme threaded bolt. Although I have had no returned on ebay I am now using an acme threaded bolt and coated the tool in multiple layers of primer and 3 coats of plasti-dip paint. Tool will not now rust and last until you plan to discard the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #26
Kwolfey
Kwolfey is on a distinguished road

I see Hornblower had this tool for sale at one time but I cannot find one. Does anybody make these and sell them for a decent price?

Sorry I cannot to reply to Hornblower's last comment for some reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kwolfey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kwolfey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kwolfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 AM   #27
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Did you try private messaging Hornblower? He may have more than one email address if you search in the member's list.

2-He may be contacted (if the listing is him) from his last ebay listing the tool; http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Serpentin...001?rmvSB=true

3-This may be him; http://usedcarstobuy.org/detail/GM-S...783763001.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 AM   #28
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwolfey View Post
I see Hornblower had this tool for sale at one time but I cannot find one. Does anybody make these and sell them for a decent price?

Sorry I cannot to reply to Hornblower's last comment for some reason.
It looks like he cobbled it together from parts of a strut spring compressor... ought to be easy to make .

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #29
Hornblower

Yes I have tried a strut tool but the clearance is too small to adequately getting into the space. I do need to design a tool like the one that Kent Moore sells to get into the place. Also, the belt is held in also with another idle pulley that is under tension to remove and replace the belt. This one can be released by placing a 15mm wrench on its center bolt and rotating it clockwise and simultaneous removing the belt from around it. So two actions must be down to remove the belt on the Saturn Vue Hybrid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2016, 02:42 AM   #30
mikeinoki
mikeinoki is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Tried a C-clamp. Broke a bolt.
Had trouble in past with hose clamps stripping.
Now use pipe straps, 1/4 inch screws, nuts, washers. Couple of dollars worth of parts maybe. Very easy. Look for screws with the threads all the way up. Nuts hold themselves in place when the strap bends around them. Screws turn easily with a big screwdriver. I keep my tensioner tool in the spare tire compartment in case I ever need to replace a belt out on the road. Just kidding. It's a Vue hybrid. There is no spare tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tensioner tool 2.jpg (137.5 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikeinoki's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikeinoki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikeinoki is offline   Reply With Quote