SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #1
djjsc
djjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1998 SW2
Default Want Early DOHC exhaust manifold

CDN $ is CRAP so thought I'd post here. Anyone got a '91 - '92 DOHC exhaust manifold in good condition? Or aftermarket header for '91 - '98 DOHC? Location, pics & price please. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djjsc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djjsc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djjsc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
mtlsc1
mtlsc1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
Default Re: Want Early DOHC exhaust manifold

Any luck?? I would recommend you find a good pick & pull scrapyard in your area and get it yourself... so much cheaper and faster than many other options. The big plus is you get to check out the condition of the whole vehicle in general and often have more than one vehicle to pull from... plus you can practice removing it without damaging your own car.

2001 Sc1 1.9 SOHC

Towed less than a quarter mile in 17 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtlsc1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtlsc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtlsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
djjsc
djjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the roughdjjsc is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1
1998 SW2
Default Want Early DOHC exhaust manifold

No luck. Few "pick & pulls" here & those that still exist are more interested in crushing than selling. Go figure. Also advertised locally w/ some success but sellers(?) can't grasp the concept of pictures, location & price; in other words, no follow up to my replies. On more than one instance it turned out seller (at least 100 miles distant) was pedalling a SOHC cast iron.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djjsc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djjsc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djjsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
mtlsc1

2001 SC1

Have you tried Ebay, Amazon or Kijiji? Otherwise I'd have to say your best bet is to come out east...

2001 Sc1 1.9 SOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mtlsc1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjsc View Post
CDN $ is CRAP so thought I'd post here. Anyone got a '91 - '92 DOHC exhaust manifold in good condition? Or aftermarket header for '91 - '98 DOHC? Location, pics & price please. Thanks.
www.car-part.com

You can find 1991-1992 Saturn 1.9L DOHC Exhaust Manifolds, from your local salvage yards.

I paid $40(USD), for mine. The problem is finding the Y-pipe. Not many companies still make the Y-Pipe, and GM has discontinued both the manifold amd the Y-Pipe.

Walker, from the USA, make the Y-Pipe assembly for $219.99(USD), and it comes with all the gaskets, brackets, etc for installation.

OBX makes exhaust systems that are dirt cheap, in comparison, but will likely crack within 6 months of getting them.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

OBX only cracks if improperly installed and you have the identical cracking issue with the Saturn OEM tube manifold if improperly installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #7
mtlsc1

2001 SC1

That could explain why I have lately seen so many S series with missing exhaust manifolds at the various U pulls I go to (8 or 9 out of 10 are missing exhaust manifold)... Bad installations as well, so the guys just get another one???

2001 Sc1 1.9 SOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Saturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura aboutSaturn Night has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2

Any part on a car will fail, if improperly installed.

Exhaust headers, from aftermarket companies such as OBX/Hooker/Pypes/etc, are usually way overpriced. However, since most cars come with restrictive manifolds because of emissions regulations and costs, these companies can get away with it.

Our S-Series just happens to have a gemstone on the 91-92 Twin Cams, similar to that of the "Ram's Horn" Corvette manifolds from the 1960s. Most salvage yards do not worry about such matters, so they sell much cheaper than what they could probably charge for them.

So, yes. That is why so many 1991-1992 Saturn Twin Cams are missing the manifolds, especially if the engines are bad(which they usually are due to not checking the oil level and/or cracked cylinder heads).

Pick-n-Pull must be some big hype around other parts of the world. LKQ is not a big player in my area of Ohio, USA so I wouldn't know. All of the "reputable" salvage yards pull the parts for you, typically, unless you are a regular customer. Then they will let you pull your own parts.

1991 Pontiac Grand Am @ 140k - More rust than paint & no leaks
1995 Saturn SC2 @ 181k - 17.2538 @ 77.91mph w/Stock TB
Mechanic: I can't fix stupid, but I can fix what stupid does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote