SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #81
jamesq
jamesq is on a distinguished road

Default Re: "S" Series automatic transaxle fluid/filter change

I changed the ATF in my previously owned 98 SW2 this past weekend, but I have a lingering concern.
*The dip stick says use Dexron IIE.* I let it drain probably 40 min. until it was dripping ever 20 seconds or so. I then filled with 4 qts. started it up, ran for several min., went through the gears, put in park and checked the level. It was reading way on the low side. So I added .25 qt. and went for a short test drive. Still showing 3/8" below the "Ok" range. At the risk of over filling, added another couple ounces. Still says low.
So, did the previous owner switch dipsticks for some unknown reason?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jamesq's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jamesq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jamesq is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #82
BrendanD
BrendanD is on a distinguished road

Hey folks, newbie here looking for some advice.

Ordered a transmission filter from my local GM dealer today for the transmission. They also are going to put oil aside for me when I pick up the filter tomorrow. The oil they are selling me is Canadian part number 10953626. I'm assuming this is or the equivalent to what used to be Saturn Transaxle Fluid? Would Mobil 1 synthetic ATF be better or would what the dealership recommends be better? This is the first fluid change for the tranny. It's a 2001 SL1, with 96K KM (not miles, sorry not sure what the conversion is). I'm not expecting it to last forever but I'd like to try to get another year maybe 2 out of it and I don't have a problem paying a few extra bucks for the Mobil 1 if it's better.

Also when I install the new filter on the transaxle should I pour any oil into the new filter or put it on dry? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrendanD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrendanD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrendanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #83
Spazzfrom1989
Spazzfrom1989 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
You will need:
A drain pan capable of holding 2 GALLONS (8 quarts) of liquid
Set of metric wrenches
Oil GOOD filter wrench
RAGS
7 quarts of clean ATF (Mobil 1 synthetic ATF HIGHLY recommended)
Replacement transaxle filter (Buy it from SATURN, not the autoparts store)

Proceed as follows.

Just prior to the day you are going to change the fluid, CHECK IT with the dipstick (HOT in PARK engine RUNNING) to confirm it is full. (You'll understand why later)

The fluid can be changed COLD or WARM (NOT HOT)

1. Remove the air cleaner "box"
2. Remove the battery and battery tray*
*Gives better access to the FILTER, but may not be 100% necessary. IF you have a THEFT DETERRANT RADIO make SURE you have the unlock code BEFORE removing the battery. If you do not, DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!
3. Under the car, driver's side, position the drain pan under the transaxle drain plug (differential case) and remove the drain plug. When the plug comes out the fluid will RUSH out VERY QUICKLY, be ready
4. While the fluid is draining, use your oil filter wrench to remove the transaxle filter (turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE) Very little fluid will run out of the filter when it comes off. BE CAREFULL, there are TWO SENSORS mounted in VERY close proximity to the filter. Use caution around the sensors and wires.
5. Wipe off any residue from the filter mount area. If there is a magnet mounted on the filter mounting area, remove it and wipe it off, then replace it ONLY IF USING A FILTER PURCHASED FROM A SATURN DEALER.
6. Smear a thin coat of ATF on the new filter gasket and install the new filter. Tighten it 1/2~3/4 of a turn after the gasket contacts the base. BE CAREFUL not to get any of the sensor wires between the filter and its base, and not to damage either of the sensors!
7. Reinstall the battery, battery tray (if removed) and airfilter box.
8. Under the car, wipe off the drain plug area and reinstall the drain plug.
9. Pour 1 full quart of NEW fluid into the dipstick tube for the transaxle. Then refill the EMPTY bottle with dirty fluid from the drain pan. Continue this NEW in refill bottle with OLD sequence until there is LESS than 1 quart of dirty fluid left in the pan. (You should have 1 empty bottle and maybe 1 or perhaps 2 full ones left at this point)
10. Pour the remaining dirty fluid into the empty bottle. There will be a scale on the side of the bottle so you can tell how much is in it. Using that scale as a guide, add the equivalent amount of CLEAN fluid to the transaxle.
11. Replace the dipstick and start the car. LOOK FOR LEAKS! Especially around the filter! If you spot a leak near the filter, just snug it up a little more. No leaks? Let the car RUN for 10 Minutes
12. With the car RUNNING and in PARK, check the fluid level. It "should" be exactly were it was when you checked it "dirty" as you have effectively put back in the same amount of clean fluid as you drained out dirty. If it needs to be topped up, do it SLOWLY and CAREFULLY a little a time.

Wash your hands and go for a test drive. Recheck the level when you get back.

NOTE: Saturn recommends checking the transaxle level on the dipstick 3~5 times in rapid succession to ensure an accurate reading.
Hello Wolfman..I drive a 97 SL1 SOHC 1.9 Automatic with 236k miles..I have been reading up on your advice lately..I have a couple specific questions if you will.

First..I been using MAXLIFE DEX3 with LUCAS heavy duty tran oil..If I switch to Mobil 1 Syn..is it necessary to to still purchase the LUCAS heavy tran oil? (I only buy it cuz I use cheaper oil and plus you only change it so often..so might as well use good stuff). I will also stop buying my filters from AutoZone and from the Saturn direct like you said.

Secondly..I changed my oils & filters (bosch engine/and a red one for tranny) monday..i ended up putting a quart and a half more than needing in the tranny (lol) the symptoms were noticeable..1000 idle at park and neutral..late shifting and a lil rough in between..i drove only for one day and a lil the next morning..maybe 30 no more than 40 miles..i noticed 2 or 3 tiny bubbles and looked to here..bad sign..so i drained it..and now it runs great! It idles Park and Neural at 700..and Drive/Reverse is 600. I used the lucas and maxlife..and ended up changing it 13k miles after..just over a year. My question is..is there any need to do a new drain? or am I fine? Did i catch it quick enough? i noticed the bubbles had gone down about 50 percent..so there are only 2 little maybe 3 tiny spec of bubbles..the trans oil appears a light see through pink..so it is a bit hard to see it unless you put it in the right angle of light..but it shifts great..and I ejected some rear end white smoke after pushing gas in park..then it was fine after that no more smoke..I might have over filled just a tad..the day before when i had a quart and a half..smoke came out as soon as i hit ignition (white smoke with a sweet smell) my coolant is green..engine is a light brown..and trans is a light pink..with a tiny bubble or two every so dipstick pull..

I have a 1997 SL1 SOHC 1.9 Automatic with 236k miles..dad had it for 10 years (he took it to Saturn dealer)..I'll be going on 7 this fall..I haven't always shown love to my ride..mostly out of ignorance and arrogance..mostly ignorance..but no more!

A response from you, Mr. Wolfman..would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you =]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazzfrom1989's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazzfrom1989 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazzfrom1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #84
Bdpennington
Bdpennington is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Does it typically use all 7 quarts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bdpennington's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bdpennington reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bdpennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #85
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdpennington View Post
Does it typically use all 7 quarts?
The total capacity is 7.25 Qts. You will only get about 4 Qts out when you remove the drain plug. Most of the remainder stays in the Torque Converter - some in the Valve Body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 AM   #86
buysellny
buysellny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
Whats up with that?

Cant agree more. Have seen a few trans problems solved by changing fluid and using stock trans filter over aftermarket..... reason maybe?
Saturn.is out of business. AC Delco is what I need??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buysellny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buysellny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buysellny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:32 PM   #87
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by buysellny View Post
Saturn.is out of business. AC Delco is what I need??
The tranny filter of choice is the Wix 57101

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote