SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
WorldTour
WorldTour is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Anyone have info about swapping 06-07 parts, door panels, gauges, etc., into 04-05?

Hi All.

I have been registered for a few years but just now am posting. There is a great amount of knowledge here and this forum it is a great resource for any Vue owner. Hopefully this thread may add some information to this resource.

Having access to a wrecked 06 Redline, I have been swapping some parts to my 04 non Redline 3.5. So far, I have put in the black Redline carpet, center console, the leather/suede seats, and the aluminum gas pedal. Non RL specific, I put on the 06 silver/leather shift knob and the silver bezel around the shifter with the lighted gear indicator. I would like to do the door panels too, as IMO they look better than the 04-05.

I really like the RL gauges and put them in. While it worked, it lit the SVS wrench (not the check engine) light for some reason. I had read that others have been successful with not having lights on with their swaps, sometimes even from other GM cars.

Another odd occurrence is that after installing the parts, I can no longer do the enhanced Saturn specific OBDii scan. I had been able to run the Saturn specific scan on both vehicles prior to swapping. This does not affect the ability to have the car smogged as the car just passed the smog test.

This is the list of things that were swapped that were electrical in nature and might have affected the Enhanced OBDii scan: 06 Redline gauge cluster, 06 Redline gas pedal and position sensor, 06 silver bezel around the shifter.

So, I am interested in any info on the gauge SVS light situation, the inability to now do Enhanced Saturn OBDii scans, and the compatibility of the 06-07 door panels in an 04.

If anyone has any questions on what I have done so far, feel free to ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WorldTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WorldTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Anyone have info about swapping 06-07 parts, door panels, gauges, etc., into 04-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTour View Post
So, I am interested in any info on the gauge SVS light situation, the inability to now do Enhanced Saturn OBDii scans, and the compatibility of the 06-07 door panels in an 04.
Your first post is a good one with some not so common information.

Re SVS ... see GM service manual extract - I picked 07 because I had that section open - you'll note a few items which could be causing SVS to remain lighted (and my personal suspect is fourth from top).

I don't know what you mean by Enhanced Saturn OBDii scans ... I take care of 05, 06 and two 07 Vues (3.5) and use same scan tool for all of them. What would I expect to see in Enhanced category?

You probably be better off to do a trial fit of door panel - unless a technician or knowledgeable owner can confirm the panels can be exchanged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen_2016-05-28 15.27.41.jpg (63.8 KB, 10 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
WorldTour

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Anyone have info about swapping 06-07 parts, door panels, gauges, etc., into 04-0

Thank you for posting that extract. Your reference to number 4 on that list is spot on: "The IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) detects a mismatch between its part number and the vehicle platform configuration."

I did not mention in my post that I switched back to my original cluster and the SVS light no longer lit up but I could still not do the enhanced OBDii scan. When switching back, I noticed number strings on the gauges. The Redline gauge had "50 DRL 06" and mine had "50 DS 04". It appears that they are differentiating by trim level and year. DS may be "Display Standard" and DRL may be "Display RedLine". The 04 and 06 are in reference to the year. It was also interesting that there was not also only a part number but a SERIAL number as well.

So it appears the gauge swap is causing the SVS light and now we know most likely why it is being illuminated. What we don't know is whether it is the difference in the trim level, the year, or just different cluster serial numbers is causing the SVS light to come on.

I suspect if I had access to a GM Tech2 dealer diagnostic tool I could change the information from my gauge over to the Redline gauge. Too bad they are so expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WorldTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
WorldTour

2004 VUE 3.5L

An Enhanced Saturn OBDii scan has manufacturer specific codes with information specific to the manufacturer. This is different from the generic OBDii scan with generic codes for all makes of vehicles. For example, my basic Actron CP9125 scanner will not even scan the generic codes on a Vue. A typically more expensive scanner is required just to scan the Vue. On more expensive scanners, they will also scan the manufacturer codes. An example would be a transmission default code. My Innova 3130 allows you to select "Enhanced Saturn" in addition to "OBDii Generic".

I am still at a loss as to why I lost the ability to run the Enhanced scan on both vehicles, even after swapping the gauges back. The only other electronic swaps were the gas pedal position sensor attached to the redline pedal and the silver bezel and gear indicator around the shifter. I would be surprised if either of these has caused the Enhanced scan to not run.

In regards to the panels, there are differences in the mounting. The 04 has a screw/bolt on the bottom and the 06 has 2 plastic panel retainers on the side of the panel. There may be other differences. I will probably swap one front panel and then one rear panel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!