SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
jim_tim
jim_tim is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Default saturn sl fog lamp install

i bought a 2002 saturn sl and want to put fog lamps in it from an sl2. has anyone done this and what are some tips and how hard is it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jim_tim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jim_tim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jim_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: saturn sl fog lamp install

It's not bad if you have a few hours and some basic electrical skills. http://saturnwiki.net/index.php/Seco...rcuit_retrofit. Your car should already have wiring from the switch location to the fusebox. You just need to install the switch, the necessary jumpers in the fusebox to plug in the fuse and relay, and add the single (+) wire to power them (make sure it's appropriately sized--16 should be the smallest gauge, I'd recommend 14 to be safe if you're using 50 watt bulbs (the larger the wire, the brighter the lights will be because there is less of a voltage drop due to resistance). I used 12 gauge, but I wanted the option of adding a second pair of lights on the same circuit if I ever wanted to.

As for the lights themselves, I recommend OE lights from a junkyard car. Many people will recommend aftermarket, but they're typically not legal ("for off road use only"), and the beam pattern is rarely as good as OE; if you can find good aftermarket ones, the beam pattern should be much better, but the factory one is acceptable, and much better than any of the cheap aftermarket ones I've seen.

If you go the JY route, make sure you grab the plugs from the end of the wiring harness (you could actually take the entire harness, but it's probably easier/faster to make your own (just need to add one wire to the existing one)). You can ground to anywhere on the chassis. I put mine right on the battery to chassis ground bolt from the factory (under the intake; be sure to remove any corrosion to get a good connection).

If you want them to be reliable, be sure to make proper wire connections (solder and shirnkwrap). Do not rely on splice or crimp connections, or just twist the wires together (as in the tutorial); they will work fine for a bit, but eventually, they'll stop working (go out completely, or start blinking over bumps), and finding out why is a pain.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Its actually simple, obtain the fog lamps w/ brackets remove the covers on the lower part of the bumper, I didnt remove my bumpers I put the cars on ramps to mount them, They mount to the two end 13mm bolts on the support, Go to your local salvage yard and remove the entire front harness from a fog lamp equipped car, fog lamp relay, fuse, along with the switch on the dash to operate them, Also you will need to remove the 6 electrical pins in the fuse box (2) for the 10 amp fuse and (4) for the Relay and transplant them into your fuse box, everything is all plug and play, I installed fog lamps on both my S-Series Saturns, I did one of them one afternoon and the other the next afternoon, both weren't equipped with them from the factory.

Last edited by SL19302; 10-04-2013 at 09:48 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
1999 SL2

Lots of fog lights available if you troll the junkyards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
Finkle
Finkle is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

This is an old thread, but I wanted to post up my favorite fog lights to retro on.

I use 2000+ celica fog lights. They are projectors that take H3 bulbs, I think they have very good output, are smaller, and have an easy bracket to mount to other cars. Plus the bracket has a vertical adjustment screw built in. I have them on my 02sl, and three or four other cars in the past. Whenever I see a pair in the junkyard, I grab them for future use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Finkle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Finkle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote