SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
rcw3586
rcw3586 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1994 SL
Default Re: How To: Clutch Hydraulic system with pics

This is a great how-to and I wish I had found it before having done this myself.
I do wish I had removed the brake master for access, as with one hand I was unable to get enough torque on the new unit to twist it into place. I ended up knocking the rubber cover loose on the new clutch master and spilling brake fluid. (this may be why it's not working well)

One other tip I would add to this:
It is far easier to access the clutch pedal and clip from above than below. I personally don't work well standing on my head.

Removing the top of the dash is simple. Just pop out the two screw covers at the ends, unscrew the two screws, carefully pry up the near edge of the dash cover and then pull it out of the retainers towards you. Just be patient so you don't break off any tabs. Remove the felt sound deadener blanket and you're in. Now you can look right down through the windshield and see everything which is in easy reach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rcw3586's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rcw3586 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rcw3586 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
Tercero
Tercero is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Old thread, but extremely valuable for its information.

For Canadians, I priced out the part from Ideal Supply (NAPA). They wanted $261 plus tax. A tad pricey. I found the EXACT same part on ebay from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310494111175...A:3160&vxp=mtr

Or look up 91-99 Saturn S Hydraulic Clutch Slave/Master Cylinder.

1 year warranty and it's the complete kit.

1AAuto. It's $119 plus $14 for shipping and a $19 dollar import tax fee. A hell of a lot cheaper obviously, for the same kit.

$154.33 in total shipped to my door. The only hiccup (and it's not much of one) is they UPS it to a central clearing hub in KY, and then hand it off to USPS who then hands it off to CanadaPost. So all in all about 7 days (business) for shipping. Not bad. It'd probably quicker from Ideal but you'll pay for that won't you?

And it's an easy easy fix by the way. I did this in Jan (2013) when the outside temps in Barrie were -20C and still got it done in 45 minutes.

Thanks again for the great pictures by the way.

T>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tercero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tercero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tercero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #23
karcher
karcher is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

i just did this today on a 2002 SL2. The entire job took three hours with me being very careful, refurbishing some of the bolts and wires where battery acid was spilled, and an oil change.

The only update I have is that it was easier to detach the master cylinder and anti-lock brake distribution block (keep them as one unit) and sliding the hard plastic line between them and the frame.

Thanks again for all the excellent write-ups on this site!

2002 SL2 - Manual Trans - 198,000 miles - lots of replaced parts :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to karcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help karcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
karcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #24
demoncamber
demoncamber is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Does this fix the issue where it's hard to get into 1st gear and reverse at times?

///M5sc2-126k-5spd-Eagle GT's
-2x Alpine TypeS 12in 1223D -Kenwood KAC8104D -Audiobahn A4401T
-Alpine SPS-600c - Infinity Kappa 62.9I - 1.5f Cap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to demoncamber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help demoncamber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
demoncamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #25
marsneptune
marsneptune is on a distinguished road

When removing the slave cylinder, the pushrod fell off and disappeared down into the clutch fork housing. So....

1. Other than the possibility of not being able to engage the clutch at an inopportune moment (because the rod had worked itself into a place that prevented clutch fork movement), is that rod likely to do any major damage if I leave it? Could it get caught in the splines of the pressure plate? could it get caught between the clutch and the flywheel?

2. What would be required to retrieve the pushrod? Would i need to pull the transmission and/or flywheel housing, or would there be some plate I could remove and gain access from the bottom?

Thanks

Last edited by marsneptune; 06-03-2016 at 04:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marsneptune's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marsneptune reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marsneptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #26
97sl5spd
97sl5spd is on a distinguished road

Yeah just did mine on a 97 sl. So freaking easy it ain't funny.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97sl5spd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97sl5spd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97sl5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:25 AM   #27
astraowners
astraowners is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: How To: Clutch Hydraulic system with pics

Thanks for the Photos and how-to it was spot on genius how you solve your problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to astraowners's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help astraowners reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
astraowners is offline   Reply With Quote