SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #21
Skinner
Skinner is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: '98 SL2 Catalytic Converter for California. Can I install one?

I am new to the forums and am not sure where to ask this. I have a 2002 SL2 with CA. emissions, but live in NY. Can I put a federal regulated catcon on without setting off the SES or CES. I don't know if the ECM or the O2 sensor are able to pick up on this. Thanks for any help in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Skinner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Skinner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #22
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
I am new to the forums and am not sure where to ask this. I have a 2002 SL2 with CA. emissions, but live in NY. Can I put a federal regulated catcon on without setting off the SES or CES. I don't know if the ECM or the O2 sensor are able to pick up on this. Thanks for any help in advance
You will have to check your county for emission related laws.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Skinner, is there a check engine light on and if so, what's the error code? Here on the Right Coast, New York allows car owners to visit any auto store that provides free scans for error codes. Autozone. They connect to your car, download and display error code(s) and may print out results for customers otherwise insist on being shown whatever's displayed and write down error codes. Google for definitions.

If the catcon needs to be replaced, check with NYS DMV online or call to ask about replacing catcons from a California car being registered in New York and if there are any special considerations. Unlike California, NYS does not use tailpipe analyzers on vehicles with OBD II (vehicles from '96 and up) to follow federal emissions. If I'm not mistaken, as long as the check engine light remains off/all emissions monitors have passed to indicate on any reader/scan tool displaying 'READY', a vehicle meets NYS emissions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:39 AM   #24
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

It amazes me how much CARB compliant cats cost. I can buy an entire car in Michigan for the cost of one lol. With no emission checks here it’s somewhat regular to see cars with clearly no cats installed (you can smell the raw fuel coming out of the exhaust when sitting a light) and I’ve never heard of anyone getting policed by it. I even know some ghetto shops that are willing to remove cats if your clogs up/fails and you give them the “I’m poor” story. They’ll just weld in a pipe and get you back on the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #25
Skinner

2002 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

There is no code, no ses, no ces.
Here is my screwed up issue. The flange connecting the head pipe to the intermediate pipe is so rusted and rotted that it cannot be bolted back together(it is pretty much missing at this point). It is leaking at the flange. Due to the fact that the O2 sensor is right there, I can't even get someone to sleeve it. I don't weld and do not have a lift so on my back makes it really tough. The cost of the head pipe with converter is just about $1100 from GM parts with CA emissions. No shop in NY can put in a non CARB compliant system without risking getting into some serious trouble. I hate doing exhaust work since I'm in NY and everything rusts so fast and so bad, I don't want to risk breaking every bolt, plus I really don't have the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Skinner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #26
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Did you check AMazon?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #27
Skinner

2002 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Did you check AMazon?
Yes I have. There is only 1 that is CARB compliant and it is just a stand alone converter. I would still have to rebuild the rest of the system with misc pipes as well as weld in a port for the O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #28
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I've been down this road. Honestly the cheapest way to go is to use an approved weld on converter and pay a shop to weld it on. Even in California dollars the labor wasn't too bad.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #29
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I don't suppose a letter-punch kit would work? Change the part number to the CARB compliant one...lol

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6610-3.../dp/B000NPUKY8

All the local shops I've had do my welding charged "x" time based on their standard labor rate. Having more fun now with my own 110v flux-core so it's been a while since I've had to pay someone but I can't imagine the rate has changed too much unless they have a 1hr min or add in the cost of a full wire spool...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #30
Skinner

2002 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I've been down this road. Honestly the cheapest way to go is to use an approved weld on converter and pay a shop to weld it on. Even in California dollars the labor wasn't too bad.

-Robert
now that is something I didn't think of. CARB compliant catcon, then just get someone to weld it in, and then sleeve it to the intermediate pipe. Thanks, I will have to look into that one. Great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that. 50K on the car and only put about $1k into it since new in 2002, not including the essentials like brakes and oil changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!