SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
HPAGE86
HPAGE86 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
2000 SL2
Default Ignition issue

Hello, this is my last ditch effort to get some learning about this subject. Spent half the day on Google, and been poking and prodding myself, but I am not an automobile guru by any means--although, i'm not an idiot either.

With that said, i could use some input on this issue.

My girlfriend has a 2000 SC2 automatic ( I think---they all look the same) and yesterday it would not turn over. The lights come on, instrument cluster all lights up and door buzzer does its thing---so the battery is good.

My next thought---starter relay---turns out this model does not have a starter relay I found in my research, so onto the next thing.

Fuses--checked all fuses with a multimeter for continuity, every one of them are fine. Onto the next thing.

Security lock---found a guy on youtube claiming there is a theft deterrent, if the security light on dash is blinking the fuel pump will not engage therefore not allowing the car to start---the security light is not blinking, so onto the next thing.

Starter--man, what a stupid location for that one! I dont own any ramps, and not gonna trust the spare jack to get under it. Gotta reach my arm all the way behind, down, and under to reach the posts the purple wire connect to, anyways, checked the starter for voltage at the posts near that purple wire, and was seeing 12V--so, that should be good. Onto the next thing...

I tried to make sure the shifter was totally disengaged and in Park, so i smacked it a few times, it seems to be in Park as it should be...so, at this point I'm inclined to think ignition switch...

The whole ignition is 2 parts i believe--the switch and the cylinder/tumblers.
The thing turns clean and free, so i make the assumption that it is the electrical portion of the switch.

Now, I am not one to want to just throw parts at it, the switch alone is $80 and $10 for the Harbor Freight female Torx sockets....how would one tell for sure its the ignition switch??? I went to autozone, o'riley, and advance--none of them have it (the electric portion of the switch) in stock, so i would have to order it.

Any thoughts or idea about how to trouble shoot this further would be greatly appreciated. Should i just do the switch? Or, if you think I may have made a mistake in my troubleshooting process, please, by all means, correct me. Sorry for the long-winded nature of this post, just wanted to be through.

Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HPAGE86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HPAGE86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HPAGE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Ignition issue

Did you measure 12v on the purple wire with the key in START? If not in start then ther is NO 12v on the purple wire. If you found 12V in start and no crank the starter is shot. It is either the starter or the neutral switch which is the 2 wire connector with 2 purple wires on the switch located on the transmission closest to the firewall. There is also a 2nd plug in that switch with a bunch of wires.

New starter from DB Electric. Cheap enough you can go buy a set of ramps and have money left over. http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1009-s...02-satrun.aspx

I would suspect the starter or neutral switch, try in both park and neutral.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
HPAGE86

2009 AURA XE
2000 SL2

Yes, the key was in the start position. I neglected to mention that. And it did read 12v in that position. So, then the starter is getting fire, its just not engaging. So the starter is bad. Just for the sake of being sure--how certain are you that is all it is? I understand, and think i will go that route--replacing the starter. And holy crap, how can db electrical charge so little for that part? Autozone and everyone else wanted 150$! Thanks for that heads-up oldnuc. Your time is very much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HPAGE86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

They all come from the same or similar Asian factory and some places just want a higher markup.

Yes, sounds like you need a starter and you will have enough for a set of Rhino Ramps and still not break the local price. Local parts may actually price match this. http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1009-s...02-satrun.aspx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
HPAGE86

2009 AURA XE
2000 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: Ignition issue

Thanks oldnuc. I went ahead and ordered that starter. Not bad with shipping, not bad at all. Thanks again man. You saved me time and some dough! I'll most likely post after i get it and get it on the car, see if that did the trick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You will need this info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRqE9cqnn7g

Be sure to carefully clean off the bolts and brush out the bolt holes so reinstall is not a horror show. Clean with any cheap mineral spirits and a round fiber or nylon brush. Clean off the area around where the starter mounts as well, you will be real glad you did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPAGE86 View Post
Hello, this is my last ditch effort to get some learning about this subject. Spent half the day on Google, and been poking and prodding myself, but I am not an automobile guru by any means--although, i'm not an idiot either.

With that said, i could use some input on this issue.

My girlfriend has a 2000 SC2 automatic ( I think---they all look the same) and yesterday it would not turn over. The lights come on, instrument cluster all lights up and door buzzer does its thing---so the battery is good.
I certainly hope that your battery is good. However, it is possible for a battery to read 12V and have various electrical components function, but not be able to sustain a load (the power drawn from the battery to engage the starter while maintaining the required voltage for the charging system to function fully after the starter is disengaged). I saw this type of battery failure many times over many years at different automotive repair and parts businesses. If your battery was fully tested and was good then replacing the starter should go well and correct your problem. If it's not been tested then you should have it done as soon as you can.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:12 AM   #8
Saturn2002SL2
Saturn2002SL2 is on a distinguished road

I heard that this can also be because the car "thinks" it's being stolen...

1988 RX7 Manual
Bought in 2000 for $1,500 @ 108,200 Miles
Sold in 2001 for $1,700 @ 114,600 Miles

2002 SL2 Manual
Bought in 2002 for $19,895 @ 26 Miles
As of 06/15/16 @ 150,203 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn2002SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn2002SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn2002SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Your '02 has GM's Passlock factory theft deterrent system. When it think its being stolen, Passlock detects the attempt and disables injectors while flashing the security indicator.

Saturn models from 2000+ have various factory theft deterrent systems to make it easier for owners not to add aftermarket alarm systems. When activated, Passlock disables injector operation or starting (Ions). By disabling injectors from software embedded in every engine computer and body control module, stealing a car is difficult to all but the smart thief. Passlock sensors detect the ignition key turning in a precise sequence of events to either allow injectors to operate or not. The key to Saturn security is simply using the ignition key which is also its weakness. Attempts to use any other method to start Saturns can result in injectors failing to operate - the starter turns over the engine but the engine won't fire up as security flashes. Simple during a time when car thefts were great and security was an afterthought until car makers realized a simple addition to programming eliminates aftermarket security systems while affording insurance discounts. Security for most cars, trucks and suvs are now standard on all makes while trying to stay one step ahead of thieves. Even the rfid chip embedded key or keyless ignition system are being defeated by intelligent thieves. For the majority of car owners, factory security that disables one part of the EFI system is the latest method to prevent car theft short of stealing a vehicle on a flat bed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

I've done the starters many times myself......

From experience --- remove the passenger's side wheel - and take out the liner... You can actually see what you're doing then.....

If you've got time -- use a good degreaser and spray the area above the starter - hose it off - and let dry..... It tends to be pretty mucky back there...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote