SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
mcentyre
mcentyre is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Vue Greenline - Troubleshoot hybrid

Hi,
I have a 2007 Vue Greenline. The hybrid functions are no longer engaging. In other words, the gauge never shows charge or assist. There are no codes related to the hybrid system however the charging of the 12v battery is working fine as this been the condition for the past month or so.

Any ideas on troubleshooting steps to determine where the problem is? Are there any PIDs i can read with the OBD 2 reader that might indicate the issue? I haven't taken it to the dealer. It's a 2007 with over 200k miles. I'm not sure it's worth the investment they'd ask for.

Also, the hybrid battery recalls were performed, years ago. Replaced twice as I recall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcentyre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcentyre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mcentyre is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2007 Vue Greenline - Troubleshoot hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcentyre View Post
Hi,

Also, the hybrid battery recalls were performed, years ago. Replaced twice as I recall.
So, to recall, twice , you recall, the recall being performed.?

I seem to recall some aftermarket support for many different hybrids.
Even DIY
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...y%20rebuilding

http://www.falconhybrid.com/category-s/1832.htm

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:53 AM   #3
mcentyre

Yes, the two recalls were definitely completed.

Thanks for the links on the batteries, but how can I determine that it's the batteries that's the problem? Is there a way to test the charging system for those batteries or test the batteries?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mcentyre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:

Is there a way to test the charging system for those batteries or test the batteries?
ALLDATA knows, I'm sure, as well as those replacing/rebuilding batt packs.

I'd be peeved, too, with the (apparently) short battery life.

A guess:
I don't know the design of thse hybrid systems, but do know that they use regenerative braking for supplementary charge ,and possibly, a lead foot so as to activate it's use. If you're not braking much/mashing the gas, because of good driving habits, it's possible that the battpack isn't getting enough "excercise".

As they say, "use it or lose it".

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
mcentyre

Rest assured my problem is not good driving habits.

If anyone can tell me how to test the batteries, it would be much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Rest assured my problem is not good driving habits.

If anyone can tell me how to test the batteries, it would be much appreciated.
I don't have a hybrid but do have FSM - there appears to be decent information in hybrid section ... including wiring interconnects and diagnostic trouble codes. I can extract and email a few samples to see if the information is helpful.

PM email address if interested.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
Mashermoto
Mashermoto has a spectacular aura aboutMashermoto has a spectacular aura aboutMashermoto has a spectacular aura about

mcentyre, sorry you are having hybrid battery problems. You will find a lot of people don't understand EV and Hybrid batteries. My experience is a dealership is the worst place for help.

I have a 2009 Saturn Vue Hybrid with bad hybrid batteries. The Vue Hybrid is a weak hybrid electric vehicle. The batteries generally don't function for much more than to supply power to the Auto Stop feature. You do get some boost assistance upon acceleration, but not much.

A few ways you can tell if you have bad batteries is the engine codes, dash board errors and checking individual voltages of each battery cell.

Engine codes you might incur have to do with the hybrid battery temperature sensor. An indication of a bad hybrid battery in our cars is high battery temps. You will likely get a check engine light if this occurs. The 2009 Vue Hybrid has three 12 volt batteries connected in series to produce 36 volts Direct Current. Each 12 volt battery is actually two cells connected together. So, in all, there are 6 battery cells. The temp sensors are a simple wire with a connector on one end and a temp sensor called a thermistor sensor on the other end. The sole purpose of the temp sensor is to monitor battery heat. If the heat goes beyond norms, you will get an error code reported. Go to a local parts store that will read error codes for free and see if you get any hybrid battery errors reported. GM sells the temp sensor for around $75 to $100 for a pack of three. Too bad you can't get them at Radio Shack because then you could likely buy a pack of three for $15 I'm not just ranting, this is really a simple over priced part. A temp sensor error may be because the temp sensor is bad, the hybrid battery is going bad or both.

The next indication you might see is on the dash board warning. My car began reporting "check hybrid system" and the charge/assist gauge would not report a charge or assist event. In other words the hybrid system quit working, including auto stop. Sometimes, the warning was persistent and sometimes it was random. Like noted above, see a parts store to read engine codes if you get such warnings.

BTW, you can clear engine codes by disconnecting the negative battery cable on the 12 volt battery under the engine hood. Wait 5 to 15 minutes and the codes should clear. This will allow you to drive the vehicle for a while and see if the same engine codes happen again. Sometimes a car will send a random engine code not related to a true problem. If the error code keeps coming back, the code probably isn't lying to you.

So, if you are fairly convinced the hybrid battery is bad, you have a couple of options. One is to take it to the dealership and pay I'm guessing $2,500 to $5,000 to have them replace the battery pack, or the other option is to fix it yourself. If you are fairly confident working on cars, and you want to do it yourself, then the methodology is to remove the battery pack and check the voltage of each battery cell. The one with voltage lower than the other cells is the bad one. GM sells a hybrid battery pack for around $850 after a core return. Hazardous material shipping will be extra as well. I've seen some Vue Hybrid batteries on Ebay, but buyer be ware. Those are generally used batteries.

The hybrid battery is located behind the rear seats. This post is already a bit lengthy, so I won't go into how to remove the battery and perform the maintenance. But, I found everything to do it on the internet. Takes a bit of research and studying how other hybrid batteries are worked on because very little useful information is available for the Vue hybrid batteries. But once you see how other EV batteries work it is somewhat the same for others. There are a few Youtube videos of mechanics repairing a Toyota Prius battery that was useful. Unlatching the rear seats on your 2007 is also different than my 2009. Figuring out how to raise the rear seats was a lot more difficult than working on the battery in my case.

GM had a lot of problems with the Vue Hybrid batteries. I had a pack replaced shortly after buying my new car. I'm in the process of replacing the batteries now. So this will be the third battery pack for my car. I found one temp sensor that was bad in the current battery pack as well. Just use your ohm meter to check the sensors. The one bad on my car read no resistance, which means an open circuit. It was reported to me by people in the business of working on EV batteries that GM tried three times before they got the chemistry right on these hybrid batteries. If you take the battery pack out and find visual indication of corrosion you probably have a bad hybrid battery. Especially if corrosion is detected at the bottom of the battery.

I know this might have been like taking a drink from a fire hose, but I just wanted to share my experience with you. Hope you find the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mashermoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mashermoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mashermoto is offline   Reply With Quote