SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Carlsonnr
Carlsonnr is on a distinguished road

Default Part Number

Hello all so over the last few months its been getting warmer and now with the increased heat my 1996 SW2 is overheating and coolant comes pouring out on he passenger side. I Asked my dad about it and he thinks i need a coolant fan switch/sensor. The only thing is i can't find that anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlsonnr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlsonnr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlsonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Part Number

Guide: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37884

Just about any parts store should have the ECTS in stock for $10-$15.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

The first thing I would check is to see whether or not your coolant reservoir cap is up to the challenge of a fully pressurized system. If the coolant cap does not allow the cooling system to pressurize properly than the coolant has a much lower boiling point and will make a big mess when it boils over. The cap may look good even if it is not and this is probably the most likely part to fail with the symptoms you described. A new cap should only cost you $5 at the regular auto stores. The coolant fan is triggered through the PCM by the ECTS reading. If you have not replaced the resin ECTS with a brass one that is also something that you should make sure to do.

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

^ ^ ^ Yeah, you want to be sure of what the problem is before you start buying parts. Could be a $5 cap, could be the ECTS, could be a dead water pump.

Does it overheat when you are going down the road, or only when you are stopped/driving slowly? Does the engine fan turn on?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Carlsonnr
Carlsonnr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
^ ^ ^ Yeah, you want to be sure of what the problem is before you start buying parts. Could be a $5 cap, could be the ECTS, could be a dead water pump.

Does it overheat when you are going down the road, or only when you are stopped/driving slowly? Does the engine fan turn on?
The fan doesn't turn on. I've monitored it with a scan tool and the temp reads to ~200 degrees and it boils over at that point. It overheats at a stand still

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlsonnr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlsonnr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlsonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

Definitely sounds like a bad coolant reservoir cap to me if it is boiling over at that temperature. The fan should not come on until you are around 220F or so. If you want to make sure the fan works just jump it or turn on the A/C.

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote